Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Default Favorite Game Expansion

Alright I just finished Lonesome Road for Fallout New Vegas last night and it actually blew me away at how good that expansion was done.

and it made me think about all the great expansions that came out to games over the years.. Some telling new stories within a games world or creating a new experience or whatever the case maybe.

Not to be confused with Add-On's which only add items or maybe a building or something.

Expansions are designed to create a over haul of a game or add new story lines or worlds to explore within the means of the base game.

Now what do you as gamers tend to find as your favorite expansion to a game?

I loved lonesome road for Fallout New Vegas.

You enter a silo and meet a new figure.. a Eyebot Named ED-E who seems lost and sadden. In which you later piece by piece figure out his sad story. All the while traversing a long dangerous road with a quest given to you by a stranger by the name of Ulysses. Will you and your new found robot friend find the end of this road and figure out whats going on? Or will you become another piece of history like the divide you walk.

I like a story where you meet and character and you start to feel sympathetic for. ED-E being that character. I won't give the story away but when you play it for yourself you will understand what i am talking about. Its like being all alone exploring this post apocalyptic world all this time and you finding a child who probably lost their family and they are scared lost and confused and they take to you seeking protection and guidance and to help make sense of the scenario. You kinda get attached to the character.

The GTA IV expansions are amazing too. They basically wipe the base games stories slate clean.. start you all over again and in control of a new character and follow another epic story.

Oblivion's expansion "Shivering Isles"

That was an amazing expansion. It basically gives you this very large new world to explore with all new quests all new stories. all new charecters. all new bad guys. all new dungeons and caves and ruins and ect ect ect
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shviering%u00252Bisles1.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	4285  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

By far all the Half-Life 2 episodes would be my favorite (non-mmo) expansions. They weren't game changing, but expanded on one of the best games ever made.
    Currently attempting to complete my Genesis collection! Always looking for hard to find complete games! Send me a PM
    Please feel free to follow my collecting blog here! http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The number 1 and number 2 spots have to go to the Undead Nightmare from Red Dead Redemption, and General Knoxx from Borderlands. Both have nearly as much content as the original game itself, and I think in each case, were actually done better then the game they were expanding on.

whaler on the moon Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    Undead Nightmare from Red Dead Redemption,
    I concur. Undead Nightmare is phenomenal.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Genesaturn View Post
    By far all the Half-Life 2 episodes would be my favorite (non-mmo) expansions. They weren't game changing, but expanded on one of the best games ever made.
    They're not expansions. They're sequels. You can play them without owning the original.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

The "Bloodmoon" and "Tribunal" expansions for Morrowind are probably still my favorites, for pure nostalgia's sake.

I also have a lot of love for Undead Nightmare and Brood War.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    They're not expansions. They're sequels. You can play them without owning the original.
    to be honest i think those pieces walk a fine line whether they are a expansion or a true sequel.

I think they are expansions............... buttttttt as you said they did release them separately. I think they did think they did this to get the half life saga out to people on a much more wide range vs your traditional expansions you need the game and then install onto the game the expansions.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Was actually watching someone play Shivering Isles today before work. Even though the gate for Shivering Isles is right next to the beginning of Oblivion, I never stepped through and attempted it. I'm playing through Oblivion before I attempt it.

Out of the very few expansions I have played, GTA The Ballad of Gay Tony is my favorite.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

whaler on the moon Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    Does Undead Nightmare count then? Even when it first became available for download, you didn't need the original, correct? Maybe I am mistaken. Either way, my vote still goes for Undead Nightmare.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by frogofdeath View Post
    Does Undead Nightmare count then? Even when it first became available for download, you didn't need the original, correct? Maybe I am mistaken. Either way, my vote still goes for Undead Nightmare.
    GTA Episodes and RDR Undead Nightmare, the regular game was required if you download as add on content. According to Gamefaqs, the disc version of Undead Nightmare came out a month after the DLC.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.