Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Resentment towards handheld gaming devices

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Resentment towards handheld gaming devices

Warning: Cranky post. Take with a grain of salt.

Let me explain this properly. I don't have a problem with the existence of handheld gaming devices. If people want to crink their necks looking at small screens to play games, more power to them. My problem is that there are some really great games that come out for these systems that their developers should have released on a proper system!! Am I the only one who gets irritated by this? I do give credit to Nintendo, however, for their SNES and GameCube Gameboy adapters though.

End of rant/bitch.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I can't think of many handheld games that would have been successful as (modern) console releases. Handheld games tend to have 'pick up and play' appeal, and significantly lower production 'value'. A lot of games that are released on handhelds that can turn a profit would most probably lose money if released on a console.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I've always been rather perplexed that some gamers are so turned off by handhelds. I just don't get it myself. I'll happily take it all, home console and portable (and the in-between, like the Virtual Boy, haha). There's a time and place for everything, I'd say. Playing a game on a TV feels like a much bigger commitment, for some reason, and of course that set-up can't go anywhere with you easily. There were definitely some major inconveniences with handheld gaming in the past, which is why I barely even touch any Game Boy system other than the SP these days (best application of backwards compatibility in a system ever), but now that we have recharging batteries and backlit screens, I really can't complain.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I agree with the OP, handhelds are a waste. I hate the small dark and blurry screens and pathetic audio. I like huge tv crystal clear picture with cranking sound and bass for my video games. It's a pity I have never played so many great handheld games. I actually have the perfect thing though, a modded XBOX with LOADS of handheld game roms I can play in full screen in RGB It's perty awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-UQ-qZFQKo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTZHu_deQwc

I will admit though that as a young kid it was kinda fun playing a game boy (og puke green screen) on the long drive to grandmas house. Ah yes, mario land, tetris, and simpsons.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I can't play on handhelds for very long, it always hurts my neck. I usually play GBA games on a Game Boy Player, and I barely touch my DS.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't like handhelds for a while. I got flipped with the NGPC and GBA though. Been looking at smartphones recently. My next computer is going to be a handheld too apparently. I can potentially become nomadic!

Add a solar recharge station to my buy list...

Edit: Got a Motorola Photon 4G today. Time to see what this superphone gaming hubbub is all about.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 11-28-2011 at 04:52 PM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

Your loss my gain.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kevincal View Post
    I agree with the OP, handhelds are a waste. I hate the small dark and blurry screens and pathetic audio.
    It sounds like you haven't played any handhelds since the original Gameboy Advance, and don't use head phones (or good ones, anyway).

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Heck I plug an audio cord into my handheld and crank up the volume on the big speakers!
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

I am sorry if you have any problem towards portable gaming weather its a physical buttons, screen size, its just for kids, etc. The GB, GBC, GBA, PSP, and DS all have some of my favorite games of all time on them and if you missed out on those for whatever reason it sucks and I really do feel sorry for you. I love handheld consoles and the ways they force game devs to think differently around the limitations and/or design considerations for making a game that is in easily digestible bites.

I can understand if its not your thing but it does make me a bit sad when I know someone is going to like X or Y game says "Wow, that looks, sounds, and plays great too bad its on X portable console". I encourage you get over whatever issues you may have with it because ever since my first GameGear I've been hooked to the portable side of the industry.

Edit:

I am surprised that Sony hasn't added some sort of PSP emulation mode to the PS3. I'm sure the console is powerful enough and the PSP control scheme is basically a cutdown Playstation controller layout. These things along with the PSN linked accounts and download service would make it really simple to simply download digital copies of PSP games to play on your PS3..not really sure why they never did that for those who can't deal with portable consoles.
    Last edited by substantial_snake; 11-28-2011 at 01:00 AM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by substantial_snake View Post
    I am sorry if you have any problem towards portable gaming weather its a physical buttons, screen size, its just for kids, etc. The GB, GBC, GBA, PSP, and DS all have some of my favorite games of all time on them and if you missed out on those for whatever reason it sucks and I really do feel sorry for you. I love handheld consoles and the ways they force game devs to think differently around the limitations and/or design considerations for making a game that is in easily digestible bites.

I can understand if its not your thing but it does make me a bit sad when I know someone is going to like X or Y game says "Wow, that looks, sounds, and plays great too bad its on X portable console". I encourage you get over whatever issues you may have with it because ever since my first GameGear I've been hooked to the portable side of the industry.

