Insert Coin (Level 0) Junkyrdsalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Junkyrdsalesman

Default Unique Persona 2 Eternal Punishment Factory Defective Manual

Look what I scored in the wild today. It's an odd Persona 2 manual that is factory defective! I've seen a Metal Gear Solid manual defect like this before, but i've never seen it for P2. Is this a unique piece or were defect common in P2 printing? Also I was wondering if there is a way to decipher between an original copy and a reprint. Here's some pics of the defect, it was really hard to photograph

Page 17 has a weird almost 3d like layer to it, also the page is not perfectly square

Page 18 on the backside you can see some printer paper stuff that was suppossed to be cut. Also note that I am holding the page flat, the reason you can see page 16 is because the page does not form a square.

Another Pg 18 where you can get a better look, note how some of the info is cut off at the bottom

Here's the real oddity. Pgs 37-44 are mashed together in this weird shape

If you take a look inside you can see some more 3d like print, some of the pages are just blank

Here is page 37, look at the top and you can see that white line where the page was supposed to be cut, also more info gets cut off on the bottom

So what do you guys think? Have you seen this before?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That is a print error. When printing if 4-Color process (CMYK) if all your colors do register properly you get the "3D" effect where the Cyan isn't printing and mixing properly on the Magenta and the Yellow or the black.

The reason the pages are stuck together is because of a cutting issue. Large four color presses will run the paper on a large roll. Then when the booklet is printed and dry it will be folded, stapled and cut all by the finisher on the end of the press. Folding and cutting should cut off the printers registration and color bars. However in the case of your book, it looks like the fold was off and when cut the booklet did not separate properly on a a few pages.

This error should have been caught in the final quality control process, and be discarded. I don't know how it affects a video game manual, I assume most people would not place a high value on it as it seems to make the manual difficult to use.

I had a dollar bill that was printed properly on one side, creased slightly and printed on the other side. The result when un-creased was a white void on the back side and an odd cut. Putting on eBay I think I sold it for over 30.00. Not too much but still it was a dollar!
    Condoleezza Rice is nice, but I prefer A Roni!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Junkyrdsalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Junkyrdsalesman

Quote Originally Posted by rpepper9 View Post
    This error should have been caught in the final quality control process, and be discarded. I don't know how it affects a video game manual, I assume most people would not place a high value on it as it seems to make the manual difficult to use.
    See that is the odd thing, the manual is actually still really easy to use (other than the pages stuck together) and is in beautiful condition. If you just looked at it without opening it you would have no clue that it was defective. You can flip through the book and read all the pages just fine (excluding the 5 misprints). Also another thing that's weird is that you can still smell the ink
    Last edited by Junkyrdsalesman; 12-22-2011 at 05:19 PM.