Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    Most people don't care about the differences in battery types so it's a bit unfair to treat this family like they're stupider than everyone else.
    From TFA:

The manual warns against using lithium batteries, but Fuson says the warning is hard to find and doesn't spell out the possible consequences for using lithium batteries.
    Waaah. They are indeed stupider than everyone else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    This was the most amusing part of the article:
    Even though it TECHNICALLY was the fault of the user for not reading the manual Nintendo should of eplaced the unit for free. It seems like a few hundred dollars is a small price to pay to avoid negative media exposue. There will be quite a few people that point out this discounted price decision and chalk it up to greed even though Nintendo is in their legal right to not offer to replace the system.
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

So what kind of Batteries does discharge fast??

Got any pic for example

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania View Post
    So what kind of Batteries does discharge fast??

Got any pic for example
    Mainly just lithium. Any battery could explode if overheated(throw in a fire, try to charge a non-rechargeable) but most types don't if you just leave them in a Wii Remote.

They look just like regular AA or AAA batteries but say "lithium" on them...usually in fairly big print. They are also less common and a lot more expensive than regular AA's. If you have any around the house they probably came with a digital camera or something.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    Does the Wii remote feed back into the battery or something?

And who uses AA lithium cells? Aren't those for cameras and stuff? I'm pretty sure that most rechargeable packs for Wiimotes are NiMH. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...
    Anyone can use AA lithiums?

They're advertised for cameras due to how much juice they can push out and how much more they can hold compared to other battery technologies.

That said some electronics flat out aren't designed to handle lithiums which easily catch fire under the wrong circumstances. I'd wager the Wii-mote is one of them. Don't be stupid, heed the warnings.
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

This is really just a case of battery ignorance...which many of us are guilty of. I mean, how many times have you seen people on this site refer to battery acid leaking out of their alkaline batteries.
    That's something you can prevent? I mean, I know using/storing a battery improperly can make it more likely to leak, but sometimes it seems like the luck of the draw too. I've even had it happen with batteries that weren't that old.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    That's something you can prevent? I mean, I know using/storing a battery improperly can make it more likely to leak, but sometimes it seems like the luck of the draw too. I've even had it happen with batteries that weren't that old.
    About the only way to prevent it is by not keeping batteries in devices for a long time while not in use. It generally happens because the metal case of the battery is also one of the electrodes, when the battery dies it continues to "eat" through the metal and leak through the paper coating. Also, if the batteries get hot it might speed up the reaction.

My point though, was that alkaline batteries can't leak acid because they use an alkali(the opposite of acid)...hence the name. Yet people will state to clean up the leaking "acid" with an alkali/base such as baking soda to neutralize it. But this doesn't really have anything to do with the topic at hand...just pointing out a general ignorance toward batteries, which is something more than just this lady is guilty of.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm surprised that this is even a news story. It's not like her house was knocked off it's foundation.
    No, but HAY LOOKIT THIS PERSON'S HOUSEHOLD ELECTRONICS A SPLODED is an excellent way to get people's attention – and a news story that does so is in many ways a desirable one for the people publishing the news.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

ok this ia totally a slow news day make a huge story out of nothing type of thing.
    plus the "concerned" parent was wearing so much makeup its unreal i (OMGWTFBB I IS ON THE KNEWS) i am thinkin its staged
    and also.....duh

and i mean come on common sense here why are you jamming lithium batterys in any thing willy nilly any way, most people dont know what they are doing so they need to stop and think this is a good idea before pushing the blame onto something else

lithium batteries in general have problems in some devices or in certian circuimstances, weither its rechargable or not.

sony got sued for lithium ion batterys catching fire (hmm) HP has tons of recalls for the same type of thing. Lithium polymer batterys are about as unstable ad nitro....guess what? most of the cheepo portable dvd players use a HUGE lithium polymer battery in them as well. dont leave that in a hot car or you wont have a car any more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    ok this ia totally a slow news day make a huge story out of nothing type of thing.
    Sure it ended harmless but it could have ended up much worse had a child been actually using it when it blew up. Then you would of had the entire media covering this story, lead by those idiots at Fox News. I could see the Fox News headline now: " Video Games Are a Ticking Time Bomb"
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I never leave batteries in my wii remote anyway, I find it runs them down even when not in use, compared to my 360 controller where it doesn't seem to matter. I don't use lithium though, lol, NiMH all the way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Milf!