Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OK so what's the incentive to buy a game at launch anymore?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default OK so what's the incentive to buy a game at launch anymore?

This is the pattern I have been seeing the last 2 years or so. Game releases (I'm going with game X to not turn this into a flame war or some idiotic argument). Then 99% of the time one of the 2 things happens...

1: It tanks, hard. The manufacturer panics and immediately slashes the price by 20/30 bucks and puts it on immediate sale to spark something. Even sweet games like Deux ex, Alice, and lots of other "mid tier" or "lower upper tier" titles have had this happen.

2: It's the sickest most badass thing on the planet. Which leads to it selling a bajillion copies and getting released as a "game of the year" edition a short wait later with more content, usually all the DLC included, and like half the price.

So assuming one has patience, what's the motivation to get anything at launch? The only exceptions I've found are the major sports franchises (if you're into those).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Other than making retailers and publishers very happy, and getting to play it before alot of people.. .. . I'm drawing a blank.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Junkyrdsalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Junkyrdsalesman

Some companies have materialistic preorder bonuses, but nowadays that's rare. Usually companies do some in game DLC as a bonus which in my opinion is utter BS. Honestly who cares if you get some special in game golden chain mail or a gun that shoots purple laser beams? The only real draws i see are if you want to support the developers or if you want to keep a copy clean and or sealed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am MORE than with you on this, my friend. I have been applying this strategy for years. The only way that I buy a game at launch is if I am on the verge of dying to get my grubby mitts on it. The last time this happened was Okami for the PS2. Since the game was postponed from its original release date (I think- it might have been We Love Katamari that I am thinking of), I rationalized this decision fairly easily. About four years later, I picked Okami up again for like $10 new for the Wii, so I feel like in a strange non-logical mathematical way I made up for that launch purchase.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

it matters if you are a online stat junkie that wants to stay in the top 10 playing online.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by retroman View Post
    it matters if you are a online stat junkie that wants to stay in the top 10 playing online.
    Similar to this, but if you start playing a game like the next Call of Duty, Battlefield, Killzone 3, etc, you're at a major disadvantage because by the time you start, most of the noobs will have quit playing leaving mostly better players. Players that have studied the maps, have high rankings so have all the best weapons, etc. You may or may not be better than some of the people playing, but you come in at a disadvantage.

Another reason to purchase games early is if it's a first party title. Whether it's Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo, the price is more than likely going to remain at $60 for a long time. It might get a daily deal or a great deal during November/December holidays, but usually won't drop for awhile. In the case of Nintendo exclusively, the deals are few and far between, and they almost never drop price but it's mostly the same for all three.

A few final reasons. You really want to support the developer. You want the next in the series to come out. Can't wait to play the game. Or the one that rarely happens anymore but there's always that possibility, you won't be able to acquire the game new condition or at a reasonable price. Atlus tries to catch people with that last one and sometimes you really want to take the plunge. Crimson Gem Saga and Hexyz Force for example.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You know I'd forgotten Nintendo in this equation (sorry Nintendo fans). They never do seem to drop the price on the mario stuff and then half the time it gets discontinued and out of print for no reason! Mario Baseball on wii was out of print for a long while before they finally re-released it. That's a really good point.

I'm not much for online play. I play NHL12 online but that's about it. I play COD when I'm bored and just want to shoot stuff. I guess since I prefer single player games the "online component" never really figures into my thinking unless I get more game out of it like the GOTY edition of oblivion.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I would assume that the main reason is just because someone wants to play a game right away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

some games could become rare later on still like nisa , or xseed titles , plus some come with launch or preorder bonuses.
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

For some genres, such as fighting games and competitive first person shooters, if you wait three or four months for a price drop then you're already pretty far behind if you play them competitively. For Call of Duty and Street Fighter, that's a bigger thing than you probably realize.

Other than that, though, I buy games on or near launch because I want to support the developers. I winced at the sixty dollar price tag Rayman: Origins came with, but I want more games like that. So I bought it. Same with Dead Space 2 and Dark Souls.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Sometimes I just really want to play the game I've been waiting years for. (Skyrim, GTA, Mass Effect, Zelda, etc.). Price is irrelevant in those cases.

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Similar to this, but if you start playing a game like the next Call of Duty, Battlefield, Killzone 3, etc, you're at a major disadvantage because by the time you start...players that have studied the maps, have high rankings so have all the best weapons, etc. You may or may not be better than some of the people playing, but you come in at a disadvantage.
    This is true. Main reason to buy Battlefield/COD right away IMO.

