Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Atari Jaguar or Sega Saturn

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The only thing I dislike about the Jaguar controller is the buttons. I don't like their design or how they're laid out.

The rest of it always felt just fine to me. Their controllers have a nice feel to them and the d-pad design works well.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 12-17-2011 at 07:34 PM.

GET READY Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by goatdan View Post
    I have never understood the great amount of dislike for the Jaguar controller. Yeah, it has the number pad, but it isn't in the way or something if you don't need it, and a few games took advantage of it in a really good way. The actual d-pad and buttons are laid out in a very similar way to most modern console controllers, and the size of the controller is nearly the exact same width-wise as the N64, Playstation, or -- believe it or not -- Saturn.

I've alwayas found the Jaguar to be one of the most comfortable controllers, personally.

Yeah, but if you're using that standard, the Jaguar accepts mainly cartridges for 80%+ of it's library, and the cartridge slots have no issues. The CD can be flaky, but there are seriously like 10 games for it, and with only maybe two exceptions, you're really not missing anything.

I think you could say wider library for sure, but as for which one is more traditional, the Jaguar was actually a cartridge machine, which to me makes it more "traditional." Not saying you're wrong about the game selection or game quality or anything like that, just that I wouldn't argue that the Jaguar is really out there -- it's different, but it isn't *that* different.
    Admittedly, I never truly owned an Atari Jaguar, but my complaints come from a friend's Jaguar when I had visited some time ago. Granted, it was only one time, but I had a fair amount of time on the system playing Rayman. You do make many valid points, goatdan, and I respect that, but I'd still recommend he choose the Saturn, if not only for it's wider selection of different titles.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TimTendo View Post
    Admittedly, I never truly owned an Atari Jaguar, but my complaints come from a friend's Jaguar when I had visited some time ago. Granted, it was only one time, but I had a fair amount of time on the system playing Rayman. You do make many valid points, goatdan, and I respect that, but I'd still recommend he choose the Saturn, if not only for it's wider selection of different titles.
    Heh, as would I, honestly -- it might be one of those things though that it would be best if possible to try them both or make a list of the games you wanted. 99% of the sane world should pick the Saturn every time. 1% of the world is like me and really likes how a significant amount of Jaguar games play, while the majority of the Saturn library I don't like.

I don't expect many people will agree with that, but I would say don't knock the controllers until you've tried playing a game that suits them perfectly -- Iron Soldier comes to mind, which is one of the Jaguar's true crown jewels, too.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    You really can't recommend a system based on games the guy can't play without modding it, and/or burning them to a CD.

Rick, you sound like you'd be better off just playing them on a PC emulator. SSF and Satourne emu's work well from a CD-drive. To run them from an ISO on the harddrive though you have to use a program that "fakes" the CD drive, which is a pain.

As for Saturn/PS1 crossovers, there are quite a few. Most of the 3rd party games on Saturn were also released on PS1 with insignificant differences. SEGA wound up getting Expert Software to distribute several popular SEGA developed Saturn games onto PC back then. Daytona USA, Sonic R, Virtua Fighter 2, Virtua Cop, etc. I know because back then I wound up buying several of those, because I wanted to play them and didn't want to buy a Saturn.
    My experience with Saturn emulators and emulators in general is that they suck major ass. I hate them with a passion. And all the Saturn emulators lag on my i3 core laptop PC. I'm more of a flashcart guy when it comes to the other classic consoles. It's so much better and more accurate and they can be played directly on a TV and footage can be recorded the normal way.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo

Regarding the Jag controller, I don't mind the width or the Intellevision-esque number pad, but the d-pad itself always seemed a bit too stiff to me. Also, the pro controller was a definite improvement over the stock pad, though if you're looking to get a Jag setup like the OP is/was, it's certainly another added expense.
    Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one. - Thomas Paine

America can always be counted on to do the right thing after they have exhausted all other possibilities. - Winston Churchill

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You really can't recommend a system based on games the guy can't play without modding it, and/or burning them to a CD.
    I can play all of those games legitly on my US Saturn, as can anyone else. Thats why they made import convertors like my Action Replay Plus 4 in 1, to play imports on any region Saturn legally. They only cost around $20-30 and will dramatically increase the Saturn's library of good games.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Bloodreign75

PAR 4 in 1 cart makes import playing quite easy, no modding needed.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodreign View Post
    PAR 4 in 1 cart makes import playing quite easy, no modding needed.
    I have learned that Playstation and Saturn mods do the opposite.

Playstation modchips allow you to play Japanese games, but not burned games.

Saturn modchips allow you to play burned games, but not Japanese games.

To play genuine Japanese games on Saturn instead of a burned region switched copy you need the RAM/cheat code cart. To play burned games on Playstation you need a swap disc like PSX-change 2 and guess what that also has cheat code input.

They are so much alike, yet they are exact opposites.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

LimitedEditionMuseum,

I have put videos (6 volumes) on Youtube, which have Saturn game footage of the best games I have played, in the 15 years I've owned the system.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/gameofyou1/videos

These were made a long time ago, so the quality isn't the highest, but you can get an idea of the kinds of games available.
    Sega Saturn USB DataLink - www.GamingEnterprisesInc.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

Quote Originally Posted by Kevincal View Post
    It's obvious the Saturn has a shit ton more games for it. But some crazy people like myself prefer the Jag over Saturn for nostalgic reasons…
    I am one of those crazy people...
    I LOVE the Jaguar... it offers a gaming experience that I just do not get from any other console… the games just have a uniqueness to them and many folks cannot appreciate that… I tire of all this 'hate' towards the controller… just the choir of avgn sheep.. most whom have never handled the controller and even actually played a Jaguar game…
    I always wonder why Jaguar games and console are so damn expensive if the Jag is such a piece of shite… gotta love the local flea market selling a Jaguar console with WMCJ and team tap for $225!!

but I can also be true and not a fan boi…
    for the op, I would suggest the Saturn, as it does offer more games and more of the typical cookie cutter fanfare of the era, as well as some nice games overall! also the ease and accessibility to play many great and exclusive import games make Saturn a great choice to jump into!

and I am a huge lover of the Sega Saturn! but I also enjoy and appreciate the uniqueness of the Jaguar and it is a very fine console... avgn sheep be damned
    Last edited by TurboGenesis; 12-18-2011 at 01:14 PM. Reason: spellings

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    I can play all of those games legitly on my US Saturn, as can anyone else. That's why they made import convertors like my Action Replay Plus 4 in 1, to play imports on any region Saturn legally. They only cost around $20-30 and will dramatically increase the Saturn's library of good games.
    I wasn't aware of that, thanks for educating me on that. That said, Japanese Saturn games are 5 or 6 times more expensive than the average US release at this time.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wasn't aware of that, thanks for educating me on that. That said, Japanese Saturn games are 5 or 6 times more expensive than the average US release at this time.
    Not really true. Although, there's a lot of variation. As far as the upper tier of expensive games, Japanese releases dominate that category. But for everything else, Japanese releases are cheaper on average. US games have been creeping up in value, including common stuff, while that hasn't really happened for Japanese games, barring a few.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Saturn it's a no brainer with games such as radiant silvergun,saturn bomberman,guardian heroes and dragon force etc.