Thread: Everquest Beta discs found, any info?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Everquest Beta discs found, any info?

At the local thrift store I found something that brings back a lot of memories and when I opened the box I realized it was a beta copy of Everquest. As you can see in the pictures the discs say Beta 3 and Beta 4. What I really like is the letter from Braid Mcquaid. I can find very little information online about how many people were in what phases of the beta's so any info anyone has would be helpfull.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4782.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	4298

Name:	IMG_4781.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	4297

Name:	IMG_4779.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	4296

Everquest holds a special place in my heart as the game took 5years of gaming from me, over 3000 hours. Finding something like this makes me want to try one of those free retro EQ servers, anyone tried one?

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

I was cleaning out my old PC games (probably be a FS / FT thread coming up soon - have at least 100 I don't want to keep) and found one of these, too. I didn't actually apply for the beta; one of my friends from college was in it and let me use the CD and his account for the last week or so before launch - then I played for a few years after that.

There was something pretty nostalgic about the old game, not gonna lie. It just sucked up too much time. When I eventually realized how many other game experiences I could be having for the same amount of time, I quit. Never really missed it. I've since vowed never to play another MMOG again. Every now and again one comes out that looks cool, but I resist that initial wave of media and, sure enough, a year or so out the rose glasses have come off of everybody and the game looks just like Everquest, essentially - lots of leveling, no real end-game.

It would be interesting if, sometime, people would sell some sort of story-experience that had a limited time. I heard of one MMOG that had a planned end to the server or story, after which point the game would start all over again. Thought that was unique.

Never tried those retro-servers. And I don't think the disc is really worth anything, BTW...the guy who gave it to me doesn't want this one back, and I'd be happy to send it to someone if they want it.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by calthaer View Post
    I heard of one MMOG that had a planned end to the server or story, after which point the game would start all over again. Thought that was unique.
    Pretty sure A Tale in the Desert does that.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

I find beta software like that sometimes. I don't think it's worth much. On the other hand, it might be worth it to the person who was part of the beta. Sentimental reasons and all that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic