Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Video Game Console smashers SUCK! Pathetic attention whores!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default Video Game Console smashers SUCK! Pathetic attention whores!

PLEASE WATCH!

THERE IS DISTURBING TREND on Youtube, it involves SMASHING classic gaming consoles. I am sure many of you have seen or heard about it. I can certainly understand someone who decides to smash or burn their Xbox360 that has RROD'ed for the 11th time, no shortage of those, still not my thing to watch or support such nonsense BUT IT REALLY PISSES me off when I see videos of destruction involving older consoles! I have seen plenty for Atari 2600, N64 even DREAMCASTS or original XBOX. Now, I see some smaller channels do this as they are desperate and will do anything to gain viewers/subscribers but I have also seen channels that have become big doing this, actually promoting the activity etc. Most disturbing was a big channel that posted a video smashing a original PS2 and DREAMCAST, the issue with the Dreamcast is actually very common and easily fixable. If it was beyond his skill or mentality to repair it fine but if that is the case then either the items should be passed on to someone who can repair it at the very least stripped down and sold in parts for other people to use for spare parts. Perhaps donate or sell the items for little more than postage to someone who can make use of and appreciate it. Worst of all the guy that posted that video seems in every other way to be a true collector and gamer, I mean his collection is certainly impressive and blows mine away, then I see him make a video like that? PATHETIC! BOTTOM LINE is there is no valid reason for making videos smashing/destruction retro consoles, games, accessories and it is done solely for shock value, for attention and to get views and comments good or bad.
    Last edited by OldSchoolGamer; 01-08-2012 at 04:55 AM.
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

If he got you to come to DP and post a link to his video with the words "PLEASE WATCH!" right above it, I'd say he got exactly what he wanted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack View Post
    If he got you to come to DP and post a link to his video with the words "PLEASE WATCH!" right above it, I'd say he got exactly what he wanted.

Er, NOT HIS VIDEO
    , please don't assume! It is MY video and thoughts regarding this stupid activity. I would not post any of the actual videos as that would mean I was supporting this madness...........

Actually, if you watch my video you will see I address just that, I am well aware it could have easily turned into advertising and a spotlight for him, I however did NOT say his name or mention his channel or post a link, believe me it was a tough decision to even make the video but unlike many who "call people out" I do not give them the benefit of linking their video or channel, many who watch my video already know who I am referring to (a couple messages I got confirm this) so don't worry the specific person as well as all others who do this are not gaining anything form my post or video, if anything form the comments and responses I am getting a lot of support against these losers.

I have even had a couple people message to say they unsubscribed to him and another as well as several people express they felt the exact same way. Believe me when I see someone make a video and call out a TROLL or something and then they give the persons youtube name, link to the channel and video I am one of the first to recommend to people that all they are doing is giving that person the negative attention they are asking for. So I was very careful to do it in such a way that people would not know WHO it was unless they had already seen it, not to mention my video is discussing more about the console smashing and destruction in general and not the specifics of who is doing it.

Last edited by OldSchoolGamer; 12-28-2011 at 10:38 PM.
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

I'm okay with smashing consoles if they're in production or passed out of production in the last 3 years or so. That means PS2 and newer are generally okay, however it does piss me off to see the older consoles smashed.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The video game collector equivalent of a PETA member witnessing a crush video.

..kidding.

I don't really care what people do with their stuff, but it is a juvenile way to get attention. Yesterday I was browsing a channel and some guy was breaking copies of Colony Wars in half. I wasn't amused, but neither was I terribly offended. I did think it was a waste, and that the guy wasn't very entertaining, though he seemed to think it hilarious.

Watching you cradle that Dreamcast most of the video, I have to say that system might be an exception for me. I love the Dreamcast and I'd hate to see one used for shock value. Such a great lil system.
    Last edited by SpaceHarrier; 12-28-2011 at 10:35 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Junkyrdsalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Junkyrdsalesman

It's their money, and rarely do people smash consoles in working order. There isn't much you can do about it anyway people will do anything for attention

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think it is stupid, but in terms meaningful harm, they would have to smash 10s of thousands of systems for them to have any real effect or harm. As far as attention whores, I dont care why they do it, cuz I try and not waste my time worrying about idiots.

Bottom line, it is their cash. If they want to burn money and post it, I dont care. I dont buy 2600's being rare, they are easy to find around my area. Dont get me wrong, I think it is stupid as hell, but it isnt going to cause a shortage of ataris.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

People are entitled to do whatever they want, but, yeah, I don't particularly like this kind of stuff. In general, people acting wasteful and/or desperate for attention aren't going to make a very good impression on me.

