Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Resentment towards handheld gaming devices

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

I've been playing through Crono Trigger again on my DSiXL, and I'm wishing I was doing it on an emulator or something so I could move my save between devices.... and the TV.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Because all you guys above playing the wrong handhelds.

Here's the best:

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I think "resentment" is the wrong word, but I do have to agree with several others who have expressed that handhelds were more interesting to me when I was younger and not driving and therefore had time to kill in a car or on a plane or just sitting and waiting. I think handhelds have made great strides in recent years, with better screens and faster processors and graphics chips, but it doesn't change the fact for me that the controller is still built into the unit, the screens are far smaller than any TV I have ever owned and handheld games just can't do the same things that console games can because they simply don't have the same kind of screen real estate available. That's not to say that handheld games are bad or shallow, just that they tell stories in a different way and it's just not a way that I enjoy as much as an adult.

Captain Caveman (and Son!) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    My XBOX is dead, not live.
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend
    Friendless :(

The OP has a valid point. Like the Pokemon games leatherrebel5150 mentioned; why doesn't some of this end up on a home console? Sure, making SMB3 15 years later for a handheld is cool, but there games that are handheld exclusives always did make me scratch my head, at least since the Game Gear came out.

As for actual use, the only handheld I put any real play into at all is my Nomad. It neatly dodges the OP's gripe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Indeed it did.

But I think that it's arguable that the GameBoy version was its steppingstone to super-stardom. It being a pack-in with Nintendo's new, popular and ground-breaking portable system was a perfect storm.
    I would confer the status of "fact" to this assertion, Frankie Says Relax. You have to wonder how successful the Gameboy would have been if ol' Tetris wasn't packed in with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    I can't think of many handheld games that would have been successful as (modern) console releases. Handheld games tend to have 'pick up and play' appeal, and significantly lower production 'value'. A lot of games that are released on handhelds that can turn a profit would most probably lose money if released on a console.
    Wasn't one of the Dragon Warrior games only available on the DS?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    They're self contained and have the benefit of being able to be played anywhere, from on the bus to on the couch to on the crapper. (oh like you don't)
    What else was Brain Age's Sudoku for the DS made for?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    Because all you guys above playing the wrong handhelds.

Here's the best:
    I thought the Lynx was awesome as a kid. So bright and colorful compared to the dreary greens and blacks of the Game Boy. Plus, it was the only system that had an arcade port of the REAL Ninja Gaiden- not that I didn't enjoy Tecmo's home adaptations.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I feel the exact opposite. If there is a portable system exclusive, then good for it. It's something that makes the system even more unique. I do have a soft spot for handhelds though.

I also don't understand the resentment I see from some people toward any aspect of the hobby(hating on Nintendo, Sega, handhelds, PC games, or whatever). Respect things for what they are. If you enjoy the games...play them. If not, don't and let others enjoy them. If it strains your eyes, well, see an eye doctor I guess.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    Because they made a cord that already lets you connect your PSP 2000 and higher to the TV anyway? I also think the reason they don't just let the PS3 run PSP games is because they want to make sure they sell the handheld systems. If all PSP games could be run on PS3 and cost less than PS3 titles, nobody would even buy the handheld to play them. They would just get a PS3 and call it a day.
    They did similar things through the PSP life span such as releasing the GTA X City Stories games as a PS2 release and now especially the God of War Origins Collection and MGS Peace Walker HD. I think it would of made a lot of sense earlier in its life span to have PSP emulation capability for pretty much anyone in this thread who weren't interested in picking up the portable console, now I think its time has passed. Sony's business model doesn't hinge on making a profit from hardware and with the upcoming release of vita games for both PS3 and Vita I don't think Sony is splitting hairs about it this time either.

