Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sony Euro boss: Japanese Vita sales not indicative of international reception [Joysti

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Five page Digital Foundry review of the Vita. If you're interested in it at all I'd suggest reading.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...aystation-vita
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Five page Digital Foundry review of the Vita. If you're interested in it at all I'd suggest reading.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...aystation-vita
    Interesting review. Very disappointed to read about the fact that Uncharted has significant artifacting and uses far less than the full resolution the Vita is capable of delivering. Pretty sad that Sony couldn't even raise the visual quality of their flagship title to match the same technical performance level as some of the third party stuff being released at launch.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A lot of good conversation so far.

I think the Vita has to do more to differentiate itself from being a phone. The 3DS does that by way of it's 3D gimmick (even though I think that sucks) and two screens (even though that is the same as the DS). The Vita? It looks like an oversized phone, with touchscreen menus like an oversized phone, that plays games... that are way more expensive than a phone and that you need a memory card that is really expensive to save on.

Sony needs to do a lot more with the games and the controls to PROVE to consumers that this thing is really a huge step over their phones. At *this moment*, I don't think that they have done a great job doing that. It's not to say that they can't or won't in the future, but that is the biggest issue that the Vita needs to overcome.

And, for the record, the 3DS had a lot of similar issues. It had a gimmick that phones don't have going for it to help further sales a bit, but other than that it looks just like the old DS platform, and plays games that until Mario 3D Land didn't make innovative use of the 3D effect at all. I think that is what was holding back sales on it -- show consumers something new that they couldn't do before, even for a higher price, and the sales will come.

Sony needs to develop that strategy. If/when they do (and I think this is a when, not an if -- it's when the developers really fully explore the platform), the console will start selling more.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I were Sony..I WOULD be worried. Not only is the 3DS half the cost of the PSVita, but it has a slew of killer games out already and a whole bunch more on the horizon. I'm still blown away that the big Japanese release was Uncharted...which is as Western of a game as you can really get. Sony needs a killer game to drive people to buy their handheld. PSP sold very well in Japan (although still not as well as the DS), they can do it again if they have the right games and right price.

Personally I will most likely not own a Vita until a price drop...thats way too much for a handheld system that has no games I want to play.
    Currently attempting to complete my Genesis collection! Always looking for hard to find complete games! Send me a PM
    Please feel free to follow my collecting blog here! http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Genesaturn View Post
    If I were Sony..I WOULD be worried. Not only is the 3DS half the cost of the PSVita, but it has a slew of killer games out already and a whole bunch more on the horizon. I'm still blown away that the big Japanese release was Uncharted...which is as Western of a game as you can really get. Sony needs a killer game to drive people to buy their handheld. PSP sold very well in Japan (although still not as well as the DS), they can do it again if they have the right games and right price.

Personally I will most likely not own a Vita until a price drop...thats way too much for a handheld system that has no games I want to play.
    Although I would agree with you that Uncharted is a "Western" game, the PS3 games have sold pretty well in Japan and as I noted earlier, Uncharted 3 actually was #2 in the Japanese charts during launch week and sold pretty well for several weeks after that.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Jaruff

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    I think that the Vita is going to be another slow starter, just like the 3DS was.
    I agree. Sony (and Nintendo with the 3DS) didn't take into account that the revenue for these hand held systems generally come from parents who buy them for children. Many parents don't have the kind of money needed to spend on these systems, especially when they can get a DS or PSP with a decent lot of games at a cheap price. Specs and features aren't as important as pricing and that's been the case for 20+ years.

You know how Sony could convince me to buy a Vita? Sell PS3 games with a Vita copy included, so I can play (roughly) the same game on both systems. If Sony wants a killer app, imagine playing Call of Duty on PS3 servers on the Vita. There's the market for these things; allow people to play their favorite multi-player console games on the go using the same servers the console versions utilize. Bundle in a good shooter (ex: Killzone) and Sony has a huge advantage over the 3DS.

Also, I haven't paid much attention to the specs, but a mini-HDMI port (if there's not one included) would be great too. Easier to bring a hand held on an out of town trip than a PS3 in a bag.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

They confirmed the lack of tv/out functionality quite sometime ago. And if the touch screens catch on like I'm sure they're hoping for, I doubt we'll ever see it added in a hardware revision down the road.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Although I would agree with you that Uncharted is a "Western" game, the PS3 games have sold pretty well in Japan and as I noted earlier, Uncharted 3 actually was #2 in the Japanese charts during launch week and sold pretty well for several weeks after that.
    Whilst I think a good job was done with the promotion and localization of Uncharted 3, the sheer number of used copies of the game filling up the racks suggests that people felt one playthrough was enough.

MW3 is MASSIVE in Japan though, Western games can do well in the East, they just need to be focused on skill-based gameplay or/and longevity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jaruff View Post
    You know how Sony could convince me to buy a Vita? Sell PS3 games with a Vita copy included, so I can play (roughly) the same game on both systems. If Sony wants a killer app, imagine playing Call of Duty on PS3 servers on the Vita. There's the market for these things; allow people to play their favorite multi-player console games on the go using the same servers the console versions utilize. Bundle in a good shooter (ex: Killzone) and Sony has a huge advantage over the 3DS.
    That really is a great idea.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Looks like the bill of parts for the Vita has been done and estimates are that it's $160. The 3DS was $101, so while the Vita is higher, it's not significantly higher than what the 3DS contains. Looks like Sony has some room to cut pricing if need be and could still maintain some type of margin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Genesaturn View Post
    If I were Sony..I WOULD be worried. Not only is the 3DS two thirds the cost of the PSVita, but it has two killer games out already and barely anything on the horizon. I'm still blown away that the big Japanese release was Uncharted...which is as Western of a game as you can really get. Sony needs a killer game to drive people to buy their handheld. PSP sold very well in Japan (although still not as well as the DS), they can do it again if they have the right games and right price.

Fixed.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Fixed.
    Are you serious? There are some great games coming in the next few months on the 3DS including Kid Icarus, Luigi's Mansion 2, Paper Mario 3DS, Spirit Camera and Rhythm Thief. I imagine the next wave of Vita stuff will be pretty great as well. Sony and Nintendo are in for a real fight on their hands.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I was listening to a podcast and this guy was complaining about the size of the face buttons on Vita. He said they are considerably smaller than the PSP's buttons. That's a huge problem for me, because I already thought that the buttons on PSP were tiny as it was, and now you're going to tell me that the Vita's buttons are even smaller? I was thinking that the overall size of the Vita being larger is actually a good thing from an ergonomic standpoint, but then they go and make the buttons too small.

I guess I'll have to wait until I get a chance to hold one in person, and see if I can live with the small buttons.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have had my vita for about two weeks now and man is it amazing. I have big hands and the buttons are fine. The size is very comfortable. The screen is huge!!! And the graphics are absolutely unreal!! I have been playing uncharted and the game is great very long too with about two hours of cutscenes which makes the game feel like it will last forever. Anyone who is doubting the system check out some gamestop a as they are getting demo units in now. I for one love this system. And to but in on the whole which system will do well comparing the 3 ds or vita I think it's simple. They are both great systems but they hit totally different audiences. The ds is perfect for the younger crowd but the vita is definitely for the older crowd. And for the price. Once you see this thing in action the 250 price tag stings a lot less!!!

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

#1 major problem for the Vita (imho) sums up like this...it's another multi-media device in a multi-media market. Now if it were the year 2000, then a music/video/camera player plus double-ended touchpads and plays video games w/ "beyond PS2" graphical capabilities fit in the palms of a handheld device for the low, low, low price of $250 would have nuked all Nintendo/Sega/MS competition in nuclear devastation. But it won't cause it's now 2012. Anything and everything hi-tech these days is expected to play mp3, streaming video, able to social network, internet browsing, etc. and in Vita's case, unfortunately, it's just another face in the crowd.

