Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NES vs. Commodore 64 versions of games!!!

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
    The NES version of Defender of the Crown was WAY too easy because of the extras they added. When your home castle was attacked you defended it with a crossbow shooting mini-game rather than a regular battle screen, but because of the way it was set up you could easily beat it without ever getting hit (it was a little slow and there were only a few spots where the soldiers popped up). So you could easily leave only one soldier to defend your home castle and never have to worry about it.

The joust scene added a second part where you fought with morning stars and was fairly easy as well. If you lost the jousting part (which was still ungodly hard) you could easily beat the morning star part and win the event (you only had to win one or the other IIRC). So even a character with bad jousting skills could easily win. This made it super easy to grab other peoples land and max out your fame.
    Yes. While I'd have to pick the Amiga version (or maybe the GBA version) as my favorite, the NES version has a few things about it that make it less preferable.

I mean, it's not terrible, it's just has a few things in there (like what you described) that break the strategy elements.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DeadlyMaple
    PSN
    DeadlyMaple
    Steam
    some.nerd

C64 versions I've prefered over their NES ports:
    Ghostbusters
    Maniac Mansion
    Ultima 4, 5
    Tower Toppler
    and I actually haven't played the NES version, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say The Last Ninja was probably better on the 64 too. If not for the gameplay then for the music!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    I just received the Famicom cartridge (tape/whatever) version of Yie Ar Kung Fu through eBay. I use to love both the arcade version and the Commodore 64 version. Owning the C64 version, that was the definitive version for me, and, quite honestly, the Famicom/NES version just does not compare. The super high jumping is neutered, the colorful backgrounds are traded for a drab black dojo, the NES version has half of the amount of bosses, and, perhaps worst of all, the glorious Commodore 64 music chip isn't cranking out the tunes!!! So as not to completely bash the Famicom version, they did add a bonus stage on the Famicom version and the character design could easily be argued to be graphically superior. Still, it is not enough. The feeling just ain't right.
    Regarding this.

Yeah. Yie Ar Kung Fu is a classic, no doubt, but it's one of those sad stories of never got a great home version until we reached an era where the arcade rom was easily ported.

BOTH the C64 and NES/Famicom versions of the game are pretty dreadful re-imaginings. There's even a sequel on the C64 which expands the universe of weapon wielding opponents but even that is lackluster.

I think the earliest home version that was any good was in the Saturn/PS1 era where it showed up on a few Konami arcade collections.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post

MERGIFIED!

(and since there were more responses in Classic Gaming, I figured that's the place it wanted to live.)
    Thanks!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    garou5016

I preferred Dungeons & Dragons games on the C64.. The Last Ninja games also got butchered on the NES.. so I prefer the C64 versions of those as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    There's even a sequel [of Yie Ar Kung Fu] on the C64 which expands the universe of weapon wielding opponents but even that is lackluster.
    The MSX version of Yie Ar Kung Fu II looks much better than the Commodore 64
    version. See for yourself:

C64 vs. MSX

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

The Commodore 64 had one of the greatest game clones of all time, the Great Giana Sisters. I almost like it more than Super Mario Bros.

Here's my review of it in case any of you guys missed it.
    http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/2...ers-ds-review/
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    The MSX version of Yie Ar Kung Fu II looks much better than the Commodore 64
    version. See for yourself:

C64 vs. MSX
    Yeah, but it's still that strange aesthetic of the home versions.

Nothing beats the real arcade game.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax
    Yeah, but it's still that strange aesthetic of the home versions.

Nothing beats the real arcade game.
    I, for one, love the Famicom version of Yie Ar Kung Fu (and it's faithful recreation on the Konami GB Collection Vol. 3). Admittedly, nostalgia and/or conditioning may come into play, as it is the first form of the game I was exposed to, but I dig the stark black backdrop, the character redesigns and just generally how it plays. The arcade original doesn't do it for me in the same way.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
    The NES version of Defender of the Crown was WAY too easy because of the extras they added.
    The NES version is too easy? That game always kicked my ass when I was a kid, I guess I just never got the hang of the wonky controls.

Quote Originally Posted by Amon_Re View Post
    Never owned a NES but I did own a C64... Those were the days... Gyruss would be another example I guess, the NES version looked better, but lacked the the challenge of the Arcade/C64 version. Sure, they added bosses and such and other extras, but I still prefer the C64 version.

Oh, and the music on the C64 was AWESOME.
    Have you played the FDS version of Gyruss? It makes great use of the FDS soundchip.

So one trend I've noticed between C64 and other versions of a given game is that the C64 version usually has better music but by far the least sounds; sometimes there's almost none at all. And if the game is an arcade port, the music is usually completely different than the arcade version. Ghosts N' Goblins is an example that comes to mind. Don't get me wrong, C64-style music is great, but if I'm playing a port I expect basic sounds and music that's at least somewhat based off the original version. In the end I guess C64 programmers were just trying to play to the system's strength though.
    Last edited by Thrillo; 11-23-2011 at 05:55 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Space Harrier, while not exactly great on either, is much more playable on C64.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

C64 Ghostbusters, Archon 1, M.U.L.E., Spy-vs-Spy 1. The C64 Bubble Bobble also has the BB songs done via the SID, so that's a fun bonus.
    Lick me! LICK ME!!

One of the hopeless idiots that runs SC3; (Southern California Classic Collectors):
    www.sc3videogames.com

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bubble Bobble! I lost countless hours on that one.... <3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If it originated as a computer game, then chances are it's better on C64. Even when the graphics are more detailed on NES, something's usually off. Archon's a good example. It's more advanced looking on NES but the designs lack the charm and the game is slower paced.

Quote Originally Posted by old skoolin jim
    and I actually haven't played the NES version, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say The Last Ninja was probably better on the 64 too. If not for the gameplay then for the music!
    It's better on C64 in every aspect: music, art, and control. It's also Last Ninja 2 despite lacking the "2" in the title on NES.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Space Harrier, while not exactly great on either, is much more playable on C64.
    Have you ever played Remember's crack of Space Harrier where they combine both the Sega and Elite versions of the game? It's worth a look.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[QUOTE=Satoshi_Matrix;1871705]I wonder what happened to the post I made last night? Oh well, I'll post it again.

The C64 is a much less capable system than the NES,

Despite the raw hardware stats, when comparing actual game quality, the NES and the C64 are pretty closely matched.

On an 8-bit history angle, the book "Commodore: a company on the edge" has some very interesting information about the relationship between the C64 and the NES.