Another reason to purchase games early is if it's a first party title. Whether it's Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo, the price is more than likely going to remain at $60 for a long time. It might get a daily deal or a great deal during November/December holidays, but usually won't drop for awhile. In the case of Nintendo exclusively, the deals are few and far between, and they almost never drop price but it's mostly the same for all three.
    This is the reason I buy right away when it comes to 1st part Nintendo titles. More often than not, they're not lowering the price anytime soon.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    For some genres, such as fighting games and competitive first person shooters, if you wait three or four months for a price drop then you're already pretty far behind if you play them competitively. For Call of Duty and Street Fighter, that's a bigger thing than you probably realize.

Other than that, though, I buy games on or near launch because I want to support the developers. I winced at the sixty dollar price tag Rayman: Origins came with, but I want more games like that. So I bought it. Same with Dead Space 2 and Dark Souls.
    This, a hundred times this!
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Only games I buy at launch anymore are either part of series I enjoy or are niche titles in genres I like.

Everything else is now a wait-and-see game. I have tons of stuff to play now and if I wait, I can save tons of money on titles I'm semi-interested in if I just wait for sales.

Some sales, like GameFly's end-of-year, make it worth my while to subdue the need to buy and own right away. It's tough to get away from after having done it for so long, but I'm working myself into it. After I saved $175 off 4 games I wanted from this year by waiting till the end of the year sale, I can see myself continuing on this path.

I understand wanting to support the devs and all, but if means I'll have more money in my pocket and I don't have to worry about scraping funds together or trading off stuff at pennies on the dollar, well, I'd rather support myself instead.
    Last edited by Oobgarm; 12-27-2011 at 09:58 AM.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Buying games at launch, locally? That's essentially the only time I would buy a game on day one of it coming out. The reason is simple - X game has a small print or X store(s) will only be carrying one or two copies. This occurred strictly last generation and I don't I've saved much money but I was able to get them new and that's all that matters.
    Whaddya mean invalid parameters?!

9,000 gigs of ram and it still can't answer a simple question!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Another reason to purchase games early is if it's a first party title. Whether it's Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo, the price is more than likely going to remain at $60 for a long time.
    Honestly, there are SO many games that come out today, I really don't even understand purchasing even first party titles that take longer to drop in price. There's just no reason to purchase a game when it's released, IMO unless the focus is multiplayer.

I haven't purchased a launch game for more than $29.99 (that wasn't multiplayer that my wife wouldn't play with me) in WELL over a decade. Even then I've only done it a handful of times, and NEVER more than $45.00. There's just too many games for me to pay launch title prices.

Captain Caveman (and Son!) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    My XBOX is dead, not live.
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend
    Friendless :(

I haven't bought a game at launch for close to ten years, and I don't feel I've missed out on jack. I am perfectly content being 2+ years behind on the 'in' thing. Matter of fact, I do this with all technology but the essentials (can't be 3 years behind on virus protection ). I save a small fortune, and still have plenty enough to keep me happy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Support the developers, that is it, and I think I've only done that twice in the last 5 years.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by retroman View Post

or if you dont want to be at a severe disadvantage 3 or so months down the line when you eventually do pick it up and get raped nonstop for the next 3 weeks because you dont know the maps or have any unlocked equipment that can help equalize the gap in skill

edit: also the whole support developers thingie
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

I only buy indie games at launch, or close to it. For everything else, I'll wait for the eventual Steam sale or Game of the Year release. (Especially since I'm a PC player for the most part.)

Then we have asshole companies like EA who only include certain items on preorder, and never sell them again. Like Alice 2? New console copies include the original game, or I think you can buy it if you get it used. We PC players got shafted and we didn't get the game unless we preordered directly from EA's Origin client.

YES I'M STILL BITTER SHUT UP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

There was a time in my life where I'd buy games via pre-order only, but those days have long since passed. If I buy a game at launch, then the game was:

1. A deal because I had a crap load of saved up Amazon credit (this happens more often than you'd think).
    2. The game was hyper niche and showed every sign of eventually getting more expensive/hard to find.
    3. Pre-order came with something I wanted. This mostly happens with niche titles where I like the artist and want the art book, like with Atelier Rorona.