Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hardly any good games for kids. All the best games are Mature rated

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    I just wish developers would program options in the game where you can play the game in "kids" mode or something like that.
    Doesn't Brutal Legend have an option like that in the beginning of the game? As does Duke Nukem 3D in the settings?

Also, try Costume Quest and the Telltale Games downloadable titles.

Captain America: Super Soldier, Thor: God of Thunder, and Shinobi all seem like good choices too. I got those from the ESRB Web site. And why not check the ESRB site for T and E10+ games so you can learn what's out there within their appropriate range? Here's a link.

Heck, if you want FPS, try playing the original Tribes game. It is Windows-based, but it is freeware these days. Set up a LAN party with your kids!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Start 'em off with the NES and as many Disney Capcom-developed platformers as you can find!
    Actually, my kids did start off with all the retro games. They played a bunch of Super Nintendo and Genesis games. We also played Saturn and PS1 games. However, once they got their taste of Halo 3, and Halo: ODST and Halo Reach, they basically would only play the Halo games.

They see me playing all kinds of cool games like Fallout 3, Bioshock, etc, etc, but as much as I'd love them to enjoy those games too, the content is just a bit too harsh for their current ages. One of my sons is 11 years old, and I can tell that when he's about 13 or 14 he'll be able to handle things appropriately. The younger one right now is only 8, and he always wants to play what his brother is playing.

When they go over to my Sister-in-Law's house, they are allowed to play Call of Duty. That's the only time my wife will let them play games like Black Ops and MW3. They are only allowed to play the online games, not the story missions.

Anywho, recently the 11 year old wanted to play the GameCube again. He's been playing Mario Kart Double Dash with his brother. They played the heck out of that game a few years back. So they started playing that again, but I'm sure they'll be right back to Halo before long.

For Xmas, I got my 8 year old Enslaved for the Xbox 360. I played that game briefly, and I remember it being a cool game, and I knew it was rated T for Teen. I know there are some other decent Teen rated games that I should look into.
    Last edited by WCP; 12-20-2011 at 05:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never quite understood this argument. Only 6% of games are M-rated (over the past few years) and M-rated games account for something like 15% of the overall traditional market. You and your kids are tough critics if you can barely find anything redeemable in that 94%. A vast majority of my games AREN'T M-rated, and I'm 32.

The average age of a person who plays games today is 37 (in North America), so I don't see the need for devs to offer gore and language filters for games that aren't intended for kids anyway.
    Last edited by RCM; 12-20-2011 at 06:58 PM.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Insert Coin (Level 0) nothingisttrue's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Yeah, I think the FPS genre isn't very kid-friendly in general. Not unless it's a really unusual approach to the concept. Even without cursing and gore, it's still pretty violent to run around shooting everything that moves, especially from the first-person perspective where it's more immersive and makes you feel like you yourself are doing the shooting.
    get a used copy of jumping flash for ps1 off amazon/

Insert Coin (Level 0) Game Hoarder's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They see me playing all kinds of cool games like Fallout 3, Bioshock, etc, etc, but as much as I'd love them to enjoy those games too, the content is just a bit too harsh for their current ages. One of my sons is 11 years old, and I can tell that when he's about 13 or 14 he'll be able to handle things appropriately. The younger one right now is only 8, and he always wants to play what his brother is playing.

When they go over to my Sister-in-Law's house, they are allowed to play Call of Duty. That's the only time my wife will let them play games like Black Ops and MW3. They are only allowed to play the online games, not the story missions.
    If they watch you playing all those kinds of games then how is that different from them playing them.

Also, I don't know if you know this, but when they play online games, they are going to be subjected to a lot of curse words on xbox live from a lot of foul mouthed kids.

Maybe you should just talk with them about it and make sure that they understand that it's just a game and you shouldn't do those bad sort of things in real life. When I was a kid I played violent games and I turned out alright.
    All your games are belong to us!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Game Hoarder View Post
    If they watch you playing all those kinds of games then how is that different from them playing them.

Also, I don't know if you know this, but when they play online games, they are going to be subjected to a lot of curse words on xbox live from a lot of foul mouthed kids.

Maybe you should just talk with them about it and make sure that they understand that it's just a game and you shouldn't do those bad sort of things in real life. When I was a kid I played violent games and I turned out alright.

1. When they see me playing Fallout 3, it's like for a couple of minutes, max. Like, I'll be playing Fallout 3 and they will walk into my room. I don't show them any of the graphic stuff. The only things I've shown them is just wandering around on the wastelands, or exploring certain places. When I get to the part when I have to shoot some guy, I tell them they have to leave the room.

