Thread: EGG: Elemental Gimmick Gear (Dreamcast)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default EGG: Elemental Gimmick Gear (Dreamcast)

Hi all,

I was thinking about purchasing this game in the near future. I hear it's an Action/Adventure/RPG for the Dreamcast. Can some of you give me your opinions on this game? Can you level up? How difficult is it? Is it pretty fun game to play? Thanks for any insight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just got this game today. I've heard it's a challenging adventure game in a similar vein to the old 2D Zelda games. Never heard anyone talk poorly of it and it sure looks great too boot, which is nice being a Dreamcast exclusive. I'm interested to hear more on what people with more exposure would have to say but in the end the price (under $20) is pretty good.
    Whaddya mean invalid parameters?!

9,000 gigs of ram and it still can't answer a simple question!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SP4C3FL34
    PSN
    ArrowShockwave

It's been about 10 years since I last played it, but I remember enjoying it immensely. I got about 2/3 through it before I stopped playing (i.e. left for college), and I stopped playing games altogether shortly thereafter, so I've never finished. I can't recall anything particularly negative about it. But, since it's been so long, I can't offer any gleaming meaningful descriptive praise either.
    Be Attitude For Gains...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like EGG. It also gives people another glimpse into the very overlooked Hudson Soft. Very good story that gets deeper as the game goes. Just so it's known, the game actually originally started production as a Saturn game. Very cool stuff and very worth playing. Too bad we never saw a sequel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T2KFreeker View Post
    Very good story that gets deeper as the game goes
    What I've read about is that the storyline is rather weak, but the gameplay is on the up comparable to the SNES Zelda and PS1 Alundra (never played that game). 2-D overall but 3-D boss battles.

Strawberry (Level 2) FrankSerpico's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never picked it up, but I will eventually. That and Record of Lodoss War are really the only DC RPGs beyond SoA and Grandia 2 I'd want to fill out my collection

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

I remember getting really pissed off at it a few years ago, but I don't remember why.

I'd like to give it another shot... if my Dreamcast wasn't dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

I love this game.
    Great gem on the DC. Great hand drawn visuals and interesting boss fights.
    Music is nice also

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It's a good game, yeah. I'm pretty sure it started out as a Saturn game, and the 3d elements aren't great, but they're only seen rarely (in some boss fights only, if I remember right?); most of the game is nice, somewhat Saturn-esque 2d. The gameplay is very much 16-bit Zelda inspired, like most 2d action-RPGs from that time, and it is done well. It's one of the closest things the DC has to a Zelda game, so yeah, it's worth playing.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankSerpico
    I never picked it up, but I will eventually. That and Record of Lodoss War are really the only DC RPGs beyond SoA and Grandia 2 I'd want to fill out my collection
    They're nowhere near SoA or Grandia 2 levels of quality (note: Skies of Arcadia is my favorite JRPG ever), but I do kind of enjoy Evolution 2 and TimeStalkers (I haven't played Evolution 1)... both are fairly simple dungeon crawlers at their core, and are repetitive, but there's enough there for me to have fun.

Oh, and I would mention PSO of course, but there's no reason to play the DC version.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Egg is a very good game with an amazing soundtrack.

It doesn't controll like zelda, a bit more clunky because of the mech suit, but it has the same core mechanics and an amazing soundtrack. There are lots of areas that you will see but can't access until you get certain items and it has an amazing sountrack. There are lots of secret areas (the hidden race tracks are awesome) and hidden upgrades strewn throughout the game that you will enjoy finding while listening to its amazing soundtrack.

The story is slowly revealed throughout the game, and while it seems simple at first, it really has a lot going for it. The translation or writing could have been improved to deliver a deeper story, but what's there is pretty decent and it has an amazing soundtrack, seriously.

The entire game has this desolate feeling to it that is enhanced by its amazing soundtrack. You really feel like you are unearthing this ancient technology and old ruins as the game progresses. It gave me this feeling of peacefulness but lonelyness while I played the game. The game is very unique, has beautiful hand drawn graphics and an amazing soundtrack.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?