Thread: Game Genie to Super Game Boy Adapter

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Game Genie to Super Game Boy Adapter

Hi all,

Does anyone know where one of these adapters can be found? How much they cost?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

What? A SNES game genie, or a Gameboy game genie? And how/why does it adapt?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by buzz_n64 View Post
    What? A SNES game genie, or a Gameboy game genie? And how/why does it adapt?
    I assume by the question that a Game Boy Game Genie will physically not fit into a Super Game Boy.

A SuperNes Game Genie won't work with a Super Game Boy. The Super Game Boy uses those extra side pins like a Super FX game utilizes and the the Game Genie doesn't have them. No adapter would solve that (Plus, the Game Boy game is running off actual GB hardware in the SGB, so even if it did have those connections, there would be no way for it to affect the game beyond perhaps Super Game Boy functions that rely on the SuperNes hardware).

I doubt there was ever enough demand for an adapter, but who knows. I suspect you'd probably have to modify the Game Genie's plastic casing yourself. Does it perhaps fit into the cartridge slot of a Game Boy Player?
    Last edited by Leo_A; 12-20-2011 at 10:06 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    I assume a Game Boy Game Genie will physically not fit into a Super Game Boy.

A SuperNes Game Genie won't work with a Super Game Boy. The Super Game Boy uses those extra side pins like a Super FX game utilizes and the the Game Genie doesn't have them. No adapter would solve that (Plus, the Game Boy game is running off the SGB, so even if it did have those connections, there would be no way for it to affect the game).
    I know, but why even do so? Just to mess with the Super Gameboy interface?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by buzz_n64 View Post
    I know, but why even do so? Just to mess with the Super Gameboy interface?
    Like I said, I assume a Game Boy Game Genie will physically not fit into a Super Game Boy. So he wants some sort of adapter that will allow him to physically use it.

I don't think he wants to use a SuperNes Game Genie with his Super Game Boy. Like I already said, even if it had those pins, there wouldn't be a heck of a lot for it to do beyond affecting the interface like you said and the SGB enhancements in some games. So there would be no point in asking for an adapter, hence why I think he's asking about a Game Boy Game Genie and not a SuperNes model (You asked him for clarification).
    Last edited by Leo_A; 12-20-2011 at 10:18 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

A GameBoy Game Genie won't fit into a Super Gameboy unless you take the shell of the Super GameBoy off and leave it PCB only. I can make a video to demonstrate this if you'd like.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    A GameBoy Game Genie won't fit into a Super Gameboy unless you take the shell of the Super GameBoy off and leave it PCB only. I can make a video to demonstrate this if you'd like.
    Please do!

Sorry all, yes, I was meaning the Gameboy Game Genie.

Actually, what drew me to this site was that I saw an older thread from about 5 years ago where someone said he or she had several of the rare adapters that were made in the 90s. I bet those are long gone by now. They don't seem to show up on ebay at all.

I spent the last 7 years without playing video games whatsoever. A couple weeks ago, I picked up an FC Twin and have started collecting and playing again. Yesterday, I picked up a Super Gameboy off of craigslist and wanted to see whether I could make that work with the GG.
    Last edited by theresamooninthesky; 12-22-2011 at 06:20 AM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    Hmm, I wonder though. why even use a Game Boy Game Genie when a Game Boy Gameshark fits and works perfectly fine on the Super Game Boy?

Didn't the Gameshark for Game Boy make the Game Genie for Game Boy obsolete?
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    Hmm, I wonder though. why even use a Game Boy Game Genie when a Game Boy Gameshark fits and works perfectly fine on the Super Game Boy?

Didn't the Gameshark for Game Boy make the Game Genie for Game Boy obsolete?
    Honestly, I'd never thought of the Gameshark.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I ended up doing this back in the day to get a game genie to work with Pokemon (it actually won't work on a regular game boy with the game, or at least didn't on the brick-type). Once you get it in there it works at least, but given the fact you need to practically destroy the thing...a Gameshark will work better.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I can only remember hearing once of an adapter to fit a Game Boy Genie into the Super Game Boy.
    Pretty sure it was an old GamePro where a reader wrote in asking for such a device and they replied with an address to order one from.