So, while they will see me playing certain games, it's only for a brief period of time, or it's a section of the game that doesn't have any inappropriate content in it.

2. I set up their Xbox accounts so that they are only allowed to voice chat with friends, and I keep tracks of their friends list. They are only allowed to add friends that they know in real life. Kids their age that live in the same town as us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by RCM View Post
    I've never quite understood this argument. Only 6% of games are M-rated (over the past few years) and M-rated games account for something like 15% of the overall traditional market. You and your kids are tough critics if you can barely find anything redeemable in that 94%. A vast majority of my games AREN'T M-rated, and I'm 32.

The average age of a person who plays games today is 37 (in North America), so I don't see the need for devs to offer gore and language filters for games that aren't intended for kids anyway.
    Here is a list of M Rated games that are considered to be very good games. Now, certainly some of these games wouldn't be appropriate for children, regardless if there was gore and language filters, but still, you can get an idea of how many good games are out there that are M rated:

Bioshock
    The Orange Box
    Mass Effect 1
    Mass Effect 2
    Read Dead Redemption
    Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
    Fallout 3
    Dead Space
    Dead Space 2
    Left 4 Dead
    Left 4 Dead 2
    Skryim
    Rage
    Crysis 2
    Assassin's Creed
    Assassin's Creed 2
    Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
    Assassin's Creed: Revelations
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
    Bioshock 2
    Red Faction: Guerilla
    Vanquish
    Mortal Kombat
    Just Cause 2
    The Darkness
    Condemned: Criminal Origins
    Alan Wake
    Resident Evil 5
    Lost Planet
    Metro 2033
    Battlefield Bad Company 2
    Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare
    Dead Rising
    Far Cry 2
    Bulletstorm
    Borderlands
    Fallout New Vegas
    Darksiders
    Crackdown
    MGS4
    God of War III
    God of War Collection
    Killzone 2
    Killzone 3
    Heavy Rain
    Resistance : Fall of Man
    Resistance 3

Insert Coin (Level 0) nothingisttrue's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

how about Monster party for nes???
    but seriously, you could try the star wars kotor games, .
    the marathon series is also good.
    i think the second marathon is available as a dl on xbox live arcade.
    halo is basicly IMO marathon for idiots.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Game Hoarder's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I decided to look through my ps3 games to see what I could find that would fit what you're looking for.

Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe is rated teen, but it has blood, suggestive themes and violence. It's not the best mk game, but it's your best choice for a kid friendly one.

The Lord of the Rings: Conquest is rated teen and only has violence listed. I haven't played it yet, but it's like the Star Wars Battlefront games with lotr.

I have some more teen rated ones, but almost all of them have blood, language and suggestive themes. From the looks of it they're as vulgar as the m rated ones.
    All your games are belong to us!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Get a PC more kids oriented games on PC when compared to consoles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here is a list of M Rated games that are considered to be very good games. Now, certainly some of these games wouldn't be appropriate for children, regardless if there was gore and language filters, but still, you can get an idea of how many good games are out there that are M rated:
    And I could probably come up with a list five times longer of good games that aren't M-rated. By the way, Lost Planet is T-rated.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RCM View Post
    And I could probably come up with a list five times longer of good games that aren't M-rated. By the way, Lost Planet is T-rated.
    You should do that, sounds like it would really help the OP out! Remember he said his kids really like FPS games.

I think this is a tough situation because his kids are just old enough to really be intrigued by the FPS genre and the cool games they've seen him play, but not old enough to 'handle' them (according to him, their parent, and the only voice that matters in that regard). And by their very nature, FPS games are violent. Personally I don't see what advantage turning off gore would offer; in the end you still just shot someone in the head and they died. That's a tougher concept for a kid to be dealing with than the blood, in my opinion.

What games are you primarily offing monsters/aliens/robots instead of people? That's the only direction I think the WCP can look in. Still won't necessarily solve the language issue, but for me that would be easier to address by talking with my kids since they are going to be exposed to language everywhere. Play some George Carlin for them .

Last, good job WCP! I'm glad you are being a parent and watching out for your kids. Most people would probably just buy whatever their kids want and have at it as long as it keeps the kids busy.

edit: It has been a while since I played them, but Resistance and Uncharted didn't strike me as being too bad if you can get past the whole 'shooting people till they die' thing (which again, is central to this genre). I certainly didn't have my violence radar on when I played them, though.
    Last edited by Cornelius; 12-21-2011 at 11:13 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Stick to Nintendo consoles for the kiddies.

Banana (Level 7) SamuraiSmurfette's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's the problem. Even if you take away the blood, language and sexual content (if any), FPS are almost always going to be rated M because the objective of the game is to put YOU in the perspective of SHOOTING AND KILLING HUMANS.

