Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xbox Loop ? A new Xbox console a year from now?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Xbox Loop ? A new Xbox console a year from now?

http://msnerd.tumblr.com/

"The Xbox is another story altogether. With a heady mix of rumors, tips and speculation, I am now stating that Xbox codename “loop” (the erstwhile XboxTV) will indeed debut a modified Win9 core. It will use a Zune HD-like hardware platform—a “main” processor with multiple dedicated assistive cores for graphics, AI, physics, sound, networking, encryption and sensors. It will be custom designed by Microsoft and two partners (update: AMD, Imagination Technologies & Samsung are three names I’ve heard so far) based on the ARM architecture. It will be cheaper than the 360, further enabling Kinect adoption. And it will be far smaller than the 360. "

I'm not sure if this rumor has been talked about here yet, but I'm wondering what people think about it. I'm not really a technical guy, but I keep hearing that this new Xbox will feature an ARM-based heterogeneous system-on-chip (SoC) with multiple dedicated assistive cores. Supposedly, there is no way that an "ARM" based processor could be super powerful, so it seems that Microsoft isn't very interested with making a technological wonder. It does say that Microsoft is very interested in having a system that isn't going to overheat, but at the sacrifice of raw power.

I wonder if games will really look all that much different?

Also, the rumor is that this new Xbox will be announced THIS January at CES. Not much of the console will be shown, not even an image of the console. Most likely just the name, and maybe some talk about it's features. Then, at GDC in March, the console will be officially unveiled, with all of the detailed specs, and perhaps even a demo of what it can do. Then at e3 next June, Microsoft would pretty much unveil everything Xbox Loop (until we have a better idea it's real name), and announce it's November 17th, 2012 launch.

It all sounds crazy, and way too fast imo, the Xbox 360 is still selling very well, it can sell well at $199, it's not like they are selling for only $99, and hardly anybody has any big games coming for it. I honestly can't see this rumor being totally true. I guess we'll find out at CES. If there isn't the slightest peep at CES about the next Xbox, then I would guess it's a 2013 product.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

with so many titles still scheduled for release in the early/mid 2012, it makes me think this is pretty unlikely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't believe we'll hear about the Xbox 720 until E3 2013 with a Fall 2013 release in mind. Xbox 360 is at its peak at the moment and isn't in immediate need of replacement. It easily has a good two years left in it I think before the time comes for a successor.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 12-03-2011 at 02:31 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Xbox 360 is getting quite long in the tooth, and the Kinect doesn't seem to be doing what they want it to. So I wouldn't be surprised if they're finally starting to ready up a new console. But the particulars of this rumor -- an ARM-based system, cheaper than the 360 -- just don't sound right. Unless it's actually a portable. "Far smaller" is perhaps a subtle hint.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In another year most ARM smartphones will be more powerful than the 360, so I don't think it's out of the question for some type of consolized smartphone tech to show up sooner or later.
    Strip away the screen, camera, radio, and battery from a good phone, and what you have left is a very energy efficient media computer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    NOPHIX
    PSN
    Nophix

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    In another year most ARM smartphones will be more powerful than the 360, so I don't think it's out of the question for some type of consolized smartphone tech to show up sooner or later.
    Strip away the screen, camera, radio, and battery from a good phone, and what you have left is a very energy efficient media computer.
    Most smartphones now are more powerful than anything ARM has. I've got 2 of them that can. Both are dual core, one TI OMAP4 and one Tegra2. Both game quite well.

If Xbox goes ARM, I'm out.

This almost makes me wonder if they are moving from game console to set top box media center. OK if they keep the horsepower, not OK if they neuter it.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

That's what it sounded like to me. An all in one media center device, which would still be running the 360 system, but other things as well.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Xbox 360 is getting quite long in the tooth, and the Kinect doesn't seem to be doing what they want it to.
    It's also having its best holiday season yet. Market performance is the determining factor in when they release a replacement and the 360 is at its peak (or perhaps hasn't even reached it yet).

