Thread: Ubisoft Blames Piracy For Non-Release of PC Game [Slashdot]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lightbulb Ubisoft Blames Piracy For Non-Release of PC Game [Slashdot]

New submitter Azmodan sends this excerpt from TorrentFreak:"Ubisoft is known for laying the blame for many problems on the unauthorized downloading of its games. Stanislas Mettra, creative director of the upcoming game I Am Alive, confirms this once again by saying that the decision not to release a PC version is a direct result of widespread game piracy. However, those who look beyond the propaganda will see that there appears to be more to the story than that."Another Ubisoft employee made similar comments about upcoming Ghost Recon games. Regarding Ghost Recon Online being free-to-play: "We are giving away most of the content for free because there’s no barrier to entry. To the users that are traditionally playing the game by getting it through Pirate Bay, we said, 'Okay, go ahead guys. This is what you’re asking for. We’ve listened to you – we’re giving you this experience. It’s easy to download, there’s no DRM that will pollute your experience.'" Regarding Future Soldier having no PC version: "When we started Ghost Recon Online we were thinking about Ghost Recon: Future Solider; having something ported in the classical way without any deep development, because we know that 95% of our consumers will pirate the game. So we said okay, we have to change our mind."

Read more of this story at Slashdot.

More...
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Admittedly I have downloaded PC games before [usually i dont though btw], but the games that are mostly "immune" to being pirated are the online games that require a CD key [if you want the best experience that is]. Ghost recon is definitely a online game so I fail to see their point besides using it as a excuse to cry about piracy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo

Quote Originally Posted by Peonpiate View Post
    Admittedly I have downloaded PC games before [usually i dont though btw], but the games that are mostly "immune" to being pirated are the online games that require a CD key [if you want the best experience that is]. Ghost recon is definitely a online game so I fail to see their point besides using it as a excuse to cry about piracy.
    That's because they don't have a point. It's just a convenient dead horse that publishers never get tired of beating. These are the same publishers that whine and moan about how difficult it is for them to make a profit. In fact, I think Activision has gone down that road many times. They need to fuck off and enjoy the massive profits they're already making instead of lamenting the fact that they aren't making more than they're currently raking in.
    Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one. - Thomas Paine

America can always be counted on to do the right thing after they have exhausted all other possibilities. - Winston Churchill

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is the text in the OP mangled to hell for anyone else?

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Not that I can see.

I Am Alive trailer;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBVn-3Nf0ns

What I think of and want instead;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwkveulfDz4

They basically have the same overall theme, only one is more awesome. You know it's true.

Captain Caveman (and Son!) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    My XBOX is dead, not live.
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend
    Friendless :(

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Yeah, mine's fucked too. Looks like this:
    We’ve listened to you – we’re giving you this experience. It’s easy to download, there’s no DRM that will pollute your experience.'" Regarding Future Soldier having no PC version:

Now, the question here is did my post come out garbled to all, or just to me and kedawa?

Oh, and HORRAY!
    Another piracy thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What's the matter, Ubisoft? All that shitty DRM you've forced on consumers didn't prevent piracy?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I think it's the opposite. Not only has their DRM slowed down piracy of their last round of games, it also slowed down sales from legitimate customers. I have gone on the record many times as saying that Ghost Recon is my favorite shooter series, and I'm so sick of Ubisoft's DRM that I refuse to buy any more Ghost Recon games.

Read that again; Ubisoft's DRM is so awful that a self-avowed fan is refusing to buy their product.

Until they can figure out a PC business model that doesn't drive away their fans, I agree, they should get out of the business.