Edit:

I am surprised that Sony hasn't added some sort of PSP emulation mode to the PS3. I'm sure the console is powerful enough and the PSP control scheme is basically a cutdown Playstation controller layout. These things along with the PSN linked accounts and download service would make it really simple to simply download digital copies of PSP games to play on your PS3..not really sure why they never did that for those who can't deal with portable consoles.
    Because they made a cord that already lets you connect your PSP 2000 and higher to the TV anyway? I also think the reason they don't just let the PS3 run PSP games is because they want to make sure they sell the handheld systems. If all PSP games could be run on PS3 and cost less than PS3 titles, nobody would even buy the handheld to play them. They would just get a PS3 and call it a day.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to play handheld gaming devices while growing up, as they were a great way to occupy my time during long car rides; when I became the driver, the need entertain myself on the long journeys ended, and at that point I stopped playing the handheld systems.

Although I have not played any of the newer handhelds (with the exception of borrowing my brother's DS from time to time), I find some of the functions to look very...eh, not comfortable to operate. For those times that I want to play a game, I would much prefer just to sit down in front of a big screen with controller in hand, as it just provides a better experience when not on the go.

Cherry (Level 1) leatherrebel5150's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I still don't see why they have never made a pokemon game on a console like the ones they have made for handhelds...thats what really annoys me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hated handhelds and never played a single one up until about 2.5 years ago when I finally bought a DS Lite. Totally worth the purchase IMO.

Of course I still play console games the majority of the time, but the DS has produced several games that I've gotten at least 5-10 hours of gameplay out of. The perfect handheld game is one that you can play for about 10-15 minutes and save your progress. But sometimes you wind up playing for much longer than that simply because it's addictive.

For me, the woman usually complains if I'm gaming too long on the basement TV. But if I let her watch lifetime while I'm playing my DS, it's a perfect win-win situation.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I believe that historically speaking, if means to play the game software/hardware on a console or TV are not available, just about any handheld game that has been a major critical and/or financial success has found its way to consoles either in a port/literal 1:1 conversion or in an "HD" or iterative sequel.

Angry Birds, Tetris, Peggle, Bejeweled, Plants Vs. Zombies, etc. or "portable exclusive" games featuring Kirby, Sonic, God of War, etc. have all been brought to modern consoles ... so, while I'm sure you can cherry pick any portable library for specific titles that have never made it to a full console, when it's warranted via consumer demand and viable to make some money they bring portable games/franchises over.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I made a thread about this same subject earlier this year-

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151278

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by substantial_snake View Post
    I can understand if its not your thing but it does make me a bit sad when I know someone is going to like X or Y game says "Wow, that looks, sounds, and plays great too bad its on X portable console". I encourage you get over whatever issues you may have with it...
    It makes me a bit sad too, Substantial Snake, but I have not totally forsaken portable gaming devices, just so you know. Last portable I purchased was the DS, which I bought because I wanted the new Advanced Wars (I love the damn series. It is the reason I bought a GBA). I also justified the purchase because of the dual screen/ stylus screen novelty. When I did strain my eyes to play it, I did enjoy the lil' bastard- it disappeared in my travels. Every morning use to begin with me drinking coffee and playing Brain Age to knock the dust off my brain. I also have an iPod Touch, which I buy app games for every now and again (Space Invaders Evolution rocked!!!). In regards to novelty and puzzle games, I think they are well suited for portable devices. I just don't like serious games that would have been better suited- in my estimation, of course- on a home system. I'd love to have the new Mario on the 3DS, but I just don't want to torture my poor near sighted eyes. Nintendo should wait a while and release the game on the Wii.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Angry Birds, Tetris, Peggle, Bejeweled, Plants Vs. Zombies, etc. or "portable exclusive" games featuring Kirby, Sonic, God of War, etc. have all been brought to modern consoles ... so, while I'm sure you can cherry pick any portable library for specific titles that have never made it to a full console, when it's warranted via consumer demand and viable to make some money they bring portable games/franchises over.
    Tetris existed on PCs before it came to the Gameboy, but thank God Nintendo decided (i.e. wanted more $) to bring Kirby on over!

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    Tetris existed on PCs before it came to the Gameboy...
    Indeed it did.

But I think that it's arguable that the GameBoy version was its steppingstone to super-stardom. It being a pack-in with Nintendo's new, popular and ground-breaking portable system was a perfect storm.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    Warning: Cranky post. Take with a grain of salt.My problem is that there are some really great games that come out for these systems that their developers should have released on a proper system!!
    Maybe its because I've always had handhelds since the original GameBoy back in '89, but I don't understand this line of thought at all. Handhelds ARE proper systems. They're self contained and have the benefit of being able to be played anywhere, from on the bus to on the couch to on the crapper. (oh like you don't)

I have no desire to ever really sit down and play handheld games on a tv, but there are solutions for that too, most notably the Super GameBoy, GameBoy Player and PSP 2000-Go. But while I agree with you on some points, I think portables have an advantage over consoles that need to be tethered to a tv. I'm not sure I'd sit through a random encounter RPG or play a dungeon crawler on a console game ever again, but I love those kinds of games on handhelds.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/