Thread: PlayStation 2 revisions

Strawberry (Level 2) Game Freak's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PlayStation 2 revisions

Hello everyone,

I haven't been around lately, but I ran a search after both mine and my family's PS2s died (mine was an inherited family model SCPH-30001 that just died after ten years of use, but along the way had issues reading blue discs, which I discovered later culminated in all CD format disks)

My family had a 50001, which had a fatal accident fall.

Now, for Christmas I got a new slim 75001, which I have played all formats on (CD, DVD, PS2, PS1) and they all work fine. Now yesterday my mother bought a PS2 for my family, to replace theirs. The left side of the unit had a shiny finish, something much different from the shiny band mine has. Checking the model number, theirs is a 90001. I have little knowhow on the differences between the larger and slimline ps2, other than the integrated network card and external transformer power brick, removal of i.Link, etc (none of which I ever used anyways) but what differences do these two slimline models have? How old are they? Searching the forums for "PS2 revisions" and "Playstation Revisions" doesnt bring up anything of use.

tl;dr in short: Am I missing out on anything with the slim, as compared to the original PS2 model, and is the SCPH-90001 superior in any way to the SCPH-75001. When did the 90001 come out and should I be afraid of my 75001 breaking? Bear in mind these were both bought used from gamestop, which probably null and voids my whole question, but I badly needed a new PS2 and my parents were begging me for a christmas list.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I have a 90001 and so far its served me well. The only problem you might have is some backwards compatibility issues with PS1 games, but all PS2s have that problem.

PS2s in general are kinda fragile systems, so no matter what model you get you have to take good care of it if you expect it to last a long time. I try to treat mine like a baby, but something tells me I'll still be playing my SNES long after my PS2 has gone to shitsville.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Suikoman444
    PSN
    Suikoman444

The fat has the hard drive slot, which the slim doesn't have. Though it's not of much importance for the average PS2 user.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Game Freak View Post
    tl;dr in short: Am I missing out on anything with the slim, as compared to the original PS2 model, and is the SCPH-90001 superior in any way to the SCPH-75001. When did the 90001 come out and should I be afraid of my 75001 breaking? Bear in mind these were both bought used from gamestop, which probably null and voids my whole question, but I badly needed a new PS2 and my parents were begging me for a christmas list.
    90001 has internal power supply, so you just need a cord like you did with the original model, not a powerbrick like the 75001 used. They also removed the exploit that let you run FreeMC or whatever it was called (some earlier 90001's still have it, but most don't). If you're just using it to play retail games released in your region, don't worry about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

It's possible a brief run of PS2s around early 2008 included the scarce non-rumble controller? We're not sure yet.

Turns out this controller was no myth, thanks to a few kind info leads from here and other places. They're unmistakable to identify:
    sold in blue packaging (rather than dualshock 2's yellow)
    dualshock 2 is not printed on the controller body
    vibration motors are not installed inside them
    the full name is simply "Analog Controller" (NOT a typo, it's as shamefully boring as it sounds)
    model number SCPH-10520 is printed on the back of the controller (as opposed to an everyday SCPH-10010)
    http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewt...?f=52&p=532318
    Last edited by theclaw; 01-07-2012 at 10:39 PM.
    Lum fan.