Thread: Will the Xbox live port of Sonic CD renew interest in the original hardware?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Will the Xbox live port of Sonic CD renew interest in the original hardware?

Do you think that Sega CD sales will pickup now that the port has been released? I would love for the platform to get some much needed attention from retro collectors; I think of it as the first mainstream CD console. I am very happy this port came about just so the game will not be forgotten.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't see why not. Quick Time Events are all the rage today anyway. Sega CD was WAY ahead of its time, heh.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DeadlyMaple
    PSN
    DeadlyMaple
    Steam
    some.nerd

Has the Xbox Live ports of Guardian Heroes, Sonic 2 (), or Crazy Taxi spurred interest in any of their respective consoles?

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually think it'll have the opposite effect. Though other great titles exist, people think mainly of Sonic CD when they think of Sega CD. Once that title is readily available (to PSN, the Apple Store, and PC digital as well, not JUST Xbox Live BTW), people will have that much less of a reason to hunt down the original hardware. Look at what the numerous Genesis Sonic releases along Saturn, Dreamcast, PS2, GameCube, Xbox, PC, PS3, Wii, and Xbox 360 have done for interest in Genesis titles.

We should be hoping for a renewed publisher interest in Sega CD though. Would be nice for this to lead to ports of Snatcher, Sol-Feace, Shining Force CD, and other good SCD titles.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will never collect for any disk-based system.

You can easily replace batteries or even capacitors, but there's no coming back from disk rot, nor is there any escaping it.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Actually, the ports dunna stop there either! There is also an Android port and soon a Windows Phone 7 port. And during this launch period, both the Android and iOS versions of the game are a paltry $1.99. So if you want SONIC CD on either platform now is the time. No word on what the WP7 version will cost or when it'll be released, but if it doesn't have the promotional price of $2 then it'll be $4.99.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    I actually think it'll have the opposite effect. Though other great titles exist, people think mainly of Sonic CD when they think of Sega CD. Once that title is readily available (to PSN, the Apple Store, and PC digital as well, not JUST Xbox Live BTW), people will have that much less of a reason to hunt down the original hardware. Look at what the numerous Genesis Sonic releases along Saturn, Dreamcast, PS2, GameCube, Xbox, PC, PS3, Wii, and Xbox 360 have done for interest in Genesis titles.

We should be hoping for a renewed publisher interest in Sega CD though. Would be nice for this to lead to ports of Snatcher, Sol-Feace, Shining Force CD, and other good SCD titles.
    I was hoping publisher interest in the form of commercial quality homebrew like Genesis has started to get.

Then again even with no copy protection, the most heinous of Chinese bootleggers want NOTHING to do with Sega CD. Let alone actual new games made.
    Lum fan.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Probably not. I have a soft spot for the Sega CD and it does have some very cool titles if you dig, but I don't know if that will be readily apparent to newbies. People who already seriously have the collecting bug would probably take interest regardless, but if you're only lukewarm on collecting retro games, then you'll probably be wondering where the worthwhile games beyond Sonic CD are. Those people probably won't scratch the surface beyond all the FMV games, so they'll decide not to bother. Or if they get some recommendations, like, say, Snatcher, the Lunar games, Popful Mail, Shining Force CD, etc., they'll probably think it's too expensive to bother. There are good, cheap games, but they're not talked about nearly as much.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

It's not like the system needs to have sales pick up, any decent game already sells for a good amount if complete and in good shape. Even the systems themselves aren't cheap anymore, I used to find them for under $20 but not anymore.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    I was hoping publisher interest in the form of commercial quality homebrew like Genesis has started to get.

Then again even with no copy protection, the most heinous of Chinese bootleggers want NOTHING to do with Sega CD. Let alone actual new games made.
    The only bootleg Sega CD game I know of is the hack Sonic Megamix and that's a demo version. The version currently being worked on seems so different that I would almost consider it a different hack altogether. They've changed quite a few level designs and aren't going to release any more demos until they are done. They are adding a lot to this one.

I already thought the demo version surpassed other classic Sonic games.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good Deal Games put out several Sega CD titles after the fact:

http://www.gooddealgames.com/Publishing_SegaCD.html

I'm not saying they're Popful Mail quality, but the ones I've played aren't bad.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

I'll second the good deal games mention. I look forward to getting a copy on my android phone for some mobile gaming goodness

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Sonic CD is out on Android and iOS now, getting some great reviews.

Checkitoutcheckitoutcheckitoutcheckitout!
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I never got to play Sonic CD until several years ago via emulation. Was really impressed, it was a great game. As for the original hardware? Well, I liked some of the SEGA CD games, but most are fairly forgettable. Often they offer little change to the Genesis releases. I wound up getting a torrent for all CD games, and if I ever feel like it, play that. My biggest beef with trying to collect the games is that they are too dang big.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love those longboxes. Their ridiculous size is second in my eyes only to the Mega-LD games, which are essentially just really big SegaCD games anyway.