Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Retro Duo Portable - RDP 2 in 1 Portable System

Insert Coin (Level 0) Old_Skool_Fool's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Akito01 View Post
    Would it be a pointless cheap shot to call this a Retro Uno Portable given that it actually only plays one system. I'm also thinking that the D-pad looks a bit dubious, but I guess the real test could only be hands-on.

I'm happy enough with my SupaBoy not to be that interested in double dipping, but there seems to be a degree of dissatisfaction with Hyperkin in some corners that suggest a market for this thing does exist, even at that premium price point.

What gets me a little excited are these adapter units that are going to be released in support of it. Assuming that these adapters will work on anything that plays SNES carts, and I'm not totally mistaken about how they work, this could be the first opportunity to play NES games in S-video. I guess that would depend on this NES adapter being available separate from the handheld itself.

Well, it does play Super Nintendo out the box, and the NES adapter comes with it. Something that is not remotely comparable to the Supaboy. Also, the unit fits in my hands VERY nicely (unlike the super Bulky FC-16GO and the Duper Boy). Not to mention that the battery life is at 8+ hours!!

I felt the directional, and it feels good. I mean, let's look at this.

You get a 2 in 1 out the box portable, controller adapter with ability to use original SNES controllers, (with 2 Player Support) , Stand for the unit, built in 8+ hour battery, 2 controllers, and the option for Genesis games, ...

Oh, and it's a 3.5 Inch screen with contrast options.

It's creatively constructed and pretty solid, in other words..It doesn't feel like cheap Chinese junk like the other portables are.
    http://www.DasReviews.com
    Game News & Reviews On Just About Anything!
    Please Support our Sponsors at:
    http://www.DasCheap.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll have more details tomorrow regarding the unit functionality as well as the Adapter Cartridges.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Would the NES and Genesis Adapter for the Retro Duo Portable work with the the SNES

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Retro Duo Portable = PokeFAMI DX US version !!!!
    http://www.retrogaming.com.ar/

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So , have you gotten your hands on the unit or not? I'm so confusing.

You said that the unit fit on your hand very nicely but then you didn't answer about compatibility with certain game. Don't you have Kirby Superstar or some other problematic game to try out? Will you have them for testing tomorrow?
    Last edited by TKO; 01-05-2012 at 09:10 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

So you have to put NES games in some sort of cartridge adapter to get them to work? Then, does that mean the NOAC will be inside the adapter itself? Genesis will be the same way I guess. I assume Megadrive games will work as well via some sort of region switch?

If the cloned hardware is just in the adapters, then it should also work on a real SNES, Super Famicom, Retro Duo or any other clone.

Please elaborate on this.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    So you have to put NES games in some sort of cartridge adapter to get them to work? Then, does that mean the NOAC will be inside the adapter itself? Genesis will be the same way I guess. I assume Megadrive games will work as well via some sort of region switch?

If the cloned hardware is just in the adapters, then it should also work on a real SNES, Super Famicom, Retro Duo or any other clone.

Please elaborate on this.
    Test the adapter out if they get the NES or Genesis one's on the Retro Duo and the SNES

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    If you think about it that isn't a big stretch of the imagination. Hardware (both licensed and unlicensed) existed that performed similar functions was produced in past years, only bulkier and buggier. When NOAC technology exists as compact as Onestation carts it would be fairly easy to cram it along with a pin connector into a small shell and rely on the SNES hardware only for the voltage and A/V output.

I think hoping for stuff like support for Virtua Racing, Castlevania III, etc is reaching a bit.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here is a good demonstration video of the PokeFAMI DX (which the Retro Duo Portable seems to be a re-branding of) that was already posted in the Supaboy thread.
    At 3:20 the Genesis/MD and the Famicom/NES adapters are shown working on the PokeFami DX and then the Supaboy, notice how the Supaboy doesn't display the gameplay on the screen only through the A/V out of the cartridge adapter itself...

