Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: PSA: GOG holiday sale on now, lots of $3 and $5 games [Joystiq]

  1. #1
    ServBot (Level 11) DP ServBot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cyberspace
    Posts
    3,492
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Lightbulb PSA: GOG holiday sale on now, lots of $3 and $5 games [Joystiq]

    Last week, we told you about GOG's upcoming Holiday Sale, forcing you to inhabit a dream of the future when you can buy old games cheaply. Now you can escape that reverie and feel the joy of $3 Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition in the real world, as the Holiday Sale has begun!

    You'll find games like The Witcher, Beyond Good & Evil, Psychonauts, and the Incredible Machine Mega Pack for $5 each; Freespace 2, Master of Orion 1 + 2, and Fallout for $3 each; or, if you feel like playing something from this year, The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings for $23.99.

    When you're browsing the deals page, be sure to hit the "show more deals" button at the bottom because, you see, there are so many more deals. In fact, almost everything in the catalog is half off until January 2. Activision games go back to regular price on December 26, and Codemasters and Piranha Bytes are skipping the sale.PSA: GOG holiday sale on now, lots of $3 and $5 games originally appeared on Joystiq on Mon, 12 Dec 2011 22:34:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.




    Permalink | Email this | Comments

    More...
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

  2. #2
    DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Kitsune Sniper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Calexico, USA
    Posts
    13,853
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

    Default

    Oh yeah, Empire Earth Gold is free until December 14, 10:59 GMT.

    http://www.gog.com/en/news/get_empir...d_edition_free
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

  3. #3
    Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ra Cailum
    Posts
    825
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

    Default

    Total Annilation was one of my favorite games back in the day and it drives me up the wall when people who are RTS fans have no idea what I'm talking about.

    I've been meaning to sign-up to GOG but how does it work? Does it use a Steam-like system to manage and download your games or do you just get a zip file with your game on it..or whatever other way they have their shop settup?

  4. #4
    Peach (Level 3) dgdgagdae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    682
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by substantial_snake View Post
    I've been meaning to sign-up to GOG but how does it work? Does it use a Steam-like system to manage and download your games or do you just get a zip file with your game on it..or whatever other way they have their shop settup?
    You download the install file and any extras, and you can archive them yourself. It's totally DRM free, and there's no requirement to run any kind of a client to run your games. They're also available to you anytime to redownload on a virtual bookshelf.

  5. #5
    Administrator

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3,270
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    243
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    30
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

    Default

    It's a little bit of a pain that you need to install anything from GOG with admin privileges but that probably has to do with making sure that any and every install will have significant privileges when it is game time. What's extra nice about GOG though is not only do you get to download (often a lot of) extras as .zip files, but you can also install the games using Wine under Linux and afterward can run the games using SCUMMVM, DOSBox, or Wine depending on which tech the game used back in the day.

  6. #6
    Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ra Cailum
    Posts
    825
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dgdgagdae View Post
    You download the install file and any extras, and you can archive them yourself. It's totally DRM free, and there's no requirement to run any kind of a client to run your games. They're also available to you anytime to redownload on a virtual bookshelf.
    Thanks, sounds pretty simple. This advert reminded me of Freespace as well, never played the second one but the first one was one of my favorite PC space sims/shooters.

  7. #7
    DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Kitsune Sniper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Calexico, USA
    Posts
    13,853
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    It's a little bit of a pain that you need to install anything from GOG with admin privileges but that probably has to do with making sure that any and every install will have significant privileges when it is game time. What's extra nice about GOG though is not only do you get to download (often a lot of) extras as .zip files, but you can also install the games using Wine under Linux and afterward can run the games using SCUMMVM, DOSBox, or Wine depending on which tech the game used back in the day.
    Another thing that should be mentioned is that some of the games (like Rayman) trip antivirus scanners quite often.

    While there is an optional downloader application, you can download stuff with a download manager instead if you want to. Some games have problems on Windows 7, so be sure to check the forums before buying anything.

    Also, this is a good way to get legal data files for open source ports... hint hint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

  8. #8
    Cherry (Level 1) Sysop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cyberspace
    Posts
    207
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    I've already got myself a shopping trolley overflowing with games from this sale.

  9. #9
    Great Puma (Level 12) c0ldb33r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,980
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Postal 2 Complete is only $5

    Purchased!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-21-2012, 03:00 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-16-2012, 10:50 PM
  3. Trade-N-Games annual Holiday sale 10% off games+ free ship
    By Trade-N-Games in forum Buying and Selling
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-28-2010, 04:56 PM
  4. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-14-2007, 11:14 AM
  5. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-17-2005, 06:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •