Hello everyone,

I haven't been around lately, but I ran a search after both mine and my family's PS2s died (mine was an inherited family model SCPH-30001 that just died after ten years of use, but along the way had issues reading blue discs, which I discovered later culminated in all CD format disks)

My family had a 50001, which had a fatal accident fall.

Now, for Christmas I got a new slim 75001, which I have played all formats on (CD, DVD, PS2, PS1) and they all work fine. Now yesterday my mother bought a PS2 for my family, to replace theirs. The left side of the unit had a shiny finish, something much different from the shiny band mine has. Checking the model number, theirs is a 90001. I have little knowhow on the differences between the larger and slimline ps2, other than the integrated network card and external transformer power brick, removal of i.Link, etc (none of which I ever used anyways) but what differences do these two slimline models have? How old are they? Searching the forums for "PS2 revisions" and "Playstation Revisions" doesnt bring up anything of use.

tl;dr in short: Am I missing out on anything with the slim, as compared to the original PS2 model, and is the SCPH-90001 superior in any way to the SCPH-75001. When did the 90001 come out and should I be afraid of my 75001 breaking? Bear in mind these were both bought used from gamestop, which probably null and voids my whole question, but I badly needed a new PS2 and my parents were begging me for a christmas list.