Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Could CRT TV's be hitting rock bottom prices?

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I got a Sony HD CRT off craigslist a few weeks ago. Then when I got it home, it was too heavy to get up the stairs, so it's just been sitting down in the hall by the front door.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    I got a Sony HD CRT off craigslist a few weeks ago. Then when I got it home, it was too heavy to get up the stairs, so it's just been sitting down in the hall by the front door.
    I see those on Craigslist all the time. If I recall, they often were produced on top of a stand/base, which practically doubled the weight of them. I always thought about them, but I've read a few times that many of the "HD" CRT's don't work properly with light guns.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

heres a good question, what in the world makes crts weigh so much anyway? they got freakin lead in them!?

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kevincal View Post
    heres a good question, what in the world makes crts weigh so much anyway? they got freakin lead in them!?

Actually, yes, although it's only a few pounds. The primary purpose of this lead is to block X-ray emissions.

Most of the weight in a CRT is actually the really thick glass. The glass has to be thick so that it can withstand the tremendous pressure that threatens to implode the vacuum tube. The bigger the screen or the flatter the tube, the thicker the glass has to be.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Insert Coin (Level 0) jordandavid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Sony Trinitron WEGA 27" was dicussed pretty thorougly here, so maybe this will help. http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151819

I don't post on here very often during the semester when I don't have a lot of time, but I've been lurking lately and I saw this post. I went to the Goodwill yesterday and found a ton of crt tvs, including two Sony Trinitron's, one dated 1999 and one dated 2001. (Haven't seen a single one in a while, so maybe the OP is on to something.) I think the 'newer' one had numerous s-video, component, and composite inputs in the back. However, I didn't notice a 'WEGA' logo anywhere on either TV.
    Just my two coins.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

I got his at Goodwill a month ago for 30$
    Sony 27 inch Wega. 480P with component and simulated surround.Man playing SNES/Genesis on it is sublime

Last edited by Ryudo; 11-30-2011 at 03:13 PM.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I should post mytv pick up in case you guys didn't see in this thread. A little while ago I picked up an amazing vintage CRT that does RGB.

I made a thread about it
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156865

and check out my videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctnFFU9FXJ8

and bonus! this NTSC tv plays PAL50!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nxomAjMjU0
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    I see those on Craigslist all the time. If I recall, they often were produced on top of a stand/base, which practically doubled the weight of them. I always thought about them, but I've read a few times that many of the "HD" CRT's don't work properly with light guns.
    This one has no stand/base. Actually if it did it might make it easier to move, since there'd be more area to hold onto, push against.

I never heard that about HD CRT and lightguns, but it's not like they work with LCD's either. Moot for me, since I've never even owned a lightgun.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ryudo View Post
    I got his at Goodwill a month ago for 30$
    Sony 27 inch Wega. 480P with component and simulated surround.Man playing SNES/Genesis on it is sublime
    Odd, that's the same TV I mentioned in the thread title, but it doesn't do 480p... just really good 480i with component.

<EDIT> Wait, it's not the same. Mine says Trinitron SRS on the lower left, and WEGA where yours says Trinitron. I should mention that the built-in speakers are phenomenal for built-in speakers. It may be a better TV than my 36" Trinitron, but I can't keep it
    Last edited by BetaWolf47; 12-01-2011 at 08:27 AM.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    This one has no stand/base. Actually if it did it might make it easier to move, since there'd be more area to hold onto, push against.

I never heard that about HD CRT and lightguns, but it's not like they work with LCD's either. Moot for me, since I've never even owned a lightgun.
    I can confirm that lightguns don't seem to work with HD CRTs. I'm sure it's a different reason than why they don't work with LCDs, but the end result is the same (which is a shame because I own a nice 36" 4:3 HD CRT). That's why I have two 20" regular CRTs that I keep around for my older systems. Of course my Saturn and DC are hooked up to my VGA monitor which I assume will work with a lightgun but I haven't tried it yet.
    --- www.AtariProtos.com ---
    All Your Prototypes Are Belong To Us!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got a 34" Toshiba CRT HD.... its retrogaming bliss... has a/v, s-video, component and hdmi inputs... great for any gaming system from NES to 360/PS3... primary gaming tv.