But it's not like it's just systems. I think it's all relative to what someone likes. Someone who hates seeing video game systems getting smashed might still think it's totally badass when his favorite band trashes their instruments at the end of a show, but as a musician, my fiance absolutely hates that and would find that way worse than smashing a video game system in need of repair (and, really, it is worse, what with schools around the country slashing music programs and the instruments being in perfectly working condition).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Yeah I have no problem with that, in fact, genuine frustration or annoyance, we all can have fits in the heat of the moment! I would be lying if I said I never whipped and Atari cart across the room in frustration lol! My point of course is those who do it clearly and specifically just to gain views or attention. Of course people can do whatever they want with their own property just as I can dislike it and give my opinion on it.........will it change anything or prevent them from doing it? Not likely but it feels good to voice my opinion and judging from response on Youtube many people agree.
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

If a super hero were to appear and save these poor consoles, what would his name be? Would he have super powers? A costume?
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

IRATE GAMER! HEED OUR CALL FOR HELP!

(typing in lowercase so this doesn't get edited.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    If a super hero were to appear and save these poor consoles, what would his name be? Would he have super powers? A costume?

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

By the way, there's something ironic about a guy complaining about people who act desperate for attention when the same guy endlessly churns out topics to advertise his own videos, attempting to disguise them as real topics and ignoring the proper place in which such videos belong (http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154171). (And if anyone didn't notice, the opening post is just a copy and paste of the YouTube video's description.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    By the way, there's something ironic about a guy complaining about people who act desperate for attention when the same guy endlessly churns out topics to advertise his own videos, attempting to disguise them as real topics and ignoring the proper place in which such videos belong (http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154171). (And if anyone didn't notice, the opening post is just a copy and paste of the YouTube video's description.)
    Well, I appreciate you first reply, as for this one.........
    Excuse me, I don't do gimmicks or things in my videos for shock value or attention, hell I wont even do "sub4sub" and this is about as close to a "rant" video as I have ever done in over 300 videos so no, I don't do things for attention, I do them out of my own personal interests. Yes the opening post is a copy and paste of the video description, wasn't trying to disguise that fact. I do this for those who have no interest in watching the video or going to youtube etc, the video is there as an option for those interested, my post is the same message I wanted to get across here so why not post the same thing? Would it of been OK with you had I posted just the description but NOT the video? You know, I remember a time when people here actually gave a damn about classic gaming, consoles etc. I post videos that have to do with my interest and passion in all areas of classic gaming, I share them here because I consider them relevant to classic gaming and a shared hobby and interest. Not like I am posting videos here about eating disgusting foods or backyard Wrestling right? Man, sorry if you have a problem with that, I post things of what I hope just might be of interest to the members here, just because I post in more than one place (surprise I like posting in several classic gaming related forums and sites!) how does that make it any less relevant or not a "real" topic? I mean what I say and I stand by it wherever I have posted it so I am not "disguising it" as a real post, it is just as real as it is HERE or AtariAge or Youtube OK? It seems more and more people have more fun straying off the topic and spirit of the post or jump at any chance to make an issue out of it. I honestly apologize for not posting in the appropriate forum thread, my bad, I will try to post future videos there for your approval, wish you didn't have to be a dick about it but ah well. FOR THOSE OF YOU that have actually posted giving your opinion or thoughts on my actual post THANK YOU! Much appreciated. I hope following comments can contribute in the spirit in which I intended.
    Last edited by OldSchoolGamer; 12-29-2011 at 03:26 AM.
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Wow, that was a rant. I simply noticed the pattern of thinly-veiled video plugs and merely pointed out the irony of the fact that your topics come off like you're desperate for hits on YouTube yourself. No major issue here, unless you count the mild annoyance of wading through topics of YouTube plugs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Wow, that was a rant. I simply noticed the pattern of thinly-veiled video plugs and merely pointed out the irony of the fact that your topics come off like you're desperate for hits on YouTube yourself. No major issue here, unless you count the mild annoyance of wading through topics of YouTube plugs.
    Yep, and I simply pointed out why I completely disagree with your assessment.
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

I have a friend that has a channel about destroying systems, controllers and games, as well as reviews. The destruction pisses me off, especially since I know he's a "gamer" like me, but he has great reviews otherwise.

Captain Caveman (and Son!) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    My XBOX is dead, not live.
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend
    Friendless :(

Well, the OP does have a point, but let's not make such hasty judgements here. I have tons and tons of extra consoles. Lots of broke ones that not just can't be fixed by me, but that have coughed up a bunch of parts for their freinds. Point is, I could make a whole series of console-smashing vids, and never once break anything other then empty housings. I'm certain that's not always the case, but it does illustrate it's not a cut-n-dry 'Rock stars smashing gee-tars' scenario.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    if a super hero were to appear and save these poor consoles, what would his name be? Would he have super powers? A costume?
    market man to the rescue!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I have a bigger hatred towards people smashing new consoles in front of people waiting in line on launch day. You just spent $400-$500 to buy a console on launch day, just so you can smash it in front of people that want one. Pathetic!