Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Could CRT TV's be hitting rock bottom prices?

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Could CRT TV's be hitting rock bottom prices?

Lately, LCD TV's have been dropping in price. Many which cost $1000+ a year ago on Black Friday cost far less this season. They were on almost everybody's mind this year. A co-worker was looking at a bargain brand 32" LCD for $188. I stood in line for some stuff at an electronics store this year, and when the store opened, everyone dashed to the HDTV's. I myself walked out with an LED LCD monitor. Now everyone's trying to get rid of their CRT TV's.

On a side note, I even found a working 27" Sony Trinitron WEGA on the side of the road today. Giving that to one of my friends :P

Although you could get CRT's for under $100 previously, the electronics sections of classifieds like craigslist is now highly populated with people trying to get rid of them. My local craigslist has about 10 on there within the last few days. Could this overpopulation of unwanted CRT's cause people to get rid of CRT's for next to nothing?
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since I am only interested in CRTs (particularly those Sony Trinitrons), this is extremely good for someone like me. Don't care for the flat screens.
    "As you traitors roast in your own juices, I will be safely ensconced three miles below the earth's surface, listening to my wax-cylinder player and enjoying a delicious phosphate!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    Could this overpopulation of unwanted CRT's cause people to get rid of CRT's for next to nothing?
    It has been happening for quite sometime now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    4596-9692-2482

What's so special about the sony things?
    Fanboys destroy everything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    compute1984

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    What's so special about the sony things?
    I had a 27" that I bought brand new. Awesome TV. Great picture, great sound, abundance of inputs. I remember something about a comb filter, and some other doodads. I really liked that tv.

As far as tv's being cheap, part of that is because it now costs money in most places to throw a tv away. So the guy who legitimately thinks his 19" Haier is worth $75 is being torn to shreds by everyone who owns a 32" Toshiba that just wants it gone.
    See my latest arcade repair at the Holodeck 2 Arcade Repair Blog: http://holodeck2arcade.blogspot.com

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can always find decent CRTs at Goodwill or thrift stores. I bought a 19" for old game playing at only $20.

Insert Coin (Level 0) theredlineboss's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd say that CRT's have been at rock bottom for awhile now. I recently got a 37" CRT for free from my grandmother's neighbor just because his daughter convinced him to get a flat screen. Works great for all my gaming needs

-Rob
    Console Collection:
    TeleGames Super Pong, 2600, 5200, 7800, Jaguar, Intellivision, ColecoVision, TurboGrafx, 3DO, Master System, Genesis/ CD/ 32x, Saturn, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, 64, Gamecube, Wii, PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Game Gear, Lynx, GB, GBP, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, GBM, DS, 3DS, NGP, NGPC, WonderSwan & PSP

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

You have two ways of getting a fully functioning CRT TV of a decent size. You can either pay a laughable amount on Craigslist, or garbage pick. We've actually given away a few working crt TV's over the last few years as we got HD's. I just put them on Craigslist and say come get it.

I've kept an old RCA 27" ColorTrak we got in 1993 for "SD" gaming. Compared to an HDTV, you aren't going to notice picture quality differences between old sets. Just as long as it is not damaged in any way. Though you do wonder now if the rush on HDTV's could lead to a mass trash out of most of the remaining CRT's?
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    I've kept an old RCA 27" ColorTrak we got in 1993 for "SD" gaming. Compared to an HDTV, you aren't going to notice picture quality differences between old sets. Just as long as it is not damaged in any way. Though you do wonder now if the rush on HDTV's could lead to a mass trash out of most of the remaining CRT's?
    I don't know... I guess I haven't been paying attention, but I haven't noticed a rush quite like this. They're getting nearly cheap enough to have one for every room one normally has a TV now: a 40" for the living room, a 32" for the family room, and a 24" for the bedroom. There was a rush before, but I thought that was just people getting a single entertainment center TV. Now the kids can toss out their 18" CRTs and get a $188 LCD for Christmas.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

If free beside the dumpster is considered rock bottom pricing...then yes. That's how I've picked up several nice sets for a few years now.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got this in perfect shape from a thrift sale in the Spring. Zenith HDTV C32V37. I have all my old consoles hooked up to it.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by soloman View Post
    You can always find decent CRTs at Goodwill or thrift stores. I bought a 19" for old game playing at only $20.
    Yeah -- depends on the Goodwill. One around here that gets a lot of old TVs has BIG SCREEN, nice TVs for $9.99, and smaller ones for $4.99. Ones with built in DVD players and remotes that are big cost a whopping $19.99.

The MGC bought about 30 of these not too long ago
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah HDTV's are getting super cheap. I just picked up a 60 in Sharp Aquos for $799 for my living room.

I still have my 32in Toshiba Cinema Series for classic gaming. Funny , the Toshiba cost more than my 60 in back in 1999 lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's hard to even give them away around here.
    Unless it has RGB inputs, I won't even look at a CRT anymore.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

I recently gave a friend a very nice trinitron wega by sony for free since he had no tv. I then had to sell my 32in lcd sony sadly. I still however have my 60inch projection and one more crt 32in given to me free by family. Hope to get a trinitron again for old games or another nice lcd someday

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

CRT prices are about as rock bottom as they'll ever be right now before they become rare antiques and collector's items in the future because more and more of them are getting recycled and tossed out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Unless it has RGB inputs, I won't even look at a CRT anymore.

Same here. Nice thing though, I've had lots of luck lately with cheap Sony PVM 20" RGB monitors. Got 3 spare PVMs just sitting unused in the closet. Also got this other Sony display monitor with a true japanese 21-pin RGB input. They'll be good spares once my 25" PVM bites the dust.

__________________________________________________ ___

[ Severely Outdated Game Collection Pics ]
    [ My Multi-screen MADNESS!! ]

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

In my area on craigslist they give crts away for free. And if you feel the need for one of those big bastards some will actually pay a small fee to haul away their thousand pound 50 inch crt tv lol

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

ya crts have been rock bottom for years... you can get a nice big sony for free or cheap. i got a 40 inch xbr trinitron (biggest crt they make top of the line) for $40. oh my god that thing is insanely heavy. nobody wants crts cus they weigh too much and are a bitch to move. i have 4 sony tvs 19 inch 35 37 and 40 inch. the picture on the 19 inch is plain incredible. really bright and sharp. even with AV cables games look stunning.

my next tv though is gonna be a 65 inch sony 1080 hd tv. used of course, can find em for good deal.

Captain Caveman (and Son!) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    My XBOX is dead, not live.
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend
    Friendless :(

I got one I gave to my dad for $5. 36" screen. Heavy, sucked to move, but yard sales are the place to get CRT sets.

Or next to dumpsters.