Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Resentment towards handheld gaming devices

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    I get that, I just don't understand how you "don't understand" why a(nother) kid would rather play video games than look at boring shit out the window.
    You apparently didn't...

Again, I didn't have interstate highway travel in mind when I made my original post. Hence post #44 that granted the fact that most of America's interstates are dull and featureless (Albeit with several spectacular exceptions) with me fully understanding why a kid would play a handheld under such circumstances.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 11-30-2011 at 04:01 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by leatherrebel5150 View Post
    I still don't see why they have never made a pokemon game on a console like the ones they have made for handhelds...thats what really annoys me.

I have been wondering this since 1997. I guess the market and profitability is just better for handhelds, and I think part of the appeal of pokemon is that you can just take it on the go with you all the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

Quote Originally Posted by GameNinja View Post
    I have been wondering this since 1997. I guess the market and profitability is just better for handhelds, and I think part of the appeal of pokemon is that you can just take it on the go with you all the time.
    Pocket Monsters.

Portability is the point of Pokemon. It attempts to include community in the game as you cannot capture all the pokemans(!!!) without finding other players out there.
    Wants:
    Starflight Starmap and Code Wheel
    Starflight II Starmap
    Got these for sale or trade? PM ME!!!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by Sabz5150 View Post
    Pocket Monsters.

Portability is the point of Pokemon. It attempts to include community in the game as you cannot capture all the pokemans(!!!) without finding other players out there.
    lol except for the majority of people who just bought both/all three versions and traded with themselves because they also wanted all the starter pokemon as well.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    lol except for the majority of people who just bought both/all three versions and traded with themselves because they also wanted all the starter pokemon as well.
    I had a Bung Doctor GB (wish I still did) and what I did is completed the Red version and ripped & dumped my save to the Blue one. Worked perfectly
    Wants:
    Starflight Starmap and Code Wheel
    Starflight II Starmap
    Got these for sale or trade? PM ME!!!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, some of you sound just like the adults over at the Transformers collector site. I dont understand when adults complain about things mainly aimed at Kids. You have 30 consoles connected to 8 60 inch flat screens with surround sound, 1000 games and 2000 accessories but you complain that you cant play the 2 games made for the Game gear.

Key (Level 9) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My brother didn't play handhelds for a long time (at least since the late 90s).

He just wanted to play the Castlevanias on DS, but for some strange reason, didn't think he could look at a small screen for such a long time.

A couple of months ago, out of the blue, he wanted to try and play Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, finally. I helped him get going on it, and he has now played all of my DS Castlevanias and Dragon Quests.

He was even playing FF4CC on PSP, until he dropped my system. Now the memory card stick slot doesn't work! Yay! He says he is going to replace it. I guess I'll know this Christmas...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LimitedEditionMuseum View Post
    Wow, some of you sound just like the adults over at the Transformers collector site. I dont understand when adults complain about things mainly aimed at Kids. You have 30 consoles connected to 8 60 inch flat screens with surround sound, 1000 games and 2000 accessories but you complain that you cant play the 2 games made for the Game gear.
    Video games are 'mainly aimed' at males in their twenties.
    Your soccer mom mentality isn't going to do you any favors around here.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    That's probably true for most handheld devices, but I'm not sure Nintendo handhelds (or consoles for that matter) are mainly aimed at twenty something males.

Nintendo seems to be pretty kid centric.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Not looking for any favors and Im talking about hand held systems. I do believe they are targeted more for kids. "video games" in general are aimed at ALL ages that's why they have games for all ages and the rating system.

Captain Caveman (and Son!) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    My XBOX is dead, not live.
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend
    Friendless :(

Quote Originally Posted by LimitedEditionMuseum View Post
    *grabs popcorn and asbestos overalls*

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im not trying to start a war. I just dont understand why people would say they "hate" hand consoles instead of respecting them for what they are.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I think handhelds are for adults just as much as they are for kids. A lot of people buy handhelds just to play the exclusives that are parts of their favorite series and ignore the rest of the library though.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    I think handhelds are for adults just as much as they are for kids. A lot of people buy handhelds just to play the exclusives that are parts of their favorite series and ignore the rest of the library though.
    This. I find it hard to believe the Classic NES series was aimed at kids, or Namco Museum, or GBC Space Invaders, or...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyvale420 View Post
    This. I find it hard to believe the Classic NES series was aimed at kids, or Namco Museum, or GBC Space Invaders, or...
    Last I checked, all the kiddies were going crazy over Space Invaders, Sunnyvale420. It's gotten so bad, in fact, that I've heard that trying to play Halo or Call or Duty online is more like walking through a ghost town than an actual battle field. It really saddens me to see first-person shooters going to waste like that but what can you do? The kids these day, eh?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    Last I checked, all the kiddies were going crazy over Space Invaders, Sunnyvale420. It's gotten so bad, in fact, that I've heard that trying to play Halo or Call or Duty online is more like walking through a ghost town than an actual battle field. It really saddens me to see first-person shooters going to waste like that but what can you do? The kids these day, eh?
    Oh, man! And I sold my copy to buy a Pokemon game for my daughter

Guess I need to stand a bit closer to the pulse, eh?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My main probelm with current gen handhelds is that they are now treading on console prices, both for systems and games. 3DS games are only $10 cheaper than Wii games, the system cost more than the Wii and the Vita cost more than the Wii and 4gb 360. The reason I never buy handhelds anywhere near launch or their first few years of existence is because they have become too cost-prohibited to me. But when I find them for cheap(like the $20 Psp I found over the summer) I am all over them.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    My main probelm with current gen handhelds is that they are now treading on console prices, both for systems and games. 3DS games are only $10 cheaper than Wii games, the system cost more than the Wii and the Vita cost more than the Wii and 4gb 360. The reason I never buy handhelds anywhere near launch or their first few years of existence is because they have become too cost-prohibited to me. But when I find them for cheap(like the $20 Psp I found over the summer) I am all over them.
    This is my biggest gripe as well. I like "small," but I also like the prices to be small as well. I want to buy Mario Kart 7 and Mario 3D Land, but for the same price I can purchase a new console game. I know the Mario game is good, but I suspect it doesn't quite look like Mario Galaxy.

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    How close do you people usually sit to your TV when you play games? Try this experiment. Sit where you usually sit to play games on a TV. Take a handheld and hold it at the normal distance you would to play it, but have its screen appear next to the TV screen. Compare the 2 relative sizes from your point of view. Now tell me that hand held screens are really that much smaller. It's all relative...unless you sit as close to your TV as you hold a handheld that is.
    This is a great point. I never thought of it that way.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    How close do you people usually sit to your TV when you play games? Try this experiment. Sit where you usually sit to play games on a TV. Take a handheld and hold it at the normal distance you would to play it, but have its screen appear next to the TV screen. Compare the 2 relative sizes from your point of view. Now tell me that hand held screens are really that much smaller. It's all relative...unless you sit as close to your TV as you hold a handheld that is.

Yeah playing a game on a small screen is exactly like playing one on a big screen if you hold the game close enough to your face.

The other day my family asked me to take them to the movies, so I set up four chairs directly in front of our 27 in. TV and said "welcome to the world's largest movie theater!"

We all sat with our faces three inches from the screen. It was just like being in a huge theater. Then I put my face directly in front of my daughter's face and said she can tell everyone at school her daddy is a giant.