Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The kid succeeds: Bastion sales exceed 500K [Joystiq]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks like we're working on an instance of trolls trolling trolls.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryborg View Post
    her partially exposed butthole offends my christian sensibilities yet makes me want to play jet force gemini

<skaar> Let's triforce our dicks

Too Old for this Crap Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    QOF
    3DS Friend
    3308-4993-4867

He hates us for our freedoms.
    "I am way too lesbian for that shit."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd like to buy Bastion but I'm a little annoyed I missed the sale of it on the 12 days of christmas.

By the way.. didn't the rest of the sales pretty much suck or is it me?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Carey85 View Post
    Looks like we're working on an instance of trolls trolling trolls.
    Trollception.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

I have a feeling that at least a locked thread is going to result from all of this back-and-forth we've seen thus far. But before it (likely) happens, I'd like to just make a few statements.

• Bastion's stated "total copies sold" are not just numbers from the U.S.A., but worldwide numbers including all three versions of the game. Thus Bastion's massive success cannot be attributed to only Americans buying the game.
    • The three versions of Bastion (Xbox LIVE Arcade; Windows including Steam, GamersGate, Origin, Green Man Gaming, Direct2Drive, Impulse, and OnLive; and the Chrome Browser's Chrome Web Store) ensure that a wide variety of people have purchased the game from a plethora of backgrounds and financial abilities, not only the wealthy prodigals.
    • Bastion is an independently developed and published game. Its achievements are all the more impressive due to its small-time developer not having the financial fortitude of giants like EA, Ubisoft, or Square Enix.
    • Bastion has won over sixty video game industry awards including numerous "Game of the Year" titles. That's an awful lot of publications to bribe.
    • People's opinions are just personal preferences and not fact. Thus what some people like others will not. Thus all media, video games included, cannot be called good nor bad as fact; the closest we can get is general consensus, and the general consensus of players and the media is that Bastion is a good game.
    • I personally don't like Bastion's gameplay, but I appreciate the other aspects of the game.
    • Those who are proud of their nationality or ethnicity should list it in their forum profiles.
    • People should be worldly before considering laying blanket statements as rule-of-thumb guidelines whether about people, places, or things.
    • "Americans" consist of a wide variety of people of all ethnicities from around the world with different distributions and concentrations dependent upon the differing regions of the nation - it is not a homogenous people nor country.
    • Digital Press's readership includes many Americans, but according to our statistics, Canada, the UK, Germany, Russia, Australia, Brazil, France, Mexico, and China make up over a quarter of our viewership, with most of that concentrated in the first four countries listed.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    Bastion is an independently developed and published game.
    Sorry to correct you, but it was published by Warner Bros. Interactive. Their catalog includes Batman: Arkham City. While it was independently developed, the publisher isn't nearly as indie as you'd think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by chilimac View Post
    Hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster hipster
    Your smugness betrays you.

Folks, behold: we have discovered the Aswald of videogames.

As much as you tout how smart you are (both indirectly here and in your prior posts on these forums), you are stupid too.

For one, while having what you believe to be an astute, ahead of the curve point of view, you make these posts not as one trying to reason and discuss, but as one trying to prove superiority and coming off, as JesusHC said, as a monstrous troll. If you were truly not stupid, you would have never began your discussion as such. As it is, you are already several steps behind attempting to make an acceptable argument for your point.

While you operate on a level that you see as smart, those around you - especially here in this thread - are quite convinced you are a moron. And they would be right solely based off your own logic, that being "I have no proof, other I know Americans because I live among them, so I know very well how dumb they can be.". Well, we can see you posting and you sound pretty foolish. Show me objective stupidity and maybe you'd have a case why you're smart.

So in closing on that point: lol yur dum

To your actual argument, you are, in a sense, pulling a Roger Ebert. Instead of games not being art, you are saying classic games are essentially art and modern games are not. The problem is the core of the discussion: these are games. They are entertainment. "What is successful is what is popular." There's a reason for that. People have fun playing them; just because you don't doesn't make them 'crap'. Again, subjective. You are not smart and you are not the Roger Ebert of games.

You wear rose colored glasses to classic games, almost a complete antithesis to the notion among "modern" gamers that older games are bad because they have poor graphics and are old. Your motivation for having such a hipster/arrogant asshole/snooty/elitist attitude is unbeknownst to us, as details left from your own background would probably paint a picture of bitterness for whatever reason. Let it go. Whatever you want to have fun with, do. You have your entertainment; everyone else has theirs.

So in closing on that point: lol u mad bro?

Look, I get it. Society seems dumber. It's hard to refute that we're working our way to Idiocracy. Certain posters on this board (... in this very thread) have really done nothing but bolster your argument by leaps and bounds. But just because we're having a good time, from your perspective "stupidly", don't shit in everyone else's cornflakes. It's almost like your bitterness about modern gaming can't be turned off and you can't enjoy what we do. Whether or not that's by smug choice or not, who knows.

And finally, in closing: lol u jelly?

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post

And finally, in closing: lol u jelly?
    No but i'm gellin' like a felon. That help?
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Strawberry (Level 2) misfits859's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Americans love mediocrity.
    Fuck you. Haha.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What a waste of a thread. This was the perhaps my favorite Arcade game of the year and this thread is nothing but trolling. Should have known better.

Anyways, awesome to see it break the 500k mark with the recent sale. I bought it on release day and eventually got the 200/200. Wasn't too hard, but it was actually FUN and you wanted to go through and beat the game again (had to beat it twice for all achievements).

Combat was good, enemies were diverse and the narrator was a touch of ingenuity. I disliked it as first, but it grew on you as you continued to play. A neat concept indeed.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Would like to see this released on a compilation disc. Like they did with Limbo last year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    4596-9692-2482

I don't get this game. It's pretty and generally a good idea BUT: The Kid looks like a Monkey-Boy with those huge hands, why didn't they go with something a bit close to the art? I have to admit it got it's own charm, but the narration is annoying the hell out of me and actually ruining the experience, i see the idea and why they did it, but how they done it is just horrible. "The kid took a huge dump - he forgot his hemorrhoid cream but he decided to go for it anyways".
    Fanboys destroy everything.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    lol yur dum
    u spell'd "ur" wrong lol

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

So no one here agrees with me that today's movies, music and video games are crap? I hope you can at least agree that today's video games are crap, because if even classic video game fans aren't smart enough to recognize how far the quality of games has declined in recent years, then there's no hope whatsoever for the industry of ever returning to a time when gameplay was more important than graphics, replay value was more important than length, challenge was more important than story-telling, and video games were made for people who were smart enough to discern the difference between a good game and a bad one.

what are some examples of great games in your opinion then? and which of these in your opinion are overrated pieces of garbage?

lol im seriously not being a dick here, im genuienely curious
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Oh dear god, what are you listening to? Today's music is the worst of the three. It's embarrassingly bad. I wouldn't be caught dead listening to it. Every time I hear new music on the radio I can't help but laugh at how bad it is. I'm laughing at you right now.

i agree with this statement provided you rely mostly on mtv/bet/vh1 radio and 98 percent of bloggers to tell you wtf is good
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."