Thread: What would you do in this situation?

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Default What would you do in this situation?

To make this short:

Last month, I got a metric truckload of games. All of them good.

And right now, I'm in talks to get an expensive, collectable game from someone. That's going to take half my paycheck.

So for awhile, my stance was "I'm not gonna collect any more games this month."

But then I found a seller on Amazon selling a game I want, one that's uncommon but not exactly hard to find, CIB and in good condition, for what I consider to be a good price.

So what should I do:
    A) Stick to my original plan and go the whole month without collecting games?
    B) Make an exception just this once, just because its a deal?

Thoughts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

As long as it's not going to really stretch you financially, I see no problem making an exception.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Hmmm, I haven't been on in a while. This new interface is a little weird. Anyway, I suppose I'd have to consider the factors that weren't mentioned.

How long have you been in the market for this game, and how often can you find it complete, since sometimes that's the biggest factor when looking for an uncommon title (common 'loose', but not complete). Also, do you have a significant other, and do they have an opinion on the matter?

My gut says to hold off (I try to respect personally set limits), but without knowing what the game means to you, I don't know how important it is to you. Is this a new game to you, or is this something you use to own before?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I've got no girlfriend, spouse or anything like that.

In the past three months I've seen three complete copies, usually going $60

I used to own this game. I sold my copy specifically because I wasn't pleased with its condition (it was CIB, but the box and documents were in crap shape). The game itself really doesn't mean much to me, but it is one I want to play, and its in a genre I have an affection for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm a stickler for financial responsibility, you already got a "metric truckload" of goodies recently that should be enough for the time being.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The rarer the stuff you collect, the less sense it makes to have a weekly / monthly budget. It's hard to make a rule like "I'm not spending any more money this month" and then one of your high priority wants pops up that you've waited a couple of years for. Of course you are going to bid, you'd be an idiot not to. If the money is that much of a factor, you sell something out of the collection to fund it.

$60 doesn't seem like an amount that would break the bank. Just go for it if it is important to you.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you can afford it, go for it. If the original reason for not getting more games is because you need the money for something, or you're saving up for something, then you don't buy it. If the reason is something more along the lines of, "I shouldn't buy this because I've bought a lot this month, even though I still have the money", then you should buy it. There is no reason to restrain yourself if the only reason is the restraining itself.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    As long as it's not going to really stretch you financially, I see no problem making an exception.
    Agreed. As long as priorities are straight and what's actually important is taken care of then do what makes you happy.

Captain Caveman (and Son!) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    My XBOX is dead, not live.
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend
    Friendless :(

If I find myself in a similar spot, I often sell a couple of sought after, easy to find games to fund it. If you don't play them often, and have them, it would be easy to get $60 for Mario 64, MKart 64, Ocarina...

And if you search the wild at all, or even Ebay lots, you'll replace them for less in a relatively short period of time.
    What I just did to buy Custer's. Not ideal, but it beats getting the water shut off

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is no doubt what I would do: if it's a good offer and if you have enough money to survive until your next paycheck arrives, I would go for it. Why make rules like no more games this month as long as you can afford them? At least if we are talking about buying one more game you really want and not about buying stuff just for the sake of it. I mean since you bought so many games lately there will be dry months sooner or later anyway.
    http://www.discogs.com/user/Tatsu>My vinyl and CD collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

imho of course...

Spending 50% of your income on entertainment is definitely not a good idea. Even if you do not have necessities that will suffer, this sets precedent for fiscally irresponsible habits/behaviors in the future.

I see this on messageboards all the time. Just because you see others buying and collecting such things doesn't mean you should do it also. You do not know the financial situation of others or they're just a mess in terms of managing money.

__________________________________________________ ___

[ Severely Outdated Game Collection Pics ]
    [ My Multi-screen MADNESS!! ]

Insert Coin (Level 0) Junkyrdsalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Junkyrdsalesman

You would regret it later and your future self would be saying, "Man, if only I would've gotten it when I had the chance"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you are not sacrificing anything much more important than gaming in buying it, then go for it

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, you've already said that you'll play it, and you don't seem bothered or financially put out by the fact that it will cost half of your pay to obtain, so I say go for it rather than regret a missed opportunity. It would be different if you were going to be hurt by being half broke and the game ended up being shelf-fodder.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

watch the finances man watch them closely!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Priorities man. Set yours and stick to it. Don't ask others to set them for you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    AceAerosmith71

I read something yesterday that said you shouldn't spend more than 50% of your monthly income on needs (i.e. mortgage/rent, utilities, food). Say you get paid bi-weekly and this item is half of one paycheck (roughly 25% of your monthly income), if everything is paid up-to-date, and you are at the very least also setting aside something in savings for emergencies, then go for it. Be prepared to live tightly should things go wrong but if they do, you can carve away at your entertainment budget until things get better because you won't be going out on the town. You'll be sitting home playing a game you enjoy until things improve.

That's just the opinion of a man with no kids and two incomes.
    “The world has, forever and always, been brimming with shit-heads.” - Dana Gould

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jdc View Post
    Well, you've already said that you'll play it, and you don't seem bothered or financially put out by the fact that it will cost half of your pay to obtain,
    You got the story mixed up there--I already spent half the paycheck on a different game, and that's why I'm wondering if its a good idea to buy anything else.

Still haven't made up my mind yet.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well if I was in your position I would wait it out. You said you have seen a few going for the same price? Chances are if its just "uncommon" you will come across it again at another junction in time. Unless you have a strong feeling that you wont come across this game...either A) in this condition at this price, B) or anytime in the foreseeable future...I'd wait. Just my piece of mind.
    Currently attempting to complete my Genesis collection! Always looking for hard to find complete games! Send me a PM
    Please feel free to follow my collecting blog here! http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/