Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Happy 10th Anniversary, GameCube

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

The Gamecube was a beast, it was super portable and pretty much damn near indestructible. I remember lugging that thing around to my friends house and never once worried about it breaking while it bounced around in my backpack, it through hell and back and never once complained. I still have the Black Gamecube I got in 2002 and the games I felt that were worth keeping, I really should hook it up and celebrate it's 10th birthday.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

One of the last launch systems I ever purchased. I bought it for Rogue Leader and Played that game still. I still have my original game saves on my original memory card plugged now in the Wii. The system for me ended up being played more than the Wii. I preferred it over playing the Xbox and still have my original system and box from launch.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last generation I was firmly in the PS2 camp the entire ride. I didn't care for Xbox pardon the Sega exclusives and even then the price was not appealing - I don't think I'll ever get that system.

GameCube was a little different, it was cheaper and for the first time Nintendo choose optical media over cartridges. There was in general a pretty neutral attitude towards the system pardon one individual I know locally so I didn't have much bias for or against it. I recall many evenings at my friends house with his 50"+ projection television watching Super Mario Sunshine and The Wind Waker and generally being interested. This is in great contrast to Nintendo 64 which I had no interest in and for various reasons had a dislike towards.

Later on I connected with another friend dumping plenty of hours in Super Smash Bros Melee and then some (since his save file was deleted, meaning redo of getting all the trophies, stages, characters, etc..). I also became interested in Metroid Prime but having no GCN of my own I was at a loss. However, in 2009 I picked up my first GameCube (black) at a Goodwill for $5 with 3rd party controller so I was able to borrow MP, a memory card, and power cable to finally get my feet wet. Metroid Prime is a fantastic game and surely one of the best on GameCube as I learned however I decided the time wasn't right so I sold my Cube off when it was then still profitable.

This past year after finding Twilight Princess at another thrift for under $5 I decided once again to find a system - this time for keeps. I managed to get an Indigo system with the Digital / RGB port on the rear and with a solid lens , also under $5. I've managed to slowly build up a nice library (TP, SSBM, MP, MP2:E, F-Z:GX, TWW) and just today I finally scored Super Mario Sunshine, a game I always quite enjoyed when it was new and somehow had it elude me in brief searching locally. A nice coincidence considering the anniversary. All the same, a good system and one I have not much beef with.
    Last edited by fahlim003; 11-19-2011 at 04:15 PM.
    Whaddya mean invalid parameters?!

9,000 gigs of ram and it still can't answer a simple question!

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    Eternal Darkness
    F-Zero GX
    Medal of Honor Frontline
    Metroid Prime
    Nintendo Puzzle Collection
    Pool Paradise
    REmake
    Resident Evil 4
    Tales of Symphonia
    Zelda WindWaker
    To continue the trend, here are my top 10, in no order:
    Super Smash Bros. Melee
    Tales of Symphonia
    Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
    Beyond Good and Evil (still waiting on that sequel that was announced like three years ago!)
    Custom Robo
    The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
    Metroid Prime
    Chibi-Robo
    Timesplitters 2
    Sonic Adventure 2: Battle

Quote Originally Posted by fahlim003
    Later on I connected with another friend dumping plenty of hours in Super Smash Bros Melee and then some (since his save file was deleted, meaning redo of getting all the trophies, stages, characters, etc..). I also became interested in Metroid Prime but having no GCN of my own I was at a loss. However, in 2009 I picked up my first GameCube (black) at a Goodwill for $5 with 3rd party controller so I was able to power MP, a memory card, and power cable to finally get my feet wet.
    Yeah, several of the games I listed above are games I played at a friend's house first. GameCube has many gems that you only know about by word of mouth. Beyond Good and Evil is a prime example of that.
    Last edited by BetaWolf47; 11-19-2011 at 12:42 AM.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

got mine on day one, and loved it..Picked up WaveRace and StarWars...Plus the Resident Evils for there time on it where the shit, and still are good

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Although Gamecube was the last of "the three" (PS2/GC/Xbox) that I purchased, it was my favorite for a good while, starting the moment I got it (early 2003). What killed it for me was that while it had a good stream of releases for most of its life, it really dried up towards the end. By the time the Wii came out, the Gamecube was dead as a doornail, Zelda notwithstanding. Still, it's a damn good system, and a big improvement over the N64 IMO.

