Thread: NES/Famicom Toploader PPU video & audio mod

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default NES/Famicom Toploader PPU video & audio mod

Is anyone familiar with this mod?

Evidently, he swapped out the NES' Picture Processing Unit (PPU) with one from a Playchoice 10, making the colors much brighter and the picture crisper. The modder also replaced the audio chip. The embedded video shows the difference in sound and audio quality in the Famicom version of Contra. I have to say, I'm kinda interested. What does anyone know about this mod? Does it require cannibalizing a Playchoice-10 or are there other ways? How much cash would something like this probably take to make happen?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

You're a little misinformed, but that's okay, i'll still answer your questions.

I know the guy who did the mod you're referring to. The purpose of replacing the PPU is to output RGB, which is what the arcade Play-Choice 10 and VS Cabinets used. Using RGB doesn't make the colors "brighter" or "crisper" but it does adjust NES software to use the RGB color pallet and a pure RGB signal is much cleaner than a composite signal produced by the stock NES PPU.

The PPU capable of RGB, the RP2C03, was only present in Nintendo Play-Choice 10s, VS Cabinets and the Japanese Famicom Titler. The Titler is very very rare, so generally speaking the only way to get a RP2C03 is to cannibalize one of the Nintendo cabs.

The guy who make the example you posted used a special $150 board imported from Japan that adds extra bass to the noise and triangle channels. It also includes all the parts to amplify the video signal and can also the RGB to S-Video.

So assuming you have the skills to fully modify it yourself, you'll need a arcade board with the correct PPU, parts to amplify it, a Famicom or NES and also the $150 Japanese board for S-Video/Extra Bass.

You'll looking at around $400 minimum if you can do it yourself, $700+ if you get someone else to do it for you.

Myself I have a RP2C03 installed in an AV Famicom that's feeding the RGB through European SCART of which I then adapt into component video. The audio benefit alone isn't worth spending the extra cash on.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    I know the guy who did the mod you're referring to... Myself I have a RP2C03 installed in an AV Famicom that's feeding the RGB through European SCART of which I then adapt into component video.
    Did this fellow mod your AV Famicom? Also, do you have an article on your blog or a video on your youtube channel showcasing this modded AV Famicom that you have?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The above poster is correct, people have been doing this for years, if you want to read some info on the process you can take a look at this site;

LINK

The place to get the PCB/kit in that picture is here (Japanese)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    Did this fellow mod your AV Famicom? Also, do you have an article on your blog or a video on your youtube channel showcasing this modded AV Famicom that you have?
    No and no. my RGB AV Famicom is currently in Chile in the care of a friend of mine at least until the end of the year. When I get it back I'll be sure to make a few posts about it.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    No and no. my RGB AV Famicom is currently in Chile in the care of a friend of mine at least until the end of the year. When I get it back I'll be sure to make a few posts about it.
    I hope that he or she is a good friend.