Thread: Double Positive Coin Cell Holder For Sega CD?

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Double Positive Coin Cell Holder For Sega CD?

Well I've started replacement projects with any console that has a back up battery for save game or a clock. Pretty much I want to put in coin cell holders so that when the battery dies I can easily plop it out and put in a fresh one.

So I thought why not start with the Sega CD since the battery has already exploded. I wanna replace it with a 20mm ML2032 coin cell holder but I can't seem to find any that have double positive terminals that are spaced 12mm apart. Any one know where I could get one?
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alec006 View Post
    Well I've started replacement projects with any console that has a back up battery for save game or a clock. Pretty much I want to put in coin cell holders so that when the battery dies I can easily plop it out and put in a fresh one.

So I thought why not start with the Sega CD since the battery has already exploded. I wanna replace it with a 20mm ML2032 coin cell holder but I can't seem to find any that have double positive terminals that are spaced 12mm apart. Any one know where I could get one?
    You could also use a surface mount holder and use a short bare wire as a strap over one of the solder tabs. I have had to improvise a lot when fixing Sega CDs since a compatible part is never available.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tokimemofan View Post
    You could also use a surface mount holder and use a short bare wire as a strap over one of the solder tabs. I have had to improvise a lot when fixing Sega CDs since a compatible part is never available.
    Sounds about right, looks like I'll have to be a bit creative with this one.

I have a question thou, would it hurt to do a larger battery size like a ML2430 or ML2450 since they technically have a larger capacity and last longer. I'm just wondering since it's DC voltage would the system only take the mA it needs rather the 3.0mA a 2450 can provide?

Good thing is I think every system after this will be much easier to replace with common coin cell holders.
    Last edited by alec006; 12-17-2011 at 10:07 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It should be fine, just be careful as some new rechargeable coin batteries are rated at 3.6v not the 3.0v as per the norm. I came across this problem when I was finding good replaceable, rechargeable coin batteries for the Dreamcast.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Stick with the original size. My Sega CDs both last >6 months without being plugged in and one lasted >1.5 years. I have never seen one die. You could go to a local computer repair shop and ask them for a broken motherboard. The most common size by a mile for that is XX2032

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by omp! View Post
    It should be fine, just be careful as some new rechargeable coin batteries are rated at 3.6v not the 3.0v as per the norm. I came across this problem when I was finding good replaceable, rechargeable coin batteries for the Dreamcast.
    Really? I actually found the Dreamcast is going to be easier since all you have to do is install a vertical 2032 holder and find a 3.0v ML2032 battery.

What's funny is an old baby AT motherboard I have uses a 3.6V 60mA NiCd battery. I'm going to replace it with a coin cell holder and a 3.6v Lithium Ion Rechargable 40mA battery which should last a bit longer and be easier to replace in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokimemofan View Post
    Stick with the original size. My Sega CDs both last >6 months without being plugged in and one lasted >1.5 years. I have never seen one die. You could go to a local computer repair shop and ask them for a broken motherboard. The most common size by a mile for that is XX2032
    I thought about that since the 2430s are huge and it would look funny on the board. Not to mention I keep my Sega CD plugged in so discharge shouldn't be a problem at all and the life of that battery should give me another 10-15 years without having to worry about changing it again.

Thanks for the help guys!
    Last edited by alec006; 12-19-2011 at 05:12 PM.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know for a fact they last a long time without being plugged in since my saves were still there on my model 1 after I had to do a surface mount IC repair. In the process it remained unplugged for at least a year probably longer. It also had the original battery so consider that the absolute minimum. The Dreamcast batteries are larger and last about a month because they are used to power a clock rather than a tiny SRAM circuit. Sega probably used a rechargeable to avoid having a battery cover like in the Saturn, which tend to last a bit more than a year

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I change the Sega CD rechargeables out for ML2032 units with the same tab spacing. It's a decent boost in capacity over the stock 2016 and they're only slightly taller, so there aren't any issues with shorting out on nearby components.
    Last edited by FABombjoy; 12-22-2011 at 11:42 AM.
    Console5.com - Console parts, kits, games and more. [shop] [wiki] [RSS] [f] [t]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    I change the Sega CD rechargeables out for BR2032 units with the same tab spacing. It's a decent boost in capacity over the stock 2016 and they're only slightly taller, so there aren't any issues with shorting out on nearby components.
    Aren't BR2032's the same as CR2032's only with a carbon monofluoride electrode instead of a manganese dioxide electrode and a slightly different voltage and capacity? I ask because I don't wanna try and recharge something that's not rechargeable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alec006 View Post
    Aren't BR2032's the same as CR2032's only with a carbon monofluoride electrode instead of a manganese dioxide electrode and a slightly different voltage and capacity? I ask because I don't wanna try and recharge something that's not rechargeable.
    That is correct. And neither type is rechargeable.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good catch, all these damn two-letter prefixes start to blend together after a while. Original post edited - ML2032 not BR. Of course there are a few prefixes to indicate rechargeable types, depending on manufacturer.
    Console5.com - Console parts, kits, games and more. [shop] [wiki] [RSS] [f] [t]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    raymondlyd
    PSN
    soniccd

whip the battery holder out of a broken saturn.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by raylydiard View Post
    whip the battery holder out of a broken saturn.
    Really, I'll have to check that out thanks!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    none

This is good cell as you telling about this cell but i am heard first time about this cell but it may be dangerous four your board because this si positive from the both sides and have no negetive option in this so i thought may be this is may a source of sparking or dead to your board so try to use this carefully anyways not bad idea this si .... Learn more about IT support
    Last edited by Anderson; 09-20-2014 at 12:59 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anderson View Post
    This is good cell as you telling about this cell but i am heard first time about this cell but it may be dangerous four your board because this si positive from the both sides and have no negetive option in this so i thought may be this is may a source of sparking or dead to your board so try to use this carefully anyways not bad idea this si ....
    And you bumped this old thread because?
    Quote Originally Posted by starsoldier1 View Post
    GUY WAS SUPPOSE TO PLAYABLE IN THE GAME
    My collection