Also, didn't the GameShark only work on RAM addresses (by rewriting the RAM every frame) whereas Game Genie worked only on ROM (by hijacking the address and data lines between the cart and the console)?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Doesn't the game genie block all games that contain gbc-mode data? I thought it was only incompatible with yellow and later.
    Lum fan.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you try plugging it and a copy of Red or Blue into a brick game boy, the game will reset to the main Game Genie startup screen when it starts. There's a workaround that someone found later involving covering up a few of the pins from the Game Genie itself, but until then the only way I could get it to work back then was to half-dismantle it and slip it into a Super Gameboy.

It was actually cool getting it to *work* mind you. I had no idea if it would.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Another advantage the GameShark has. Pokemon Red, Blue and Yellow work for sure. I never tried any of the full pallette Game Boy / Game Boy Color games with it though. When I had one I was borrowing it from a friend just to get rare Pokemon in the game.

This was the original Game Boy Gameshark that didn't have a scrolling list of game names. Just a section where you had to put the codes in every time.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Kung Fu Man View Post
    If you try plugging it and a copy of Red or Blue into a brick game boy, the game will reset to the main Game Genie startup screen when it starts. There's a workaround that someone found later involving covering up a few of the pins from the Game Genie itself, but until then the only way I could get it to work back then was to half-dismantle it and slip it into a Super Gameboy.

It was actually cool getting it to *work* mind you. I had no idea if it would.
    This isn't true. I used a GameGenie to get Mew in Pokemon Blue back in the day.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I got my GB Game Genie to fit the Super Game Boy by just taking some scissors and cutting away the section of the casing that was stopping it from fitting. I imagine if you have access to some actual tools like a dremel this would be even easier.

I got the GG really cheap on clearance when they were being discontinued (also got a Game Gear Game Genie at the same time) so I didn't really care too much if I messed it up, but it turned out fine.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I actually bought one of these adapters from the company that made one back in the day. I believe I even have the instruction sheet for it too. Yay, rare complete OMGWTF!

It was just a PCB and a connector. Mighta had the company name on the PCB.

Anyway, I think I can find the company info for this when I get home later. I doubt they still have them for sale, but who knows. They weren't exactly selling like hotcakes, considering I bought mine from them in 97 or 98 or 99 or something, long after the SGB hit in 94.

Honestly, I'd just buy an el cheapo extra SGB and cut up the case some. However, I'll take a look when I get home and see what I can see.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Anyone care to test my theory? It isn't complicated. You need to own a Game Genie, some GB original games, and some GB+GBC dual mode games.

If I'm right... Then on a decent sample size to account for error margins, Game Genie should have total success rate on the former yet total failure rate on the latter. Regardless of hardware model.
    Lum fan.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Ok, I took a look at my adapter. There is no writing on the PCB except for the word FRONT. The connector says Galoob on it, but I'm sure they didn't make the device, just the connector.

I found the paperwork. It was an 8"x11" paper folded into quarters like a ghetto birthday card. It shows a small black and white pic with the GG, adapter, SGB and SNES all connected. In pen, someone wrote "Install as shown," with an arrow pointing to the pic. Nothing else is on the paper, however, I'm awesome, because the receipt is tucked in the paper where I left it. It's a small yellow thing from a cash register-type printout.

The company listed is Microsystems Development, which a web search shows to be Microsystems Development Technologies, Inc. in San Jose. I bought the adapter on 05/03/01 (later than I thought). In pen (this is a carbon copy of the receipt), someone wrote

"1 GAME GENIE ADAPTER $12.95
    1 USPS MAIL $3.5"

At the bottom under signature, someone wrote "Phone Order."

I do remember I had to call to order the item. Please let me know what luck you have doing the same. I'm very curious to know if they still have these.

EDIT: I almost forgot, their site is msdus.com.

-Rob
    Last edited by rbudrick; 12-29-2011 at 01:26 AM.
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Do you have a pic or a scan of the Paperwork?

I want to see what it look's like