captaindoom666

Default Xboxs new interface sucks

And....... Begin rant!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I generally dislike it. I like that they finally brought the snappy shoulder button navigation back. That's... about it. The most annoying thing they did was switch "x" and "y" to eject the disc. WTF? WHY? Oh, and they did the same thing to the Netflix app. It used to be "x" to add something to your queue and now its "y," while "x" DELETES it. Seriously. Rage mode.

You can set beacons, but then you can only see the ones your friends set if you click on the specific game in the menu. So my friend could want to play BF3, set a beacon, because its better than spamming his friend's list, but I don't SEE the beacon, because I'm playing Halo. I LOVE the beacon idea. Just make it easier to see them.

Cloud storage!? GREAT! I can finally play the same game on my 2nd Xbox downstairs if the kiddos are watching Dora the Explorer on my main console. This is an awesome additi... wait... I still have to recover my gamertag? Let me put my GAMERTAG in the cloud, and use it on 2 or 3 consoles without having to recover it. Kind of like Steam does. THEN cloud storage is useful. Otherwise 512 mb is pretty pointless when I have 80 gb left on the HDD.

They buried the useful info like friends lists and achievements in favor of more advertising space. Even arcade games are buried. You know, the stuff I PAID for.

Oh, and indie games are pretty much non-existent in any form. How's that for support, indie developers? Oh, you sunk money into sdks and memberships and crap? Too bad. MS doesn't care, because fuck you.

Obviously, they optimized the dashboard for their Kinect camera... which I sold because of the lousy integration and games. So I suppose they remedied that, but too late.

Not to sound like a cranky old man, which I'm sure I do by this point, but I want the old blades back.

How's that for a rant? Did I miss anything?
    -Dobie
    NES, SNES, & Gameboy Collector

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I hear that they got rid of Netflix chat parties.

Boo! No more make your own MST3K
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

First off they make the navigation a pain the ass compared to before. Just looks like a complete cluster fuck.
    It might be more user friendly with the kinect but not everyone owns one. And in the case of some friends who live in apartments with small rooms they dont have the proper room to utilize one so meaning impossiable to have it.
    Third off they screwed the game menus up. You want to search for arcade games seperate from other games? Too bad. And yes they basically gave the indie game people the royal fuck you.
    And the most amusing part
    The reason why you buy a xbox in the first place is to play games....
    The icon you hit to start your game up is on the main cluster fuck menu. And get this..... Its a small icon on the upper right corner while big icon in friggin middle is advertisment bs i dont care about!!!!

Come on microsoft... Pull your head out of your ass

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

It's clearly designed to be more user-friendly to people with kinect at the expense of everyone else. Thing is, though... it works really well with kinect, especially the voice search. I had a play around with it, and aside from a few glaring errors ('The Fellowship of Foam Finger' in place of 'fellowship of the Ring' and 'Sierra McCormick' in place of 'CM Punk' being my faves) it does work. Using voice controls to switch the Xbox off is cool all by itself (though tbf I can't remember whether or not this was possible before).

What I'm most pissed about is that the marketplace has been all buggered about. Was it really too difficult to leave the categories the way they were?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

The original interface was the best. I think they should go back to that. I don't know about this one but the second one sucked for the time that I used it.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That sounds horrible. I don't intend to update my 360 until I absolutely have to, so I'm in 'wait and see' mode.

How is it when not connected to XBL? I would imagine it's a little more tolerable without all the ads and extraneous services, no?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't have issues with it and it's fun to navigate with kinect. Too bad the best thing to do on kinect right now is navigate the 360 dash...
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh yeah, switching the buttons ticked me off. Every time I want to eject a game I end up playing it again. Using my finger on the front of the xbox is far more efficient now. Why would you do that? Who thought that that was a good idea? That's like taking your car in for service and getting it back with the steering wheel on the right side instead of the left. Idiots... And why change the navigation, it was just fine the way it was. It's like Hollywood trying to remake a movie classic and only end up making it far worse. Don't fix what isn't broken.

As with anything with time I'm sure I'll get used to it but with the system as old as it is and near the end of it's lifespan in another year or 2, why mess with it.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SloshyCape0

Meh. So you have to push a few different buttons, big deal.

I do agree that the whole beacon Idea should have been configured differently, in a way that you would actually know who wanted to play what without having to view the actual persons avatar.

As a side note, anyone else get a kick out of the WarCraft/Chuck Norris add?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Still better than Youtube's new layout.

Strawberry (Level 2) misfits859's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like the one it replaced way better. Maybe I was just used to it. No big deal; at least Skyrim still works!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    True Rush Fan

Do I have to use Bing to find my games now?

So the Kinect users may benefit, the windows phone users may benefit, the rest of us just have to deal with it for their sake.
    WANT LIST:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...older=Wishlist

ALSO WANTED: Dreamcast Sports Edition empty box

FOR SALE/TRADE:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...r+Sale%2FTrade

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    E Nice Geo

Quote Originally Posted by The Shawn View Post
    As a side note, anyone else get a kick out of the WarCraft/Chuck Norris add?
    That was about the only thing I liked seeing after the change. Well, that and it seems they're working on getting a YouTube app.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobie View Post
    I generally dislike it. I like that they finally brought the snappy shoulder button navigation back. That's... about it. ................ Not to sound like a cranky old man, which I'm sure I do by this point, but I want the old blades back.
    Hear, hear.
    Murk: We will bring you Bob Barker. We will bring you the limp and beaten body of Bob Barker! - BTVS

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Hah, and here I thought I was using the latest interface when Otomedius Excellent forced me to update. How long was that one in effect? My 360 is packed away in the closet more often than not, so just about every time I decide to pull it out I have to update. Maybe by the time I'm forced to update again I can skip right past this interface that everyone hates. :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Lerxstnj View Post
    Do I have to use Bing to find my games now?
    The truth isn't that far off. Your XBLA/Xbox Originals/Downloadable 360 title game catalog now consists of 5-6 covers onscreen at one time. If you want to play a game that is further down the alphabet, good luck. It'll take several seconds while the dashboard loads the next 6 covers, then the next 6 covers, and on and on. I have 70+ XBLA games. I don't think I have the patience to make it to Zuma.

Totally mystified by that one.

Other than that it looks sharp and loads content in a flash (game catalog non-withstanding). The older dashboard had one hell of a wait between sections or while accessing achievements, played games, friend avatars, etc. Those waits are now gone. A net improvement IMO.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Hmm.

I spent some time with it tonight and I think it's pretty okay, in fact, I think I like it better than the last iteration of "New XBOX Experience" or whatever they call these layouts.

Once you figure out the "sorting" options on each page it's not a chore to navigate through stuff, though, as mentioned in other posts, I'm not sure why they seem to insist on your game collection being full-screen cards ... for those of us with huge XBLA collections it does get a bit tedious scrolling through from A to Z in a "list all" setup.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

Its not bad, i like the older one better, but as long as i can play Goldeneye Reloaded i dont care either way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sucks? Thats probably being a little too kind. I've only been gaming on the 360 since 2009 but these updates are annoying. Not updates by themselves but these complete overhauls. I prefer the last version. I know that eventually we will all get use to this one and may even learn to like it a little, but by that time they will be rolling out another complete overhaul.

Navigating with Kinect is pretty intuitive but I honestly use my controller more. One of the best uses for Kinect is the Bing searchs. It's almost like having a voice-activated google search engine built right into your console.....except for the fact that Bing isn't nearly as good as google.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

I like it better than NXE but that's not saying much. I do still miss the original dash quite a bit though. And instill hate avatars
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.