Quote Originally Posted by treismac
    It makes me a bit sad too, Substantial Snake, but I have not totally forsaken portable gaming devices, just so you know. Last portable I purchased was the DS, which I bought because I wanted the new Advanced Wars (I love the damn series. It is the reason I bought a GBA). I also justified the purchase because of the dual screen/ stylus screen novelty. When I did strain my eyes to play it, I did enjoy the lil' bastard- it disappeared in my travels. Every morning use to begin with me drinking coffee and playing Brain Age to knock the dust off my brain. I also have an iPod Touch, which I buy app games for every now and again (Space Invaders Evolution rocked!!!). In regards to novelty and puzzle games, I think they are well suited for portable devices. I just don't like serious games that would have been better suited- in my estimation, of course- on a home system. I'd love to have the new Mario on the 3DS, but I just don't want to torture my poor near sighted eyes. Nintendo should wait a while and release the game on the Wii.
    [GUSH]I bought a DS for that exact reason, Advance Wars since the GBA Days has sold me Nintendo portable consoles. I played both Dual Strike and Days of Ruin but perfered Days of Ruin by far, even with the drastic shift in tone. The game was simply super-balanced and the best playing AW game IMO. I just love it and it sat in my DS for months at a time. [/GUSH]

I really see the "serious game" complaint levied against the PSP far more then the DS and in that arena you do have options. The PSP 2000 and up has a TV output that when paired with component cables let you play your games on the TV. I ended up using this feature a lot for a ton of the systems late releases like the Dissidia games and Peace Walker with both games having great sound when put through a proper sound system and damn good graphics for a portable game. On the flip side the GB Gamecube player allowed you to play GB, GBC, and GBA games all on a TV using the Gamecube which I hear is how many people play those games now. Its unfornatunate that the DS and 3DS will probably never have a proper TV out method but that's also part of Nintendo's strategy of making portable games for portable consoles.

I guess I don't really have a point to this semi-rant other then I find it frustrating given the example I had given in my previous post for those without some physical issue and just don't like playing on portable systems. I've probably put equal amounts of time in both portable and console/PC gaming over the years and missing out on those great portable games just seems wrong to me.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    I would confer the status of "fact" to this assertion, Frankie Says Relax. You have to wonder how successful the Gameboy would have been if ol' Tetris wasn't packed in with it.
    I think it still would've done well. I got mine for Super Mario Land. Primitive as it was even compared to later GB games, it was still MORE MARIO! and that was a way to move systems. I'm really glad it wasn't the pack-in, though, or I might never have even got GB Tetris, and while Mario got me in the door, Tetris kept bringing me back. I still think that's the best version of Tetris around.

Quote Originally Posted by Griking View Post
    Wasn't one of the Dragon Warrior games only available on the DS?
    Dragon Quest 9 is a DS game. There are also remakes of 4-6, and various spinoffs (Monsters, Rocket Slime, etc) on the DS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by substantial_snake View Post
    [GUSH]I bought a DS for that exact reason, Advance Wars since the GBA Days has sold me Nintendo portable consoles. I played both Dual Strike and Days of Ruin but perfered Days of Ruin by far, even with the drastic shift in tone. The game was simply super-balanced and the best playing AW game IMO. I just love it and it sat in my DS for months at a time. [/GUSH]
    I know this is a retro gaming forum, so this might be like me asking a Republican if they've heard of Ronald Reagan, but have you ever played Military Madness on the Turbografx-16? While I am not certain if it is the grandfather of turn-based military games or not, it deserves a good look by any and all fans of Advance Wars. I don't care for the remakes, but the original rocks. It is a Virtual Console game for the Wii, and I also downloaded it for an old work cell phone I had. Oh, did I mention it that one of my favorite developers made it?

I know Hudson made some crap games, but when they were on, they were on.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    If there is a portable system exclusive, then good for it. It's something that makes the system even more unique.

I also don't understand the resentment I see from some people toward any aspect of the hobby(hating on Nintendo, Sega, handhelds, PC games, or whatever). Respect things for what they are. If you enjoy the games...play them. If not, don't and let others enjoy them.
    Yeah, I agree. Complaining about games being on a portable system is akin to people whining that so-and-so is exclusive to 360 or PS3 or whatever the person complaining doesn't own. It's a tad selfish, I think. If every good handheld exclusive is ported to a home console, then what's the point of the handheld even existing? That would be pretty crappy for the people that are interested in the handheld if there are no good exclusives. If you can't appreciate a system for whatever reason, then either get over your hang-up or leave it be. Don't wish for the system's library to be crappier just because it would make you feel better about it.