Don't get me wrong. 3ds' is in the same boat but where Nintendo succeeded was they did not showcase it as another so-called walkman/video player/3d camera/streetpass multi-media device instead they marketed the thing, first and foremost, as a gaming machine! They played to their strengths and reaped the rewards of their success. And if I were in Sony's shoes, I'd stop treating my newest game handheld like some over-tech Walkman and start strategizing on one hell of a super campaign to help spread the word on everything Vita from now to Christmas cause 2012 will be Vita's toughest fight for 2 reasons....3DS & Wii U.
    Last edited by Press_Start; 01-23-2012 at 12:01 PM.
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The problem that these handheld systems have is that they're increasingly competing with phones.

I think that the phone market is one innovator away from completely crushing the portable gaming market. All its going to take is for someone to design a smart phone that has good gaming controls yet isn't overly clunky. When I'm on the road I don't want to have to carry both a smart phone and a portable gaming device, especially when the smart phone can play the games. The writing is on the wall IMO. I'm just waiting for it to happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Press_Start View Post
    #1 major problem for the Vita (imho) sums up like this...it's another multi-media device in a multi-media market

they did not showcase it as another so-called walkman/video player/3d camera/streetpass multi-media device instead they marketed the thing, first and foremost, as a gaming machine!
    You sure do like talking out of your ass don't you?

Here is a video of the first trailer for the Vita outside of the E3 conference which was nothing more than a collage of games. With this new trailer, notice that it's not trying to push anything other than the fact that it's a gaming machine. Sure it states that it has a multi touch screen, camera, rear camera, and back panel touch screen, 3g, and gps, but how the hell is anyone going to know what the system can do for a gaming experience if the features are not even known. It's like if Nintendo released the Wii being a motion control console and never told anyone that was used in that way. The rest of the video after describing the features of the system are nothing but video games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIaJHh60hQY

As for Near which was announced later, it's used as either a gaming mechanic or displays what games people you meet are or have been playing. A launch window title called Unit 13 is going to use Near as a gameplay mechanic. If someone that you interact with with Near has played and unlocked special missions on Unit 13, those missions will be unlocked for a short period of time or a single play. If you complete the mission in your playthrough, then you'll also unlock it, but if you fail you'll have to unlock it yourself or wait until you reconnect with someone that has Near.

It's also funny how much of a hypocrite you are. Nintendo repeatedly announced Netflix for the 3DS, hyped streetpass all to hell(something your post is specifically complaining about the Vita about.) While at my bestfriends, he connected to wifi to download the Resident Evil Revelations Demo, only for the 3DS to respond that were movies and music videos to download. Yeah. "movies" and "music videos" and then the ability to watch a trailer for each of them.

Then also for Resident Evil Revelations. First off it turned out the demo wasn't as good as I thought it was going to be. Not only that. "you have 30 times left to play this demo." Seriously. A limitation for playing the demo.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 01-23-2012 at 04:02 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

Fixed.
    "Barely any?" What form of measurement is that?

I could go out on a limb and say the same thing about the Vita, what with its enhanced port shenanigans. I'm not getting one until that dies down.
    In Heaven, everything is fine.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Griking View Post
    The problem that these handheld systems have is that they're increasingly competing with phones.

I think that the phone market is one innovator away from completely crushing the portable gaming market. All its going to take is for someone to design a smart phone that has good gaming controls yet isn't overly clunky. When I'm on the road I don't want to have to carry both a smart phone and a portable gaming device, especially when the smart phone can play the games. The writing is on the wall IMO. I'm just waiting for it to happen.
    A year or two ago I would have said you were crazy, but now I'm just as sure that you're correct. Heck, even Sony is sort of aware of that possibility with its Xperia phones. I think the one niche market that may still embrace handheld dedicated gaming systems will be children and pre-teens, many of whom actually have smartphones and iPads now, but whose parents might not want them using a smartphone for gaming due to the potential airtime and data costs and the high cost of replacing the devices if they are lost or damaged. I do have to say that I am both saddened and oddly intrigued by the possibility that this might be the last generation of dedicated gaming handhelds.