Some games I liked:

Viewtiful Joe
    Billy Hatcher
    Alien Hominid
    Go! Go! Hypergrind
    Kururin Squash
    Wario Ware
    Killer 7
    I-Ninja
    Beach Spikers
    Lost Kingdoms

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Ah, the little box that could! I wasn't sure about this machine but my friends were jazzed over Rogue Leader, Monkey Ball and even Luigi's Mansion. So we split the cost (we hung out a lot back then) and picked up a box on launch day. Had a lot of fun times with Luigi followed by the Ball. Eventually my friends didn't play much of the Cube anymore except for maybe Eternal Darkness.

Then I purchased my first Cube when I had the cash-a used model. Sunk my time and teeth into Prince of Persia: Sands of Time (which I read was the best playing version out of the three) and was just mesmerized. My wife wondered if I was addicted as I was always playing it. Then one night she painfully discovered she had a bad kidney stone and had to stay home from work due to the pain to wait it out. She got hooked on Animal Crossing, which then sunk its claws into ME. Then came the battle of Metroid Prime-at first I hated the game. Hated it. Yet I marched forward and after a few upgrades, the world opened and I was in awe. When it came out, I purchased my first RE game, #4. Loved it.

Currently I'm reorganizing the Gaming Stand of Doom and putting some more modern systems in. I think I might have to hook up my brand new silver cube (my original black, which I still have, had its rumble burned out) to honor the time. I've been itching to play the TRUE version of Zelda: Twilight Princess for some time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked up my GameCube in 2002 for Wrestlemania X8. I played the shit outta that game for the better part of the year, then my Cube sat and collected dust for the next 5 years til I sold the piece of shit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

I still remember getting the GC on Christmas morning of '01. My brother and I hyped it up all year and that moment was truly magical. We got Super Smash Brothers to go along with it. We must have played that thing all day! I still remember going out the next day to grab another controller. My dad had seen commercials for Rogue Squadron and actually bought a copy of it that day too. (Keep in mind, he has rarely ever gamed.) Since it was an "air combat" game and all, I wasn't too interested even though it was Star Wars related and all.

Between my brother and I playing Smash Brothers, my dad would break out Rogue Squadron. It turned out to be more than a simple "air fighter" and I eventually played it more than he did. My dad played it on and off for a month and was only about halfway through. I had it mastered, however!

After that, Rogue Squadron became an unexpected part of my gaming collection. I'd never played anything like it before. The experience was almost as eye-opening as playing Ocarina of Time at a friend's house three years prior.

For whatever reason, I rented more than I bought. My collection wasn't very big over the GC's lifespan, and I blamed it on my picky (but ever growing) taste in games. It still isn't that large, and overtime, I've come to learn that the library just wasn't that huge. Despite the modest library, I had an amazing experience with the system. Even after getting a PS1 and PS2 in 2005 and opening myself up to a huge flood of titles that I had missed, nothing matches the time I had with the GC.
    In Heaven, everything is fine.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by duffmanth View Post
    I picked up my GameCube in 2002 for Wrestlemania X8. I played the shit outta that game for the better part of the year, then my Cube sat and collected dust for the next 5 years til I sold the piece of shit.
    That's unfortunate, you should've at least picked up Wrestlemania XIX, Day of Reckoning, and Day of Reckoning 2 and played the shit out of those for the better part of a year each. Then it wouldn't have had to collect dust for more than a couple years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

The Gamecube got me back into console gaming.

After skipping most of the console gaming scene from 1999 - 2002 (PC only during that stretch), I saw video footage of Zelda: Wind Waker in early 2003. I immediately went down to Best Buy and bought an Indigo Super Mario Sunshine Bundle + Rogue Squadron 2 + Resident Evil 0. I preordered Wind Waker (with the free OOT disc) a few weeks later. Been steadily gaming on consoles ever since. It was my only modern console for a good year and a half. Love that little purple box. Still have it hooked up too.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I remember when Animal Crossing came out my friend would bring his gamecube over and we would have two tv's set up with two gamecube's and 2 copies of Animal Crossing. We would play for hours, and would visit each others towns and trade fruit etc.

So many great memories of the GC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    That's unfortunate, you should've at least picked up Wrestlemania XIX, Day of Reckoning, and Day of Reckoning 2 and played the shit out of those for the better part of a year each. Then it wouldn't have had to collect dust for more than a couple years.
    Well after I played Smackdown 2003 for PS2, I believe it was with Brock Lesnar on the cover, Smackdown was my new choice for WWE games at the time. I really wanted the Gamecube to do well. I was such a big Nintendo fan with the NES and SNES, then the N64 came along and that was the beginning of the end for me with Nintendo, minus buying the Cube for Wrestlemania X8.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Well after I played Smackdown 2003 for PS2, I believe it was with Brock Lesnar on the cover
    That would probably be Smackdown Here Comes The Pain, they didn't start yearing them until the 2nd Smackdown vs Raw, (SDvsRaw 2006 which came out in 2005).