Cherry (Level 1) leatherrebel5150's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

According to an official(?) email someone recieved over at nintendoage you can indeed use the adapters to play on original hardware the link to the thread is:
    http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/mes...threadid=61903

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I wonder if the Retroport Gen work with Virtua Racing, Super SF2 and the Master System Converters

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've never been a fan of clones. I've always been pretty hardcore with authentic hardware if only on the grounds of compatibility (especially with respect to the SNES). I am rarely ever tempted to buy a clone and own not a single one.

There is a good chance that's going to change with this. This is the first time I've seen a clone that's made me actually want it. I can't wait to hear more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Someone do a Video of the RetroGen Port on the SNES...Just want to know about some Games that has trouble running on Genesis Clones..like

Virtua Racing
    Super SF2

and try

Game Genie
    Power Base Converter/Mega Master/Master Converter 2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Akito01 View Post
    if I'm not totally mistaken about how they work, this could be the first opportunity to play NES games in S-video.
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but that'll never ever happen. The NES PPU is incapable of S-video. That's something only the Playchoice10 and VS Nintendo Cabs can do when modified to. For an NES to run true S-video, NOAC makers would need to incorporate the RGB PPU from a PC10 and then run duel video cores so it can also display composite video. This is complicated and expensive, and since clone makers are cheap and lazy, you will never see a NOAC with S-video capabilities. Oh sure, there are clones that can display an image through S-video to some tvs, but this is only done by sending a composite signal through the s-video luma line.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by leatherrebel5150 View Post
    According to an official(?) email someone recieved over at nintendoage you can indeed use the adapters to play on original hardware the link to the thread is:
    http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/mes...threadid=61903

I just want to clarify that the "Retroport that comes with the RDP". will not play original NES games on anything outside of the RDP consoles. There is a separate version of the Retroport adapter that is being sold for actual use with the Super Nintendo and the retro clones like the Retroduo.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    zin0099

Default retroport

i was wondering about the retroport adapter for the new retrode2 the snes/genesis to usb device, there is no nes plugin at all there is gbx and n64 but no nes because of the mappers problem would this retroport adapter work on the retrode?

i been talking with the guy through email and he says no only "snes rom" even tho i asked if super gb worked which would be similar to the retroport adapter except it's nes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

So there'll be two NES to SNES adapters from Retrobit then? I wonder what the difference between the two is. If one will only work ont he RetroDuo Portable, then am I correct in assuming the NOAC will be built into the portable itself and not the adapter? If that's the case, then all the NES adapter would be is a simple pin adapter.

When can we expect some hands on info of the system? I'm worried about many things such as if the horrible NES audio returns (c'mon, it takes only a few cheap parts to build an audio dampener to fix this) and of course, compatibility with games like Castlevania 3, Paperboy and Rolling Thunder and the NES Powerpak. There are clones that'll run the Powerpak such as the Famulator. I have high hopes for the RDP.

As far the Retrode,
    I severely doubt it. Those devices read and compile SNES ROMs which are very different from NES and Genesis. Even with a pin adapter, its highly unlikely such devices would be able to make heads or tails of anything other than what they're made to read.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, everyone. The first official review has been posted. I also have gotten word that the initial release will be very limited, so Preorders have started for the unit as of this post. You can preorder both the RDP Matte Black & the Retro Duo Portable Red.

Right now for a limited time, if you watch the first video review, you will get a special discount code for Free Shipping on the unit (Sorry it only applies to US Residents). Just heed once again, that once they sell out, they will be out for a very good while.

The ship date is estimated at Beginning/Mid February.

Well, I'm off to CES, and I'll try to answer any questions if I have the answers, during the times that I'm not fielding the show.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the review !!!! But, why Spy Hunter ???? Try Castlevania III !!!!
    Last edited by Cryog; 01-07-2012 at 03:53 PM.
    http://www.retrogaming.com.ar/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Yes, by all means, PLEASE let us know of Castlevania 3 works.

I also am wondering if the Retro Duo Portable has the SNES guidance tabs. if it does, then Super Famicom games won't fit. The camera almost showed the cart slot, but not enough to see for sure. Please let us know if Super Famicom games fit inside the RDP.