Also, in terms of porting over handheld games, there's another problem with that. Handhelds play an invaluable role in the current market. They're preserving styles of design that are mostly gone from home consoles. There are many fantastic games, both 2D and 3D, on the current handhelds that feel like they could've fit right in with the best games of the PS1 and N64. These types of games would almost never be developed for the home consoles, and if they were, they'd certainly have to be different (or perhaps sold as a cheap digital release that the developer couldn't profit on). I think a lot of games are handheld exclusive because that's the only place they could be, to be honest, and I'm very glad the handhelds exist to give developers this outlet. Personally, I'm enjoying the libraries of the DS and PSP more than any of the current home consoles. If you like 90s gaming, they're great.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Yeah, I agree. Complaining about games being on a portable system is akin to people whining that so-and-so is exclusive to 360 or PS3 or whatever the person complaining doesn't own. It's a tad selfish, I think. If every good handheld exclusive is ported to a home console, then what's the point of the handheld even existing?
    Because they're portable. That's like the whole thing, isn't it?

That would be pretty crappy for the people that are interested in the handheld if there are no good exclusives.
    Wait, why? I don't understand why it would matter if they were exclusive or not. Good games are good games.

Handhelds play an invaluable role in the current market. They're preserving styles of design that are mostly gone from home consoles. There are many fantastic games, both 2D and 3D, on the current handhelds that feel like they could've fit right in with the best games of the PS1 and N64. These types of games would almost never be developed for the home consoles, and if they were, they'd certainly have to be different (or perhaps sold as a cheap digital release that the developer couldn't profit on). I think a lot of games are handheld exclusive because that's the only place they could be, to be honest, and I'm very glad the handhelds exist to give developers this outlet. Personally, I'm enjoying the libraries of the DS and PSP more than any of the current home consoles. If you like 90s gaming, they're great.
    Real talk. I'd expand and say they'd fit in best with the 32 and 16-bit generation of games. A lot of DS games remind me of SNES titles than N64 or PS1 titles.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Wait, why? I don't understand why it would matter if they were exclusive or not. Good games are good games.
    The portability factor doesn't matter that much to me, and not to many handheld players. Even as a kid, almost all of my handheld gaming was at home. I buy handhelds, first and foremost, because they offer a different selection of games that I want to play. I don't think my PSP has ever even left my house.

Every system I've ever purchased was bought for exclusives. If I can get every game I want on another system, one that I may potentially already own, I'm not going to bother to get a new system. If I bought a handheld for an exclusive and then all following interesting games were multiplatform, I'd feel gypped. Although it's only been this current generation in which this stuff is even a factor since the vast majority of games I'm interested in weren't multiplatform in the past (that was more of a Western game thing back then).

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    The portability factor doesn't matter that much to me, and not to many handheld players. Even as a kid, almost all of my handheld gaming was at home. I buy handhelds, first and foremost, because they offer a different selection of games that I want to play. I don't think my PSP has ever even left my house.
    That makes sense I guess. Do you feel portability isn't a factor for most (or a significant amount of) handheld owners though? I'm not contesting, I'm really not sure. I just assumed the portability factor was the main appeal of handhelds.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

I just love gaming to much to limit myself.
    Often find me playing Ys on my PSP. Or Xenoblade on my Wii or SOTC on PS2 or whatever on Genesis or whatever. I just can't limit myself.
    I never take my handhelds away from home really tho

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

No clue. I would guess that it's a big factor for parents purchasing handhelds for their kids since they're probably thinking "This'll keep him/her occupied and shut him/her up during errands and trips", haha. Kids usually don't have a ton of games, though, and they get so excited to play them that I can't picture them "saving" a game for a trip out. They'll play when and wherever they can. And adults lose opportunities for outdoor gaming as they get older, like how people already mentioned that they're the driver now and such. Plus some adults may want to avoid the stigma of playing a "child's toy" in public. (Your mileage may vary with that depending on what handheld you're playing, how old you are/look, and what your gender is. I feel more judged as an adult female gamer since I'm seen as more of an oddity than an adult male gamer.)