But yeah, the PS2 ones started getting a lot better than they had been with that year, so I can see why you jumped ship.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

you bought the cube just to play that?
    Last edited by dairugger; 11-20-2011 at 09:53 PM.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
    I've got a bit of a 'thing' for the GC. If the game is available on Xbox, GC, or PS2 I'll get it on the GC just because.
    I do this too, it's an explicit law. My cross-platform release preference order hasn't changed in nearly ten years.
    1. GC version, then
    2. PS2 if no GC version, or
    3. XBX version if markedly better than PS2 version. [Added clause late 2005]

Quote Originally Posted by Press_Start View Post
    Imho, Nintendo fawning over the "hardcore" was a waste of time and bucking to trends only twisted them into intellectual knots (i.e. Sunshine and Starfox Adventures). Nintendo's at their best when they buck the trends and do video games their way.
    With a little structure and using existing evidence, you can elevate that opinion to a persuasive argument. The only time they did well pursuing that segment was with the SNES, really. They are angling the WiiU as a SNES type repeat, I think. Whether it works and if they can pull it off is where that starts to get interesting. Twice attempting, lightning in a bottle. Takes either guts or stupidity. Time will tell.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[QUOTE=Icarus Moonsight;1871149]I do this too, it's an explicit law. My cross-platform release preference order hasn't changed in nearly ten years.
    1. GC version, then
    2. PS2 if no GC version, or
    3. XBX version if markedly better than PS2 version. [Added clause late 2005]

I always did that too. my reasons were that the loading was fast, and the graphics looked better than ps2, and also because the cube was built tough, so i knew itd be around.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I always went for the Xbox version first. It typically performed the best, had the most features, I had a preference for the Controller S, it had online capabilities (Even minor things like leaderboards in the Midway Arcade Treasures line added a lot of fun), and it saved on buying memory cards.

If there wasn't a Xbox version, I'd then go for the GCN version (Which was a fairly rare occurance, I can't think of many 3rd party games that the GCN got but the Xbox didn't). And if there wasn't any other choice, I'd buy the PS2 release. The only game I can think of that I bought for the PS2 that was available elsewhere was Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2 because it was widely considered the best version. I'm still doing it this generation with the Xbox 360 (Only exceptions are Mega Man 9/10 on the Wii and I bought IL-2 Stormovick on the PS3 since it saw some significant improvements from patches the 360 release didn't get)

Still, I love the GameCube and its software gets a lot of use to this day. Have 45 games or so for it and love the vast majority of them. And of course, there's the Game Boy Player which has to easily be my favorite accessory of all time.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 11-21-2011 at 08:05 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

GameCube games I played the most:

Beach Spikers
    Burnout 2: Point of Impact
    F-Zero GX
    Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
    The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
    Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour
    Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
    Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes
    Metroid Prime
    Resident Evil 4
    Star Fox Adventures
    Super Monkey Ball
    Viewtiful Joe
    Wave Race: Blue Storm

GameCube games I always wanted to play, but never got around to:

1080 Avalanche
    Beyond Good and Evil
    Eternal Darkness
    Killer 7
    Luigi's Mansion
    Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
    Pikmin 2
    Sega Soccer Slam
    Star Fox: Assault
    Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader
    Star Wars Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike
    Super Mario Sunshine
    Viewtiful Joe 2
    XIII

Quote Originally Posted by Press_Start View Post
    Gamecube's "failure" (aka third-place standing behind Halo, I mean, Xbox) was because the system was not "mature" or "H@RdC0reZ!!!" enough despite being the first time Nintendo released not one but two M-rated first-party titles (Eternal Darkness and Geist). Or the fact Resident Evil 4 debuted on the "kiddie console" and somebody plz tell me why a system with every good RE (including 0, 1 Remake, 2, 3, 4, and Veronica) is still considered "a kiddie console"?

Imho, Nintendo fawning over the "hardcore" was a waste of time and bucking to trends only twisted them into intellectual knots (i.e. Sunshine and Starfox Adventures). Nintendo's at their best when they buck the trends and do video games their way.
    I agree 100%.
    Last edited by Rob2600; 11-21-2011 at 11:10 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dairugger View Post
    you bought the cube just to play that?
    Sadly yes, but I was working at a game store at the time, so I got the system and the game at a discount.