Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ninja Spirit Appreciation/Commiseration

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Ninja Spirit Appreciation/Commiseration

I love Ninja Spirit.

That game alone could justify the existence of the Turbografx-16, and it was one of the first games I purchased on the Wii's Virtual Console. If you know the game, I don't have to explain to you how satisfying it is to bust a fury of fully powered up bamboo grenades into a line of oncoming enemy ninjas as you soar through the air in ways that Kage could only do in his dreams. The PC-Engine mode is fun and not too much trouble for a seasoned gamer (providing you memorize the pattern of ninjas rising from the bottom of the chasm on the last stage, of course), but the Arcade mode... It's more than a little tough, eh? I have beat it once a while back on Arcade mode, and am now, for some masochistic reason, in the process of beating it again on my Wii- I'm on level 6. I'm not sure what I want to prove. Perhaps, I want to show the game how much I love it despite all the pain it has put me through over the years in the Arcade mode. I swear, the levels of stress that I endure playing the one-hit kills difficulty almost makes this game not worth it. Almost. I suppose what I appreciate about the Arcade mode is that on some levels it seems like there is only one weapon and one accompanying strategy/pattern you must adhere to that will bring your ass to the boss at the end of the stage in one piece. Once you figure out the needed weapon and strategy, a small window opens in an otherwise impenetrable wall of impossibility. I like/hate that.

So, any other fans of Ninja Spirit out there on DP want to praise and/or curse this Irem masterpiece?
    Last edited by treismac; 12-20-2011 at 11:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bought the game at launch and loved it. However of course in the default mode on the Turbografx (and using the turbo button fire) I was able to complete it multiple times relatively easily. It was only in recent years when I fired up the arcade game in Mame did I realize exactly how DIFFICULT it was supposed to be.. and then I realized I had never tried out the arcade mode on the home version. Oh well. Great game though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That last stage part mentioned is extreme memorization bullshit but besides that I have always loved the game. When I first played it, it felt like a refinement of the Legend of Kage/Demon Sword style (yes, now I'm aware the arcade Ninja Spirit predates Demon Sword but I didn't play it until shortly after the TG16 port came out).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NE146 View Post
    ... using the turbo button fire...
    Ah! God bless the Turbografx-16 controller with its built in turbo fire! Conversely, damn the single controller port on the system. Anyway...

The game's difficulty is insane in the arcade mode. How many quarters would that game have eaten before a kid beat that beast in the arcade?? All difficulty aside, it is an awesome game- an awesome game that deserves a sequel, even if it is only new levels tacked onto the old one.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Ninja Spirit is one of my favorite pick-up-and-play games on the TG16, I play through it probably 2-3 times a year. Have not cleared arcade mode yet, only tried it once or twice.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    That last stage part mentioned is extreme memorization bullshit but besides that I have always loved the game.
    There's a relatively easy way but it still takes a couple tries to pull off. You have to get exactly one character width away from the far left well. If you can get there without drifting, you'll make it all the way to the bottom without getting killed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    That last stage part mentioned is extreme memorization bullshit but besides that I have always loved the game.
    It's nice to see that I am not the only one that has extreme difficulty with this stage. I have actually never beaten it, but I love the game nevertheless.

It looks amazing, controls so well, and sounds fantastic. The sound when you deflect ninja stars is just awesome. Also, even though it sounds cheesy, I love the howling of the wolf in the intro. I can't get enough of it!

Ninja Spirit was also the first game EGM ever awarded a perfect 10. Hows that for bad ass?
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jperryss View Post
    Have not cleared arcade mode yet, only tried it once or twice.
    You are a much saner person than me. I only tried it once or twice as a kid, but I became so proficient at beating the game as an adult that I decided to try and beat it as an adult on the Wii using the save feature. There is NO way that I would have ever been able to beat this game in one sitting on the Turbografx-16 on Arcade mode. The game frustrates me so much on that difficulty, I have to walk away and pick up where I left off the next day. My wife said she hasn't seen me so angry at a video game in a long time.

There's a relatively easy way but it still takes a couple tries to pull off. You have to get exactly one character width away from the far left well. If you can get there without drifting, you'll make it all the way to the bottom without getting killed.
    Well said. It was such a relief when I finally figured that pattern out. I think, if my memory serves me right, that you might have to adjust the pattern a bit on the Arcade mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith Storm View Post
    Also, even though it sounds cheesy, I love the howling of the wolf in the intro. I can't get enough of it!
    Yes, yes! I think there is a damn good chance that it is from association, but I still love that digitized howl, too. It sent shivers running down my spine when I first heard it when I was a kid.
    Last edited by treismac; 12-21-2011 at 09:36 AM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also love Ninja Spirit. It's a lot like a more elaborate version of Kung Fu for the NES. I first played it in MAME, and when I tried the TG16 ROM I liked how you can take three hits, as opposed to one in the arcade game, but I was kind of disappointed with the 8-bit music compared to the arcade game, especially the drums.

When I finally found the TG16 game for a good price, ($14) the guy took a long time to ship it. It turns out he had already sold that copy, and didn't tell me about it because it was the third time he'd done that. I wound up getting the game in a normal CD jewel case with the manual, with the turbo chip taped inside.