It doesn't need replacement in the immediate future so I'm going to stick with the commonly held thought that we're going to find out about the Xbox 720 and see it released in 2013. That gives the 360 another Christmas season to itself, won't overshadow Halo 4, and gives the 360 close to two more years as Microsoft's premier game console. By late 2013, I imagine the 360 will be declining and be in need of replacement and then it can settle down to several more years as Microsoft's budget offerring.

But it's still growing as 2011 comes to a close. They're not going to deflate things in a few weeks on a growing system that is making them a lot of money.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 12-06-2011 at 11:54 PM.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    That's what it sounded like to me. An all in one media center device, which would still be running the 360 system, but other things as well.
    I've often wondered if they would do something like that eventually. From some of the talk MS has had in the past it seems like they want to move in the all-in-one media center direction at least with the next console.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think November 2013 is pretty much a guarantee, but I see 2012 as highly unlikely. The only way Xbox launches that soon, is if they feel like they need a full year ahead of Sony again, although Sony is more like November 2014, so I'm not sure why they are rushing this out (assuming this rumor is true)

The good news is that CES is right around the corner, so we'll know a bit more after the Microsoft keynote. If there is no mention of this, then we know that 2012 is pretty much out of the question, although it wouldn't totally shock me if an announcement came at GDC instead of CES.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    It's also having its best holiday season yet. Market performance is the determining factor in when they release a replacement
    You could have made this exact statement in late 2004 regarding the Xbox to argue that its replacement wasn't around the corner. I believe the Playstation's best holiday season was also the year before its successor launched (1999).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    You could have made this exact statement in late 2004 regarding the Xbox to argue that its replacement wasn't around the corner.
    360 wasn't unveiled days after Christmas.

Furthermore, the Xbox was also a huge money loser which spurred on Microsoft to drop it as soon as possible after it finished its job of establishing a beachhead in this marketplace for them (As I recall, the quarter when Halo 2 released was the only time the Xbox 1 program showed a profit and the console itself always sold at a significant loss). The Xbox 360 has been a financial success for several years now and is making them a lot of money including with every console sale. So there isn't that incentive there like there was 6 years ago to move on.
    Just the same, I think you raised a valid point. But I'm still sticking with my expectation of 2013. It seems like the safe bet.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 05-08-2014 at 06:22 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

This almost sounds like a television that can play downloadable 360 games without the need for a console. Samsung is one of the leading television manufacturers, so it makes sense that their name is being tossed in there.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So it's a system-on-a-chip from the beginning. Nice, maybe the hardware failure rate will be lower.

If they go with AMD again, I wonder if they'll consider the APUs. Those things are awesome. A little underpowered, but I think they'd be great chips for consoles. They run cool too...

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Who wants to bet that the next Xbox will not be called the "Xbox 720" like everybody calls it? They've only used the rotation scheme "360" on one console so far so there is nothing indicating a naming trend going on.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think everyone just uses it as a placeholder for clarity and convenience and realizes that's all it is. Sounds better than writing out "the Xbox 360's successor", "the next generation Xbox", or referencing it as the "Xbox 3" (and possibly confusing someone that thinks you left the last two digits off 360) everytime you discuss it.

It's in such widespread use now though that I think it will be considered for the official name, although I doubt it would ever be selected.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 12-05-2011 at 03:43 PM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

360 implies one rotation. Loop implies pretty much the same thing. Barrel Roll, on the other hand...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Halo 4's already been announced for 360, and it's coming next holiday season. Can't see them announcing a new Xbox prior to the newest installment of Microsoft's signature series. It would really take the thunder out of Halo 4's release. Also, Microsoft sold almost a million Xboxes last month. They're going to milk this generation for another year at least.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    360 implies one rotation.
    I thought it represented the system's internal operating temperature, 360 degrees.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

The Wii sucks. Oh. This is a Microsoft thread you say? Carry on then, good people.

I just hope that the next Xbox has support for original Xbox and 360 games. Because if I don't pick a 360s up I'll still have a single console to play 360 and Xbox. One console to play them all.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 12-05-2011 at 10:11 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.