Thread: Let Sony sell you on the PlayStation Vita [Joystiq]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lightbulb Let Sony sell you on the PlayStation Vita [Joystiq]

We've talked about Sony's new handheld plenty, but we're not a pair of slickly-produced CG commercials now, are we? If anybody's going to give you the straight dope on the PlayStation Vita, it's surely the good people at Sony.Continue reading Let Sony sell you on the PlayStation Vita

Let Sony sell you on the PlayStation Vita originally appeared on Joystiq on Tue, 13 Dec 2011 01:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Provided I can scrape up $250 plus $40 for Uncharted, I'm in, no need to be "sold".
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

And for the love of Kaz Hirai, get that man a Vita memory card!

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Already Sold. :P

Gravity Daze and Uncharted are the two games I will probably pick up at launch. I am also interested in the Vita installment of Killzone but I haven't see anything about it since the Vita's big reveal trailer this summer.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    Provided I can scrape up $250 plus $40 for Uncharted, I'm in, no need to be "sold".
    You're gonna need another $30-$40 for the mandatory memory card to play Uncharted. Having said that, I am still in for a preorder for now.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Been sold on it since it was the NGP. Since its showing, I've been interested in Uncharted for sure. Gameplay looks pretty much the exact same as the other Uncharted games, as well as the addition of touch screen support.

There aren't any other launch titles that are "must have" for me, but I'll be picking up Little Big Planet and Wipeout as two for sure titles once a price drop hits. Kind of interested in Gravity Rush and Little Deviants but I'll have to see more of them.

Not sure of a release date, but also interested in picking up Ruin. Like Motorstorm RC(launch title) it's also a dual release with the PS3 version and Vita version in the same packaging. Transfarring.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Jaruff

I'll be sold on one when they hit $100. Hell, I've never owned a PSP unless you count the ones I flipped.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Sony's clarification that you can use multiple PSN accounts on this helps its case (It's 1 PSN account per memory card, not per system). I'll be able to keep my main account on my Vita and eventually pick up a cheap smaller memory to occasionally switch around netween my Euro account and alternate US account (Which thanks to Sony's problems a while back has several free PSP games tied to it now).

Not the perfect solution (How the PS3 handles it would've been ideal), but it's much more bearable for people with multiple PSN accounts that each have games on them than the hassle people were envisioning when we first heard it was limited to 1 PSN account. I won't have to just ignore the couple Euro PSP games and those two free PSP games now like I was thinking I'd have to.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 12-13-2011 at 02:35 PM.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Yeeup. I'm in, very likely at launch.

Not sure what games in the launch lineup I'll be buying, but a system and a memory card around the $40 mark for sure.

I've got scads of PSP, PSOne and Minis stuff on the network that I can download and play to keep me busy until prices come down a bit on the big memory cards. I'll re-download/delete as needed on a small to mid range card in the meantime.

Since I'm really used to traveling with just the PSP Go system these days, I think that a majority of my purchases will be on-PSN with this system, and only in the case of physical software with bonus/high-end physical content will I buy Vita game carts at brick/mortar.

This is one of the first generational advances where buying a lot of stuff online in the previous gen is a pay-off for day one content on a new system.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 12-13-2011 at 02:51 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll probably get this thing sometime after launch? The $250 price tag seems fair to me, I would rather spend the extra money on a Sony memory card to as I've had reliability issues with generic memory cards in the past.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Sony's clarification that you can use multiple PSN accounts on this helps its case (It's 1 PSN account per memory card, not per system). I'll be able to keep my main account on my Vita and eventually pick up a cheap smaller memory to occasionally switch around netween my Euro account and alternate US account (Which thanks to Sony's problems a while back has several free PSP games tied to it now).

Not the perfect solution (How the PS3 handles it would've been ideal), but it's much more bearable for people with multiple PSN accounts that each have games on them than the hassle people were envisioning when we first heard it was limited to 1 PSN account. I won't have to just ignore the couple Euro PSP games and those two free PSP games now like I was thinking I'd have to.
    The reason for tying the accounts to a card is more than likely a way to stop game sharing or atleast make money off of game sharing. If you're using a single card and switching accounts, you'll need to format the system with that card in there. That's fine if you have nothing on there, but what happens when you download everything and want to go back to your account? By formatting the card you lose everything on the card.

People could always download the games, transfer to their PC, then transfer back to the card once it's formatted again to get around this, but they'd have to do this every time they want to download something new. Then on top of that they'd have to transfer and then retransfer their own stuff or redownload it again. Too much hassle, so people will more than likely just buy another card.

It'll either reduce the amount of game sharing or make them money on other cards. Either way, Sony wins.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

With only two activations per piece of content, I doubt Sony's too worried about gamesharing. The PSP was limited to 1 account per system and that came out nearly 2 years before the PS3 was released where game sharing seemed to take off (And was even encouraged early on by Sony).

Edit - It's certainly not an attempt to stop gamesharing since the limitation is 1 account per card, it's not 1 card per account. There's nothing stopping people from using that second activation they get under Sony's new rules on another Vita.

Now the change from 5 activations to 2 is certainly an attempt to curtail gamesharing now that it has fallen out of favor at Sony.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 12-14-2011 at 05:19 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Junkyrdsalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Junkyrdsalesman

The Vita is looking extremely promising at this point. I probably won't pick one up at launch because i don't want to be one of the guinea pigs, but there are already plenty of titles announced that i want to play. Also the 'special' memory card that the vita takes are extremely overpriced

Insert Coin (Level 0) nickerous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection is a must buy for me, but nothing else sounds very exciting right now. I'll probably wait until next Christmas to see what kind of bundles Sony throws together.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

I owned all of the psp systems except the go. nice hardware but never enough games and the hardware was spendy. Honestly at this point I'd rather have and am saving for a 3DS (to play older DS and new 3ds games) the vita can wait till the price is lower and it has more than a handful of games to play

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by otaku View Post
    I owned all of the psp systems except the go. nice hardware but never enough games and the hardware was spendy. Honestly at this point I'd rather have and am saving for a 3DS (to play older DS and new 3ds games) the vita can wait till the price is lower and it has more than a handful of games to play
    If you're lacking on good games to play for the PSP, even the most recent games are extremely cheap now. I have over 70 games, most of them I enjoy, so the system definitely isn't lacking on high quality titles.

Trails in the Sky is only $12 on Amazon, Premium version $17. Tactics Ogre is $10. Ys Oath in Felghana Premium for $15. Regular version for $19.99 and both are sold by Amazon.

But yeah. If there's any time to start collecting for the PSP it's now. The system has so many great games and while it's unfortunate they didn't sell well, anyone looking to build up their library can do so for cheap.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 12-16-2011 at 04:38 AM.