Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: n64 Quake titles

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default n64 Quake titles

How are the 2 n64 Quake games? How do they compare to Doom? Are they as dark as Doom was?
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

i own quake 1 for the n64.
    And i think its an amazing game.
    Its one of the pioneers of FPS imo being one of the first full 3d FPS games. And ID software did an amazing job giving it atmosphere and giving you that "holy shit" factor like when you come up to the lava monster boss and the zombies and monsters some "surprise!" factors involved.
    IMO its a knock out of a game

Quake 2 i own for the PC and had it since it was still fairly new to the market.
    The multiplayer end of the game carved what is known today in the multiplayer FPS games. That fast action off the wall shoot em up game. Grab a gun and pwn some noobs. I almost wanna say this is the game that brought light to alot of the terminology we use when talking shit to other players on these games.

The Single player mode imo is polished for its year of release. Its kinda short (you could beat it in a 5-6 hour sitting if you wanted to even if you aren't crazy good at FPS games). But the story behind it.. The cinematic at the begining that explains whats going on and whats happen and the opening track that Rob Zombie made for it.. along with the rest of the soundtrack he made... Just pure insane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SVVKQlwTUk
    heres the intro for those who have never seen it or haven't seen it in so long and wanna remember!

and to answer your question. I thought they were as dark as doom.
    The first game was more like zombie/monster shoot em up game.

Number 2 was a SCIFI battle against monster/machine hybrids. I think this idea spawned off of the idea of the Cyber demon from Doom series. Well executed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I own both of them, but like Hexen and Duke Nukem, they're only so-so ports. If you're looking for a sprite based 3D FPS on N64, I highly, highly recommend Doom 64. Doom 64 is a completely original game that isn't a port of something else. Completely recommended.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quake 2 is an original game as well. It's not a port of the PC game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    I own both of them, but like Hexen and Duke Nukem, they're only so-so ports. If you're looking for a sprite based 3D FPS on N64, I highly, highly recommend Doom 64. Doom 64 is a completely original game that isn't a port of something else. Completely recommended.
    Enjoyed Doom 64, but the darkness wrecked it for me.

Strawberry (Level 2) Pedro Lambrini's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, you probably won't really like Quake 1 either. IMHO, both Doom 64 and Quake 1 have very similar vibes.

Quake 2, on the other hand, has a slightly more cheesy movie feel.

Just as an aside, though they're not totally original like D 64 both Q1 and Q2 do have at least slightly different maps and music from the PC games.
    Pretty Fly for a Doom Guy...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I only owned the first Quake on N64. It matched up pretty well against the PC version, and for its time was phenomenal. Loved the hell out of that game since I didn't own a PC at the time and while its been awhile I still think its a good game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quake 1 on N64 is an okay PC port. It's got two player splitscreen and the same levels from the PC game (and the other console ports).

Quake 2 for N64 is an original game, though -- the levels are all new. It's based on Quake 2 of course, but all of the level maps are new (sort of like Doom 64 or Forsaken 64, both of which have all-new, N64-exclusive level sets). It's also got expansion pak support and four player splitscreen, so it's definitely the better value of the two.

Oh, and yeah, Doom 64 is great. I don't mind the darkness (it should be dark, and it does have a brightness control), and the graphics and levels are fantastic. It's too bad it doesn't have multiplayer though. As for Hexen 64... that one's just a port, like Quake 1 (and unlike the others here), but it is a solid port. It has a huge save file though, takes up almost all of a memory card (probably because it's got save anywhere?). The main (only?) unique feature is that it's got four player splitscreen; I think it's the only version of Hexen with a splitscreen mode.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quake 1 on N64 is pretty lame IMO. It's playable, but the graphics and sound are very bland, and it suffers from some cuts. The Saturn version is better (and of course the PC version is way better). There's also a homebrew version for DC that's supposedly very good, but I haven't played it.

Quake 2 on N64 is much better. It's exclusive to the N64, and is a pretty good (though not amazing) FPS. I think I actually like it more than the "real" Quake 2, which was a disappointment. Quake 2 for PSX was a port of the PC version, with a bunch of cuts. It actually turned out well on a technical level, but I feel no compulsion to play it.

As for Hexen, that's one of the few games ported to all three consoles at the time, and all three ports are less than stellar. It wasn't exactly a super advanced PC game, so I don't know why the console ports were messed up. As far as I can tell the Saturn version is slightly better, and the PSX version is the worst. But you may just want to not play any of them.

Doom 64 was too dark for me (it's dark to the point of not being able to see things), but I haven't played it since 1997, so I should give it another look.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's worth changing your TV's settings for.
    I like just about all Doom ports for one reason or another, but Doom 64 is a complete remake with a new engine and it's probably my second favourite after Doom for PS1.

I found Quake to be a dark, blurry mess, but the gameplay is more or less intact. Not having the original soundtrack really killed it for me. I'd stick to the Saturn version if you really want to play it on a console.

Quake 2 is great, the graphics are bright and colourful by comparison. It doesn't replace the PC or even PSX versions, but it's worth checking out. I liked it more than any of the Turok games.
    Last edited by kedawa; 11-25-2011 at 10:44 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    I like just about all Doom ports for one reason or another, but Doom 64 is a complete remake with a new engine and it's probably my second favourite after Doom for PS1.
    Yeah, Doom 64 is something anyone who likes Doom absolutely should play.

I found Quake to be a dark, blurry mess, but the gameplay is more or less intact. Not having the original soundtrack really killed it for me. I'd stick to the Saturn version if you really want to play it on a console.
    Just stick with the PC version, really.

Quake 2 is great, the graphics are bright and colourful by comparison. It doesn't replace the PC or even PSX versions, but it's worth checking out. I liked it more than any of the Turok games.
    I think I like any of the Turok games over Quake 2 for the N64, but it is a solid, good game, yeah. Why would you prefer the PSX game, though? Because that's just a PC port, it's much less interesting than the N64 one...

Quake 1 on N64 is pretty lame IMO. It's playable, but the graphics and sound are very bland, and it suffers from some cuts. The Saturn version is better (and of course the PC version is way better). There's also a homebrew version for DC that's supposedly very good, but I haven't played it.
    I don't actually own any of the console versions of Quake 1, I haven't bothered because I know they're all worse than the PC version... I have played the N64 version some though, and yeah... not much reason to play it when I have it for the PC.

Quake 2 on N64 is much better. It's exclusive to the N64, and is a pretty good (though not amazing) FPS. I think I actually like it more than the "real" Quake 2, which was a disappointment. Quake 2 for PSX was a port of the PC version, with a bunch of cuts. It actually turned out well on a technical level, but I feel no compulsion to play it.
    Yeah, as I said, I really like that they gave it new level maps, meaning the game has a reason for you to play it even if you've already played the PC/PSX game... and it was great to finally see four player multiplayer in an id N64 FPS (Hexen wasn't really id, so I wouldn't count it), too.

And yes, I agree about the PSX version.

As for Hexen, that's one of the few games ported to all three consoles at the time, and all three ports are less than stellar. It wasn't exactly a super advanced PC game, so I don't know why the console ports were messed up. As far as I can tell the Saturn version is slightly better, and the PSX version is the worst. But you may just want to not play any of them.
    I've only played the N64 version, but eh, apart from the too-large save file (it's 90 blocks; the only other N64 FPS with a file that big is Turok 2, but at least Hexen has the excuse of having save anywhere (the PSX version takes up a full card too, and the Saturn one requires an official memory card to save, pretty much, yes?), something Turok 2 doesn't have... I still have no clue at all why that file is so insanely bloated. But anyway.) the port seems good to me.

But anyway, why would you call the Saturn version better? Better visuals or something? The N64 version may not have cd audio, if the others do, but it does have that exclusive 4 player splitscreen mode... the other console versions don't have any multiplayer at all I think. ... Looking it up on Wikipedia, apparently the Saturn version has a hidden link-cable mode? Huh. No MP on the PSX though, and it agrees that that's the worst version. It says that the N64 has the best port though, though of course it doesn't have the CD audio or FMVs from the PC CD version.

It is kind of lame that all three ports are of just the original Hexen, though... what about the addon, Deathkings of the Dark Citadel, which had been released for the PC some time before any of the console ports were out? It makes all of them incomplete.

Doom 64 was too dark for me (it's dark to the point of not being able to see things), but I haven't played it since 1997, so I should give it another look.
    Definitely do.
    Last edited by A Black Falcon; 11-28-2011 at 06:11 AM.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Doom on Playstation is pretty slick, but, like Quake on N64, the loss of the original soundtrack blows. The ambience is at an all time high, certainly, but eerie soundscapes wouldn't be nearly as cool as the classic Doom tunes given the redbook audio treatment. Doom 64, being an original product, gets a pass in that regard.

There's a very thorough breakdown of N64 Quake vs Saturn Quake which can be found here: http://www.curmudgeongamer.com/2002/...-quake-vs.html. It's worth looking over, if only to get a better sense of what N64 Quake has to offer. I have both Quake 1 & 2 on N64 and enjoy them both, they're certainly recommended if you're just looking for a solid N64 FPS to play around with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon View Post
    I've only played the N64 version, but eh, apart from the too-large save file (it's 90 blocks; the only other N64 FPS with a file that big is Turok 2, but at least Hexen has the excuse of having save anywhere (the PSX version takes up a full card too, and the Saturn one requires an official memory card to save, pretty much, yes?), something Turok 2 doesn't have... I still have no clue at all why that file is so insanely bloated. But anyway.)
    It does require the Saturn memory cart, because the save is too large for the system's internal memory. But, strangely enough, it also has a password option. I don't remember for sure, but I think the password only lets you resume at a checkpoint, rather than saving your exact location. The password itself could certainly fit in system memory, so why they didn't give that option is beyond me.

But anyway, why would you call the Saturn version better? Better visuals or something? The N64 version may not have cd audio, if the others do, but it does have that exclusive 4 player splitscreen mode... the other console versions don't have any multiplayer at all I think. ... Looking it up on Wikipedia, apparently the Saturn version has a hidden link-cable mode? Huh. No MP on the PSX though, and it agrees that that's the worst version. It says that the N64 has the best port though, though of course it doesn't have the CD audio or FMVs from the PC CD version.
    I wasn't taking multiplayer into account, because I don't care for it. But also, wasn't the multiplayer mode widely panned? I don't remember anybody actually liking it. The Saturn version does have a hidden link-up mode, but it's hidden for a reason: it really sucks. It feels like it's not fully implemented -- like the developer wasn't given enough time and had to just ship it out. Which is probably true of all three console ports.

The Saturn version does have FMVs and CD audio. But that's not all. The N64 version has a really bad bug with how it saves. I remember many a forum post back in the day from irate gamers upset that they lost all their progress. Basically, if you die shortly after saving -- not an uncommon occurrence, as people tend to save immediately before trouble spots -- when you load your save, you instantly die again. And since you're only allowed one save, you're SOL.

Also, IIRC, the N64 version has really weird controls, and you can't circle strafe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Got a chance to play Quake 2 on the N64. Pretty fun, controls do take getting used to.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good times, fond memories. We used to feel SO hardcore when we played those games.... for hours on end.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon View Post
    Yeah, Doom 64 is something anyone who likes Doom absolutely should play.
    Indeed!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    If you're interested there's a conversion of Doom64 for Windows and it's pretty damn good. I never played it originally having no N64 myself but I am a fan of Doom so I sought it out and given the fact you can control using a mouse and keyboard now not to mention changeable resolution and graphic settings among a plethora of other options, yeah, Doom64 TC is the way to go. Don't forget gamma correction too to bring some light on the situation.

http://www.doom2.net/~doomdepot/abs-download.html

I'd only add that if you're going to get this, stick to C:\doom64 or C:\whatever - it doesn't seem to run properly (see: at all) outside the root.
    Whaddya mean invalid parameters?!

9,000 gigs of ram and it still can't answer a simple question!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

/////
    Last edited by RulerStabInTheEye27; 11-20-2017 at 03:21 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kainemaxwell View Post
    Got a chance to play Quake 2 on the N64. Pretty fun, controls do take getting used to.
    I agree the Quakes on N64 are okay but i you do not play N64 often the controls will take a while to adjust too,i am not too keen on the graphics engine that the N64 uses but it does suit the Quake and Doom 64 games rather well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Think I'll try Quake 2...