Anyone want to sell me a Ninja Spirit TG16 case?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love this game. When I first got interested in TurboGrafx I emulated a couple games and...this one stuck. It's very fun. I'm looking forward to getting a copy for my new PC Engine Duo

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really loved this game too, great pick up and play game as stated earlier. Never played the arcade mode though.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Rylin Sakai
    PSN
    RSakai

Being that kid who always had to get up in the middle of night to get any games in, let me tell you:

The little high pitched tune with the red Japanese text that showed up before levels creeped me the hell out, every damn time.

Looking back, I remember that game's atmosphere being fairly creepy/dark, actually. And bombs, so much bomb spam.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by R.Sakai View Post
    Being that kid who always had to get up in the middle of night to get any games in, let me tell you:

The little high pitched tune with the red Japanese text that showed up before levels creeped me the hell out, every damn time.

Looking back, I remember that game's atmosphere being fairly creepy/dark, actually. And bombs, so much bomb spam.
    Yes, YES!!! That quick little burst of 4 or so of bended notes is creepy as hell, ain't it! I never really thought about it, but you're right about Ninja Spirit's atmosphere being creepy and dark. I suppose my being oblivious to this is akin to fish forgetting that they are swimming in water.

Since you appreciate the dark preternatural atmosphere of Ninja Spirit, R. Sakai, let me plug one of my favorite Japanese flash games of all time: Underworld Trip.

It's a short platformer with an awesome Atari 2600, pixelated aesthetic, where you run through the different levels of the Japanese Underworld. I love the hell out of it, and hopefully you'll dig it too. Below is the url to the thread I started where I shared with the dp crew my love for this lil' dark gem.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158350

Oh, returning to your final comment: bomb spam doesn't work for the Arcade mode all the way through like it does on the PC Engine mode. I'm not sure, but I think on level 6, which I am currently on in my Wii game, the sword or sickle and chain is my only hope.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Rylin Sakai
    PSN
    RSakai

Funny enough, this little flash game, other than the intro text and music which was awesome, it reminds me a hell of a lot more of Samurai Ghost without swordplay. Was waiting for the crazy lady to start laughing after one level.

You know, I got Ninja Spirit before I knew what a PC Engine was, blew my mind when I read some magazine that referenced the name later. Always wondered what the hell PC Engine mode meant
    All I remember was that one mode gave you a health bar and one didn't? I don't think I bothered playing through both modes, playing the game without a health bar sounded dumb

But man, like you guys were saying above, I would rip right through this damn game until the end, where I would proceed to throw myself against rocks in a hole for the next few hours. Drove me nuts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All I remember was that one mode gave you a health bar and one didn't? I don't think I bothered playing through both modes, playing the game without a health bar sounded dumb
    Dumb and painful. I couldn't muster the resolve tonight to pick up where I left off. Didn't think my nerves could handle it.

But man, like you guys were saying above, I would rip right through this damn game until the end, where I would proceed to throw myself against rocks in a hole for the next few hours. Drove me nuts.
    I do wonder if the programmers would have made the decision to keep that final wall of ninjas, plummet o' death part in the prelude to the final boss if they knew how many people would reach that part and no further. In our modern day of the internet, it isn't as big of a deal to give gamers a skull cracking puzzle with all the resources laying just at the tips of our fingers, but back then, where could you turn to for help, especially in light of how few fellow Turbografx-16 owners there were? Personally, I'd hate to know that so many would get right to the end but never see the end credits roll.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XYXZYZ View Post
    If you have a spare TG16 case from another game, I have a Sparky's spine sticker for Ninja Spirit I could send you that will turn it into a Ninja Spirit case.
    PM if interested, no charge.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was kind of disappointed with the 8-bit music compared to the arcade game, especially the drums.
    True, Irem's games' sound quality is quite weak on TG-16, but their FM sound is horrible in the arcades! Games like Ninja Spirit, R-Type II, and Image Fight grate on the nerves 'cause of their poor choice of FM settings.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

I wound up getting the game in a normal CD jewel case with the manual, with the turbo chip taped inside.

FWIW,
    Ninja Spirit was the pack-in hucard game for the Turbo Duo… it was just a loose hucard with sleeve and manual…

I have always enjoyed Ninja Spirit! great fun game
    I bought the game new back in 1990… I still have the receipt from Children's Palace and the price back then… a whopping $59.99 plus 4% sales tax! I'll say that I got my money worth with that purchase!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGenesis View Post
    FWIW,
    Ninja Spirit was the pack-in hucard game for the Turbo Duo… it was just a loose hucard with sleeve and manual…
    The pack-in game changed a few times, Ninja Spirit was only one of several that were offered. If you purchased it on it's own, it did come in a complete case with manual, like most other TG16 releases.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

The pack-in game changed a few times, Ninja Spirit was only one of several that were offered. If you purchased it on it's own, it did come in a complete case with manual, like most other TG16 releases.
    I wasn't aware of a different hucard pack in? but I am the only person I know who had bought a Turbo Duo when they were new… and it had pack-in's of Gate of Thunder/Bonk, Ys book I & II (which the disc is different than the retail release), and Ninja Spirit hucard…
    what other hucards were there as pack-in's?

I am aware of the stand alone retail release… I bought mine new 21 years ago… still have the cardboard box too!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Rylin Sakai
    PSN
    RSakai

Waaaaaaay back when, I went for the deal TurboZoneDirect had and traded up my Turbo and CD for a brand new Duo.
    It came with the standard pack-ins, and a complete brand new copy of Splatterhouse.