While I guess it's an aspect of the portability, I more so love the comfort of not being tethered to anything. Even playing a home console with a wireless controller isn't quite the same. I can sit or lay in just about any position I want and still get a good view and play. I can also have the TV going at the same time or whatever. It's much more relaxed, comfortable gaming, and it's works better for spending time around others than being absorbed in the screen of a home console game (outside of multiplayer gaming, that is).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't understand why anyone would've played one of these things as a kid in a car. You have a whole world of interesting things going by outside your window, why would you have ever kept your head stuck to the screens of a handheld instead of the show going on outside the car windows?

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    Let me explain this properly. I don't have a problem with the existence of handheld gaming devices. If people want to crink their necks looking at small screens to play games, more power to them.
    When I'm playing a handheld, I'm not holding it three feet away from my face. The screens are plenty big enough and probably compare well to sitting 5 or 6 feet away from something like a 20" tv.

A good game is a good game. Enjoying those games is the entire point of them. I don't care if it's being played on my tv or the screen of a handheld. I don't even buy handhelds for their portable nature, I buy them to enjoy the great games that are released on them. They rarely if ever leave the house and 99% of the time, they're played within sight of a television and game consoles.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevincal View Post
    I agree with the OP, handhelds are a waste. I hate the small dark and blurry screens and pathetic audio. I like huge tv crystal clear picture with cranking sound and bass for my video games.
    Handheld screens were never to my standards for many years, which is ashame where the Game Gear, Lynx, and NGPC are concerned (I'll have to hack my PSP1000 someday so I can better enjoy those systems). Nintendo's screens were so poor that I completely avoided their handhelds for years and stuck with my Super Game Boy and later, the Game Boy Player to enjoy their handheld software.

It wasn't until around the time the Nintendo DS was released that they were good enough quality for my satisfaction and I bought one. And quickly afterwards with the PSP, the backlit revision of the SP, the GBA Micro, and the DS Lite, they became more than just satisfactory.

Beyond a bit of motion blur, I'd be hard pressed with brightness fully on my backlit SP to find any deficient areas with the screen. That's when I finally had a screen that really seemed like a small television on a handheld.

It isn't 1995 now, your complaints about handheld screens are long out of date.

Quote Originally Posted by substantial_snake View Post
    I am surprised that Sony hasn't added some sort of PSP emulation mode to the PS3. I'm sure the console is powerful enough and the PSP control scheme is basically a cutdown Playstation controller layout.
    They have a PSP emulator on the PS3. But it's not very good and is only compatible with PSP Minis (With significant issues sometimes, and a couple which are completely incompatible with the emulator). It's no where close enough to run a top of the line PSP game.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    Because they made a cord that already lets you connect your PSP 2000 and higher to the TV anyway? I also think the reason they don't just let the PS3 run PSP games is because they want to make sure they sell the handheld systems. If all PSP games could be run on PS3 and cost less than PS3 titles, nobody would even buy the handheld to play them. They would just get a PS3 and call it a day.
    They make the vast majority of their money on software sales, not hardware sales. And with how easy piracy is on the PSP, I'm sure Sony would love to sell lots of PSP software for use on the more secure PS3.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 11-28-2011 at 08:28 PM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

That makes sense I guess. Do you feel portability isn't a factor for most (or a significant amount of) handheld owners though? I'm not contesting, I'm really not sure. I just assumed the portability factor was the main appeal of handhelds.
    I rarely take portables anywhere, but I tend to play those the most. I don't need to use the TV which is a plus as we only have one set up for use, if I'm using it nobody else can. Plus I don't feel like having to set up systems to play something so I just use the portable systems instead, I don't have the space to just leave everything hooked up.

It helps that the portable systems are basically getting the types of games I want to play, most are sticking close to older style games instead of modern full 3D games so I like the portable stuff more.