I personally don't play most FPS's as I just can't get around that. I just can't understand why simulating murder is so popular with most gamers. I can only really ever get into them if they're heavily sci-fi or fantasy based (like Halo, or Borderlands) where there's unrealistic weapons and monsters and aliens to slay.

Having worked gaming retail for over 10 years now, it never stops amazing me how many parents give kids the goriest, nastiest, most realistic games, and get mad at me for potentially suggesting otherwise. And how most of those same parents will FLIP OUT and draw the line if there's a nipple anywhere to be seen.

I just don't understand it.

But, I'm not a parent yet, and I can't tell anyone what their kids can and can not handle. Everyone is different when it comes to maturity levels. I had one kid who came in with his mom to buy GTA, so I mentioned the content descriptors to the mom. She said no, and the kids THREW A FIT, crying screaming and calling her a bitch as she dragged him out of the store. Proving my maturity point right then and there.

TL;DR good on you for taking interest, and only you can decide what your kids are ready for.

Extra link: http://www.gamingwithchildren.com/

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I feel like such an oddity that as a kid I never wanted games or movies or whatever until I was already pass the appropriate age. I never bought a Mature-rated game until I was 18 or so (I think my first was Parasite Eve), and I didn't get a Teen-rated game until I was already 14 or so (I think Killer Instinct Gold was my first?) That's just how my tastes in entertainment products naturally went. Even now I mostly play Everyone and Teen-rated games (Teen for the RPGs; Everyone for most everything else I play). Actually, now that I think about it, I bet I can count the number of Mature-rated games that I've beaten on one hand. I've bought plenty, but I just don't often gravitate toward them.

Maybe it has something to do with being a girl.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The difference to me (violence vs language) is that even my six year old knows that it's wrong to kill people in real life. He understands that the "people" he's shooting in the game aren't real. He's not going to pick up a gun (which he doesn't have access to anyway) and start shooting passing motorists.

However, the foul language in the games is real and I would prefer he not be overly exposed to it. Sure, they hear bad language on tv and at Walmart. But not to the extent that he will hear it while playing a game level for the 20th time in the last hour because it's fun and hard and he keeps dying.

Also, I wouldn't suggest that the developer not put the language in the game. But I would be willing to pay more for the same game if it had a filter system on it.

The "it makes it more real" argument falls flat with me, too. If you want reality, they should make the game stop working completely after you die the first time. That would be "reality", but that wouldn't be fun, would it? The excessive language makes the game not fun for me and my family. Why can't we both have what we want for the $60 we pay for a new game?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Start 'em off with the NES and as many Disney Capcom-developed platformers as you can find!

But I agree, this generation is way too focused on selling to that hardcore 16-25 year old market, especially with the huge number of "Flavor of the month" FPS games. Shame really.

Then again, I think things have been in decline since the Dreamcast left the market and arcade ports were no more, but that's just me...
    I completely agree with starting kids off with Disney/Capcom platformers from the NES days, some of my favourite games growing up in the 80's and early 90's. Developers are focused on selling to that 16-25 and older male market because they're the ones who are gonna go out and spend $60 on a game, not a 10 year old or his parents.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I feel like such an oddity that as a kid I never wanted games or movies or whatever until I was already pass the appropriate age.
    I was pretty much the same way. I remember playing The Neverhood in the store so I asked to get it, but when we got home I noticed it was rated 17+ on the box for some reason so I put it aside planning to wait until I was that age. I ended up never using it so it's still sealed new.

I didn't want to see the Mortal Kombat film because it was rated PG-13 and I wasn't 13 yet, I have no idea why I was like that back then.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Duffman happens to know my 10 yr old son and I personally. We were working in the videogame industry together when my son was born. Videogames have been a part of his life since day one. I allow my son to play anything that does not contain sexual content. We also keep the voice chat turned off when he's online. I firmly believe that it is important to restrict game content based on the individual nature of the child. My son is a straight A student who knows that games are fantasy. He is a bright and happy child who just also happens to hold his own on the Black Ops leaderboards. (it's highly likely that the jerk who keeps fragging you IS my 10 year old) He tends to change genres as his mood dictates. One minute he's online playing an FPS, the next time he's playing Paper Mario on the Wii. He polices himself.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Dr. BaconStein's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Will they at least play rail shooters? Pokemon Snap and Starfox 64 are pretty old, but if they still play retro games, it may be enough to hold their attention for a while. There's also the Metroid Prime series. If they're not afraid to try different genres, there are plenty of great E to T-rated games out there. You just need to know where to look. I don't play many M-Rated games myself...