Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    vertigoprocess

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Good plan. All those lasers, moving parts, and red hot chips, are sure to last forever.
    yeah gonna have to agree here... once they get to the age the NESs and SNESs are they're bound to have issues as well...

Captain Caveman (and Son!) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    My XBOX is dead, not live.
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend
    Friendless :(

Quote Originally Posted by VertigoProcess View Post
    yeah gonna have to agree here... once they get to the age the NESs and SNESs are they're bound to have issues as well...
    No need to wait till they're old. See big lots of broken NES's on Ebay? SNES? Genesis? 2600?

How about original XBOX? PS2?

When grandpa said they don't make em like they used to, he weren't lyin.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i'm going to try to open up my snes as i only ran a q-tip across the top of the pin connector.

These game bit screws are a pain in the ass. I have the bit for it, managed to get 3 of them out. but the others don't want to loosen. It's like the bit just turns over them and does nothing.

any tips?

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

A lot of game bits out there are cheap crap. The first one I bought was basically useless.

But there's no need to open your systems to clean the slots. Get something like an old credit/library/phone/gift card, wrap it in a thin cotton cloth (like a rag from an old t-shirt or something), pour on some isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol, and stick that in and out of the slot.

As long as you're cleaning your games effectively too and are storing them in such a way that the contacts aren't exposed (like in a drawer, tub, in the box/case, etc.), everything should work nearly perfectly for years to come.

And if you have some carts that are really being difficult, get a clean eraser, like those rectangular pink/green ones that kids use in elementary school, and rub that on the game's contacts. Follow with another cleaning with alcohol, and that should hopefully solve the problem.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by RetroRich View Post
    i'm going to try to open up my snes as i only ran a q-tip across the top of the pin connector.

These game bit screws are a pain in the ass. I have the bit for it, managed to get 3 of them out. but the others don't want to loosen. It's like the bit just turns over them and does nothing.

any tips?
    You should look online for an actual console cleaner. They made these universal cleaning kits with plastic swabs that have thin plastic coated tips that you just insert and remove from your system multiple times. The dirt comes off on the cleaning swab and no liquids are involved.

This is the one I still have parts from http://www.ebay.com/itm/PERFORMANCE-...item3a6d9091e3
    Last edited by Rickstilwell1; 12-10-2011 at 04:21 PM.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

That cleaning kit is awful. I stopped using mine many years ago. I never found it very effective, and there's no way to know if the dirt is just building up on them and being transferred back into a system the next time you use it.

With my recommendation, you know you're starting with something clean, and you can wash the cloth when you're done. I don't even know what those weird chalky plastic sticks are made out of.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    That cleaning kit is awful. I stopped using mine many years ago. I never found it very effective, and there's no way to know if the dirt is just building up on them and being transferred back into a system the next time you use it.

With my recommendation, you know you're starting with something clean, and you can wash the cloth when you're done. I don't even know what those weird chalky plastic sticks are made out of.
    I've tried your recommendation before and couldn't even get it to fit into the system I wanted to do. I suppose the cloth has to be really really thin to fit because obviously a rag won't.

You can also clean the cleaning kit swabs with rubbing alcohol to get rid of the dirt each time.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Collector_Gaming View Post
    Thats why i got a fc twin for that!
    Exactly. My original Nes is the only "old" system that has ever died on me and I have pretty much every major console released since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post

PS1 & PS2 =/= "reliable"

jus sayin.
    While I'm well aware of their hardware issues my original PS1 and PS2 slim still run perfectly. Just like my original PS3 and original 360 still run with no issues.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Captain Caveman (and Son!) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    My XBOX is dead, not live.
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend
    Friendless :(

I always use contact cleaner to clean my consoles with. You'd be amazed at how a console that alcohol won't revive will be helped by contact cleaner. It get's more gunk off the contacts quicker.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

You're either not doing something right, or you're having some really bad luck. I've had little to no problems with my old consoles, especially my SNES, which very rarely gives me a hard time booting up a game. With the NES, maybe you'd want to invest in a Top Load, or maybe just simply disable the lock out chip which may solve some of your woes. You also have to realize that these consoles are starting to get up there in age and can take a little more than pressing the power button to get started.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crazyjackcsa View Post
    Maybe the Rom chips are missing connectors. You should look into that...
    Zing! We have a winner!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

RetroRich, don't listen to these jokers. Emulation is the way to go. You should sell off all that old stuff since you don't need it anymore. Just PM me a list of what you've got and I'll tell you what it's all worth. I'll even go ahead and buy the stuff that isn't worth anything just to save you some trouble.
    Last edited by old man; 12-10-2011 at 07:37 PM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    I've tried your recommendation before and couldn't even get it to fit into the system I wanted to do. I suppose the cloth has to be really really thin to fit because obviously a rag won't.

You can also clean the cleaning kit swabs with rubbing alcohol to get rid of the dirt each time.
    I use cleaning kits by Gemini, I find that they're the best ones out there. The edges seem like they're rubberized. After I clean the systems I take a damp cloth and clean the edge of the cleaning kit, a lot of black comes off just like Q-tips get dirty after cleaning games. I then repeat the cleaning of the systems several more times and keep cleaning the cleaning kit, when I'm done most games start up the first time.

