Thread: Star Wars: the Old Republic Launches [Slashdot]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lightbulb Star Wars: the Old Republic Launches [Slashdot]

Today marks the official launch of Star Wars: the Old Republic, a new MMOG from BioWare, EA, and LucasArts. The game's population has been building throughout the week as players who pre-ordered were granted early access, but now the gates have been thrown open to everyone. By using the Star Wars universe and a 'story-driven' approach to MMO gameplay, BioWare hopes to draw in a new group of players who don't typically consider themselves MMO gamers. Since the game is still largely unexplored, comprehensive reviews have yet to be written, but Shack News has a write-up about the early game. An article at Eurogamer discusses whether this sort of game launch marks the end of an era for the MMOG industry — the game's budget is estimated to be as high as $100 million, and it relies on a traditional subscription model when many games are making the switch to free-to-play.

Read more of this story at Slashdot.

More...
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So has anyone here been playing this? As a strictly console and handheld gamer I don't even have access to this. But I'm curious how it's turned out so far. I'm also a huge fan of Star Wars: Knights of The Old Republic 1 and 2 on the original Xbox and was wondering how similiar to those games this one is.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Great Puma (Level 12) captain nintendo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought the game, because a friend of mine did. I needed to upgrade my video card (did that just now). My PC is an older rig, but it's above the standards required. I'll try to pop back and let you know what I think of the game.

- CN

"until all are one" - Optimus Prime
    Link to collection:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...der=Collection

R.I.P. Michael "Nepenthean" Collins
    You will not be forgotten.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yeah, i'm playing it.

The best thing I can say about the game is that it is the best designed MMO if you are a casual player. It plays alot like WoW, with better art direction and single player content.

Honestly the game is a refreshing change of pace, it doesn't have alot of the necessary grind of other MMO's, really it could be called an MMO-lite. That isn't to say that it doesn't take time to raise crafting and levels high enough to be able to solo content.

Companions are a casual players dream come true. They come along during quests and can be your healer/tank/dps depending on which one you pick and how you rotate their skills. They can also be sent off akin to the game "Torchlight" to sell your items or go on harvesting or questing missions, which they can even do while you are offline. These companions are the best thing ever in any MMO, they are fully customizable and it's honestly one of the best features of the game, no doubt.

The game has challenging parts and quite a few world bosses require a group, but all around I would recommend the game to people who do and do not like MMORPG's. It has just enough for both types of players that all can enjoy. The genre is definitely evolving an Star Wars: TOR is a great example of how companies should start making MMO's more accessible.
    Last edited by BHvrd; 12-30-2011 at 11:04 PM.