Thread: What computer to use for Dos/Win98 Games

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What computer to use for Dos/Win98 Games

I was recently given a lot of PCs and wanted to make one of them available for classic gaming. My options are:

1. Use current gaming PC running Windows 7 with Dosbox. (Dual 3.6 Xeon, 1TB HD, 8GB)

2. Install Windows 98SE on Laptop. (Gateway Solo 9550, P3 1Ghz, 60GB HD 512MB)

3. Install Windows 98SE on Old PC (Gateway Profile 1, AMD K6-2 10GB HD, 256MB)

I'm leaning towards using option 3 but would like opinions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It depends entirely on what exactly you want to run. Yes, one option might be compatible with a wider range of games than another, but if you're never going to run those games that require better compatibility, there's no point and it really would be most sensible to stick with DOSBox.

If you want to run games that require a powerful computer, then the laptop is the obvious choice. That is, assuming that you can find Win98 drivers for the laptop hardware. This page says it uses the NVIDIA Geforce 2 GO chipset, which I suppose isn't terrible; the most demanding 3D games would be out of the question, though.

If you don't require that kind of power, then the old PC would be a better choice, particularly because you could throw in some older hardware like a Voodoo2 for games that require it.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

J'orfeaux: I have around 250+ games from 1990-2001 that I want to run.

Examples would include:

Thief
    Thief 2
    Mechwarrior 2
    Scumm Games (Sam & Max, DOTT etc)
    Adventure Games (King's Quest Space Quest etc)
    Wing Commander Series (Privateer, Wing Commander Kilrathi Saga
    Ultima Series
    Doom Series
    Crusader Series
    Syndicate Series
    Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale Series
    Master of Magic
    Starcraft/Warcraft Series
    Stonekeep
    Strike Commander
    Quake 1-3
    System Shock Series
    Realms of Haunting
    Descent Series

The Gateway Profile 1 is an all-in-one PC. I believe it has an onboard ATI Rage 3D
    Last edited by cisco678; 12-16-2011 at 09:18 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

You can run some of those in ScummVM, which is a great choice. Most of the others will run just fine in DOSBox. A lot of the titles you listed are for sale on GOG, and they're packaged with DOSBox.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dgdgagdae: GOG is a great website, but I still own the original CDS/floppiy disks. Dosbox + ScummVM sounds like a good idea.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I would go with option 3.

My own old PC is a AMD K6 at 500mhz, with 128MB of RAM, Soundblaster 16 and a Voodoo 3. I've thought of giving it more RAM and maybe a better soundcard, but haven't ever seen a point--with the current configuration it can run just about any Windows 95/98 game I throw at it. The original Half-Life makes it chug if I blast the graphics though.

If you only plan to run Windows games on it, anything that has Win98 drivers will do. But if you plan to run DOS games as well, you want to make sure your sound card plugs into an ISA slot, not a PCI slot (you can make DOS games work with PCI but it requires so many extra hoops to jump through). You also might wanna try to find an optical mouse that plugs into old-fashioned serial ports... yes they exist, I have one, and its awesome for making your hero poke an Antwerp.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

A lot of those games can probably be persuaded to run under Windows 7.

Quote Originally Posted by cisco678 View Post
    I believe it has an onboard ATI Rage 3D
    That is a painfully limited card as far as Windows games go.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    But if you plan to run DOS games as well, you want to make sure your sound card plugs into an ISA slot, not a PCI slot (you can make DOS games work with PCI but it requires so many extra hoops to jump through).
    Extra hoops? The only problem with PCI cards is that the driver requires expanded memory. I'd actually say that ISA cards require extra hoops, what with the need to keep Creative's PnP configuration manager set up properly. Plus, the PCI cards ought to give better signal quality, but it might be hard to notice that kind of thing.

You also might wanna try to find an optical mouse that plugs into old-fashioned serial ports... yes they exist, I have one, and its awesome for making your hero poke an Antwerp.
    There's really no harm in using a PS/2 mouse.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

If you want any 3D gaming, you'll want the AMD with a Voodoo1 or 2.

SB16 sound card and you're set.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by J'orfeaux View Post
    Extra hoops? The only problem with PCI cards is that the driver requires expanded memory. I'd actually say that ISA cards require extra hoops, what with the need to keep Creative's PnP configuration manager set up properly. Plus, the PCI cards ought to give better signal quality, but it might be hard to notice that kind of thing.
    I'm not sure where you're getting that ISA requires extra hoops... in my experience, all you have to do is make sure that the settings are in the autoexec.bat and you're good to go. CTCM is optional, but recommended to control volume.

There's really no harm in using a PS/2 mouse.
    *hits self* That's right. I keep forgetting that PS/2 has been around for awhile (my own computer doesn't have ps/2 ports. If it did I would gladly use that)

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Will a PS/2 mouse support all if not most Dos games? I just got a optical PS/2 mouse from a thrift and really like it and was surprised to see it since they don't seem that common at all. I am going to use it on a IBM PS/1. Will it have any incompatibility issues as opposed to using a serial mouse?

Thanks
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

None that I've ever heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    *hits self* That's right. I keep forgetting that PS/2 has been around for awhile (my own computer doesn't have ps/2 ports. If it did I would gladly use that)
    Is there perhaps a header for such a connector on the motherboard somewhere?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Serial and PS/2 should work fine with DOS as long as you load a mouse driver (I recommend Cutemouse which takes very little memory). Only USB mice have problems in DOS.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I run a number of DOS based games on old computers and this is my experince.

DOSBox is great but it can make some games chug depending on your hardware, it may slow down depending on what is going on in the background and certain keys may bring up windows programs.

Personally I run everything on their own computers for DOS.

Get a machine that does have PS2 ports for mouse and keyboard, for most DOS games the low hundred Mhz is fine.
    Use a CRT monitor.
    If the game needs pure dos then I suggest either MS-DOS 6.22 or FreedDOS, both have memory options to get the most memory from the system. Else Windows 98SE is a good alternative.
    PCI soundcards can be easier to set up, BUT only if they have DOS drivers the early Creative Soundblaster PCI cards tend to have these but later ones do not and may not work on DOS at all. An ISA soundcard may need some setting up but it is not too hard.
    As recommended use cutemouse for the mouse driver it is tiny.
    Most CD-ROM can support DOS easily, although drivers may be harder to find but Windows will have most of them. Alternatively find cracked or NOCD patches for games.
    If using DOS then you'll get very used to editing the CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT files and remembering switch settings for HIMEM.SYS
    However once you have everything perfect then it does feel more nostalgic and better then playing the game on a moderrn PC with it's soulless LCD display.