If it broke, i would pay to have it fixed or buy another one the exact same model.

Highly recommended.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Quote Originally Posted by Scott84 View Post
    I got a 34" Toshiba CRT HD.... its retrogaming bliss... has a/v, s-video, component and hdmi inputs... great for any gaming system from NES to 360/PS3... primary gaming tv.

If it broke, i would pay to have it fixed or buy another one the exact same model.

Highly recommended.
    Do older systems look ok on it? My HD CRT is great for anything S-video or above (PS2 on up really), but looks pretty bad with composite like from the NES.

Peach (Level 3) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Could CRT TV's be hitting rock bottom prices?

Quote Originally Posted by theredlineboss View Post
    I'd say that CRT's have been at rock bottom for awhile now. I recently got a 37" CRT for free from my grandmother's neighbor just because his daughter convinced him to get a flat screen. Works great for all my gaming needs

-Rob
    Sweet! I had the same thing happen to me from a old neighbor. Got a 36" Toshiba CRT that was like new for Free! Has two RF inputs, two or three composite inputs, s/video input, and component input called DVD input. She also had the remote control that was like new with original paperwork! Awesome picture and sound! Got it in my game room and totally happy!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to have a 36" RCA that had two VGA ports, but oddly couldn't do 480p through component.
    It was great for Dreamcast and PC, although the maximum resolution was 800*600.
    Anyway, I payed about $1000 for it, but gave it to my brother when I moved to a smaller place. He gave it to my nephew, who used it for several years before it died.
    I could probably find something like that now for free, or even get payed to remove it.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love the smaller CRT sets for my older consoles. I have a bunch of 13" name brand tvs and a beautiful 20" set, all obtained free of charge. Our retro gaming room is small, so with seating that is lower in height and closer, the image on the smaller sets is very sharp. I leave the LCD to the larger current gen room.

Cherry (Level 1) leatherrebel5150's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I was thinking about picking up one of the trinitrons since I've heard so much about them. Then the other day I was sitting in my room and just happened to look at the tv and realized that it says trinitron in the upper coner. I had the dam thing the whole time and didn't know it. It is built into its own entertainment cabinet and yes it weighs a friggen ton.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

The only thing that I don't like about CRT TVs is that most of them didn't include stereo sound or S-video unless they were like 20 inches, and that is too big to have a setup with several TVs.

I'm thinking that I'll only find TVs that fit those specs if they were made by Sony. Or I'll keep an eye out for one like Satoshi_Matrix's, that would be awesome, I wouldn't even care about space...
    Last edited by Tupin; 12-01-2011 at 07:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    The only thing that I don't like about CRT TVs is that most of them didn't include stereo sound or S-video unless they were like 20 inches, and that is too big to have a setup with several TVs.
    Years ago that was the case. You usually wouldn't of even had a composite input on a smaller set (Such as a 13" tv) during the 1990's.

But during the last few years of CRT production, premium features trickled down to even small budget sets. I have several cheap late model CRT's in the 13" range that offer stereo sound, secondary side or rear composite inputs to easily swap things out, flat screens, and s-video and component connections. The type of set you could buy for under $100 at a Wal-Mart before they started to disappear a couple of years ago.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 12-01-2011 at 09:10 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Jaruff

Quote Originally Posted by Collector_Gaming View Post
    In my area on craigslist they give crts away for free. And if you feel the need for one of those big bastards some will actually pay a small fee to haul away their thousand pound 50 inch crt tv lol
    This. I helped a friend get this old 50-60 inch beast a few years ago and the lady paid us $50 to take it away. He kept the TV and we split the cash.

I haven't bothered with them lately but I would always pick up free ones when I went to college. I could sell them to kids in the dorm for $10-20. Hell, I sold one with the old dial tuners to this one kid for $10. Basic cable was free and guys just needed a cheap TV to get them through the quarter. I even found a few at the dumpster and resold them the next quarter.

My grandparents still have three CRT's. Two budget brands and one vintage (early 90's) 37" Sony Trinitron. I'm tempted to buy them an LCD next year just so I can have the Sony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

This is the one I have, well worth it if you can find one still (pick up obviously, it weighs 250 pounds!): http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...mber=KD36XS955