Systems don't need to be cleaned that often, but if you put in dirty games then you'll have problems no matter how many times you clean the games. The system has to be cleaned first and then clean every game before putting them into the system. It should be fine for months or years before needing another cleaning.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Anyone but me get the impression that the OP isn't really giving his old systems a fair shake?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Anyone but me get the impression that the OP isn't really giving his old systems a fair shake?
    It's fine, he can just create a Sell thread on here, I would be happy to take some of that stuff off his hands on the cheap. Assuming they're not mistreated goods.

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    It sounds kinda like he overwhelmed himself looking at his post history.

Emulation is so easy nowadays that you should only really go the retro console route if you actually enjoy it. If you don't mind the errors and sound issues common to a lot of emulators (but not all) either go that route, or the Wiiware/PSN/XBLA whatever route to enjoy your retro games. At the minimum of getting a half way decent picture for my consoles I ended up buying an older CRT TV and before I got really into this I would of never expected to do that again.

As many others have said its very unlikely that you happened to pick up a NES, SNES, Genesis and N64 all with major non-starting issues and that cleaning the games and the cartridge contacts in each system are your best bet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Not entirely on topic, but I wonder how today's consoles will fare in the future, given the same amount of time? Old NES units are bound to have pin issues. They're 25+ years old. I wonder how the average laser assembly is going to perform in that same amount of time? Christ, at least I can open an NES; getting a 360 open for the first time is like solving Lemarchand's Box ...

There are very few gamers and collectors that ONLY play real carts or ONLY play emulators. Sure, a few do, but the vast majority of them (us) operate somewhere in the middle of that sliding scale. If you want to buy some old games and emulate some old games, go for it. If you're tired of NES consoles being "on the blink" (literally) and just want to emulate those, do that. The bottom line is, this is YOUR hobby. There are no rules. Enjoy it the way YOU want to.

Rich, I think all of us have been there. All of us into retrogaming have at one point in time bitten off more than we could chew. All of us have ended up with "that" pile of games that need cleaning or consoles that don't work. We've all done it, and we've all been soured on the hobby because of it. There's not an Atari 5200 owner on the planet who hasn't cursed the day those joysticks were invented. There's not an NES gamer alive who hasn't inserted a recently acquired game, hit the power button, and stared at a blinking screen, wondering why we're all still doing this. I, personally, have to move 18 arcade cabinets out of my old home today and into a storage unit until I can figure out what to do with them. There are parts of this hobby that definitely suck.

Don't let it drive you away, man. Figure out the parts you like, pursue those, and screw what anybody else says. I spent way too many years trying to enjoy this hobby by other people's rules.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i'll be honest and say that i prefer playing the retro stuff on my xbox. I can run the games in 720p, apply filters to make them look better, save states (i just don't have the time to sit down and beat some games in one shot, save states allows me to do so)

however, what i also like is having the actual systems, having the actual carts with the boxes and manuals. I like looking at the stuff, even if i don't actually play the stuff on the actual hardware.

i've been buying games for nes, snes, genesis mostly for collection reasons. I have my personal lists for each system, listing the games that i want in my personal collection. Like i said, even if i don't necessarily play the games on the actual hardware, i'd still want them for collection purposes.

Ps1, N64, Ps2, Dreamcast, etc i play on the actual hardware since they are harder to emulate.

I got too caught up in the fact that "you must play on the original hardware" that it made me go away from the hobby.

as an example of one of my personal collection lists. here is my list for Genesis. Basically, i would be done collecting for genesis once i get all of these games. I shoot for CIB

Sega Genesis

Aladdin
    Altered Beast
    Beyond Oasis
    Boogerman
    Captain America And The Avengers
    Castlevania: Bloodlines
    Cool Spot
    Comix Zone
    Contra: Hard Corps
    Earthworm Jim
    Earthworm Jim II
    Ecco The Dolphin
    Ecco: Tides of Time
    ESWAT: City Under Siege
    Eternal Champions
    Golden Axe
    Golden Axe II
    Golden Axe III
    Gunstar Heroes
    Kid Chameleon
    Landstalker
    Lion King
    Mortal Kombat
    Michael Jackson's Moonwalker
    NBA Jam
    NHL 94
    Phantasy Star II
    Phantasy Star III
    Phantasy Star IV
    Ren and Stimpy
    Ristar
    Rocket Knight Adventures
    Shining In The Darkness
    Shining Force
    Shining Force II
    Sonic
    Sonic II
    Sonic III
    Sonic and Knuckles
    Sonic 3D
    Streets Of Rage
    Streets Of Rage 2
    Streets Of Rage 3
    Toe Jam and Earl
    Vectorman
    Vectorman 2
    World Series Baseball

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My PS3 is 11 months old and is already giving me major problems. My old cartridge based systems have never given me an issue. Plus you can buy NES systems for dirt cheap. I think I have like 7 of them just in case any break. I use my SNES system quite often and have never had a problem.

I've had some old games crap out on me (bit rot?), but not a common occurrence. Maybe you have just had a run of bad luck.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, whoever said cold is good, is off the mark. If it is cold, you will get condensation. Condensation can cause major problems. The pins get wet and can get gunked up. Plus, other problems.

I bet storing your stuff in the cold basement is causing all your problems. I highly doubt anyone would have that many systems all fail around the same time unless it was caused by something. Move your stuff to a room upstairs, wait a few days and clean all the games and then clean all your systems. If you dont know how to properly clean your system, just ask.