Thread: Hori's Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 fight stick hitting US on Dec. 8 [Joystiq]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lightbulb Hori's Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 fight stick hitting US on Dec. 8 [Joystiq]

In the market for a new fight stick? We know a guy -- well, okay, it's not so much a guy as a big, faceless corporation, but you get the point.

Come December 8, you can snag Hori's custom Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 rig for $149.99, Capcom-Unity has revealed. There will be three different versions: the one with the colored buttons above, another with white buttons and a super deluxe edition with built-in cup holder and FM radio.

Okay, fine, we made that last one up, but how awesome would that be? So awesome.Hori's Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 fight stick hitting US on Dec. 8 originally appeared on Joystiq on Tue, 22 Nov 2011 00:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

Not sure if button mash happy players are going to like the start button being right there, especially since there are mashable hypers in UMvC3. I personally don't have a problem with it being there. Although a lock function would be nice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    hawtxdawg360

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvana View Post
    Not sure if button mash happy players are going to like the start button being right there, especially since there are mashable hypers in UMvC3. I personally don't have a problem with it being there. Although a lock function would be nice.
    Yeah, that is a pretty awkward position....you'd think they'd place it up top with the other admin buttons.
    Don't go away mad....just go away!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't see it being a problem.
    The two buttons to the left of it are barely used, so I can't imagine hitting start by accident when mashing L-M-H-S.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's just a Real Arcade Pro with a new faceplate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    I don't see it being a problem.
    The two buttons to the left of it are barely used, so I can't imagine hitting start by accident when mashing L-M-H-S.
    ^This. The only way you'd be using the two far right buttons is if you're doing a non-standard layout like an old school SNK (straight line) layout or set them for a multi-button hotkey. The standard physical button layouts for 4 button games are.

A B C - B C D - A C - -
    D - - - A - - - B D - -

With 6 button games you still don't usually use the far right 2.

Quote Originally Posted by moggles View Post
    It's just a Real Arcade Pro with a new faceplate.

The standard Real Arcade Pro uses generic parts that are poor quality for fighting games, the more expensive Hori sticks like the V3 SA and VX SA use Sanwa parts. The cost and extra work of making and installing custom artwork or buying and installing parts on a stick isn't worth the $20~ price difference for most people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I could understand someone accidently swiping the start button, especially in a game like Marvel. I've seen even the most precise people accidently hit start in KOF at the arcade on the six-button layout even when they choose the AC/BD option.

Even if it probably won't happen too much it just seems like a bad idea these days to have the start button on the face of the stick.
    And don't bring up that stupid girlie Aladdin rip off! Shantea?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

Quote Originally Posted by Famidrive-16 View Post
    I could understand someone accidently swiping the start button, especially in a game like Marvel. I've seen even the most precise people accidently hit start in KOF at the arcade on the six-button layout even when they choose the AC/BD option.

Even if it probably won't happen too much it just seems like a bad idea these days to have the start button on the face of the stick.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. I've actually witnessed the same exact thing before; it's something you see at arcades occasionally. You can accuse the player of being a bad player all you want, but at the end of the day...why put the start button there, especially when the other company, MadCatz, has had so much success with the Start button being at the other side of the panel?

They could have been like EightArc's Fusion Stick and made those types of buttons at the top portion of the face of the stick, within an indent. Not to mention, they didn't use Sanwa buttons for the Start/Back/Turbo, so they aren't as sensitive.

I know this really isn't a huge issue, but as a fighting game player I just like to see cool innovations on arcade sticks, as opposed to unnecessary style changes. For example, innovations such as detachable cables and felt fabric at the bottom of the stick so it doesn't slide in your lap. I was happy to see smaller companies implement those ideas.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Rock View Post
    The standard Real Arcade Pro uses generic parts that are poor quality for fighting games, the more expensive Hori sticks like the V3 SA and VX SA use Sanwa parts. The cost and extra work of making and installing custom artwork or buying and installing parts on a stick isn't worth the $20~ price difference for most people.
    The V3 SA is a Real Arcade Pro. It's the latest model, the 'V' stands for Version.

The full name is HORI Real Arcade PRO.V3 SA, which is what this UMVC3 stick is - it's the same stick with a new faceplate. There were also a Arcana Hearts 3 and BlazBlue editions released some time ago. It's not a new stick, and it definitely wasn't designed for MVC games, it's based upon the latest Taito cabinets - the ones which are used for SFIV.

I have the standard version, I use it mostly for Third Strike and SSFIV - I've been beating the shit out of it for almost a year and it still works perfectly. The whole thing is very well made, and feels solid. By far, the best stick I've ever used.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wonder if the buttons are soldered. Hori traditionally solders the connections in their licensed HRAP sticks, and only uses quick connects in the plain HRAP sticks.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. I've actually witnessed the same exact thing before; it's something you see at arcades occasionally.
    That doesn't make any sense. What would hitting start on an arcade game do to interfere with gameplay if both players are already in the game?

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

So, are there adapters that would allow the use of this (or one like it) on the PS2, Saturn and/or Dreamcast?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    So, are there adapters that would allow the use of this (or one like it) on the PS2, Saturn and/or Dreamcast?
    Not that I know of. You'd do better getting a PS2 stick and then getting adaptors for Saturn and Dreamcast.

Pretty sure there's a PS2 to PS3 adaptor too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I have three PS2 sticks. If there's no way to make this baby backwards-compatible then I'll stick with those.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i'd be interested in trying it but i don't think overall i'd like it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    I wonder if the buttons are soldered. Hori traditionally solders the connections in their licensed HRAP sticks, and only uses quick connects in the plain HRAP sticks.

That doesn't make any sense. What would hitting start on an arcade game do to interfere with gameplay if both players are already in the game?
    My local arcade builds their own arcade machines for popular fighting games that surprisingly don't have official arcade releases, such as Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 and until AE came out, Super Street Fighter IV. So the players are essentially just playing the console version on an arcade cabinet. Therefore, pressing start does exactly what it normally does. Pauses the game.

Therefore, it definitely does make sense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo

I'm going to wait for the $150 stick that gets released along with Super MvC3 Ultimate Deluxe Turbo Edition.
    Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one. - Thomas Paine

America can always be counted on to do the right thing after they have exhausted all other possibilities. - Winston Churchill

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hawksmoor View Post
    I'm going to wait for the $150 stick that gets released along with Super MvC3 Ultimate Deluxe Turbo Edition.

You joke, but this is exactly what they do with all these sticks. That stick up top is exactly what moggles said, just a V3 SA with a new face plate. It's a good stick which can be considered as the "budget" version of a VLX stick.

People do tend to hit the start button. In heated matches I've never done it, however my spaz-matic friends who "think" they're pretty good and talk a good amount of fighting game jargon do all the time.

__________________________________________________ ___

[ Severely Outdated Game Collection Pics ]
    [ My Multi-screen MADNESS!! ]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My local arcade builds their own arcade machines for popular fighting games that surprisingly don't have official arcade releases, such as Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 and until AE came out, Super Street Fighter IV. So the players are essentially just playing the console version on an arcade cabinet. Therefore, pressing start does exactly what it normally does. Pauses the game.

Therefore, it definitely does make sense.
    You've made up a story to cover for another story you made up.

Nice work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice work.
    Doesn't sound made up for me, there's a few places in California that do this. I think Gamecenter and Starbase both have setups like this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice work.
    Several arcades I go to do this.

You're dumb.
    And don't bring up that stupid girlie Aladdin rip off! Shantea?