Thread: Printing game covers

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Default Printing game covers

I got some loose PS2 and GCN games, and some extra cases, but obviously no covers. Once I find the cover, what is the best kind of paper and printing method to make them look as best as they can? I'm guessing not inkjet?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

I print mine on an photo quality inkjet using glossy photo paper. I've printed a few Blu Ray covers and Genesis covers that way and I haven't had anyone yet that can tell they aren't original. Soon I'll be starting on my Nintendo and Atari games. You can always try your local Kinkos or Staples. They have some nice color laser printers there. However, you might have a problem as a lot of them consider what you're doing as breaking the law.

I'll take some good pictures tomorrow of some that I've done tomorrow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I use just a regular inkjet and plain paper, an inexpensive option. The paper is inside the clear plastic of the DVD case so no need for glossy paper.

The darker PAL cover on the right is the printout.

CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

The reason I don't like the plain inkjet paper is that it's too thin and all the ink causes it to wrinkle. Also, because it soaks it up like a sponge the edges of things aren't defined as the ink saturates the paper. It's not like photo paper is that expensive. I tried it at first and could totally tell every time I pulled it out. I couldn't stand it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Here are some high resolution examples of covers I've done. First up are some Blu Rays. The Jurassic Park trilogy doesn't come in cases. It comes in a trifold card board insert. The Matrix comes in an ugly card board case. I like my collections to be uniform. I think they look perfect and nobody can tell the difference between these and the rest of the Blu Ray and DVD covers.

Here are the games I've done so far. Right now I've only done the Genesis games I had that came in those damn card bard boxes. The Immortal came in some odd sized case that was taller than all the genesis cases. I think they all came out perfect as well. All of them except Sonic & Knuckles. I need to redo it and get it to the right size and adjust the color.

I took out the cover for The Immortal and set it side by side with the original. The original is on the left and the re-print is on the right. You can see that the paper I use is a little thicker. I also decided to saturate the colors a little.

Below is a link to the paper that I use. It's the right size to work for Genesis, SMS, DVD, DVD Slim, CD Jewel, Blu Ray, and the Universal Game Cases. It will not work for the DS cases people are using for all the GB games. I had to get special paper for that. When you print you just have to make sure to go into your settings in your printer to tell it what paper you're using and to adjust the quality. It makes a huge difference.

Here's that paper. Not a bad price if you ask me.

http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-Glossy-I...d=AZ07RYT362KJ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think The Cover Project had a forum post about this as well, but I use a semi-glossy paper from xpedex that's 8.5 x 14 (legal size), and then always make sure to print from Photoshop with crop corners.

If you're going to do a lot of covers, I highly recommend a cork-backed metal ruler to line up the crop marks, and a comfortable x-acto knife with several blades. Also make sure you've got something underneath to protect the surface you're cutting on, I use an old cereal box that's been broken down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I use Epson archival matte photo paper. It ain't cheap, but if I'm gonna spend hours designing custom covers, then I'm sure not gonna skimp on the paper I'm printing on.

I use a pretty decent Canon inkjet (laser is crap and should only be used for moderate volume jobs IMO, not stuff like this). You get WAY better color consistency with inkjet and brighter, more vibrant colors than you ever would with a laserjet. With decent paper, even a $50 Walmart printer can do a pretty decent job.

I'll post some examples later if anyone would like.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    I think The Cover Project had a forum post about this as well, but I use a semi-glossy paper from xpedex that's 8.5 x 14 (legal size), and then always make sure to print from Photoshop with crop corners.

If you're going to do a lot of covers, I highly recommend a cork-backed metal ruler to line up the crop marks, and a comfortable x-acto knife with several blades. Also make sure you've got something underneath to protect the surface you're cutting on, I use an old cereal box that's been broken down.

Good advice. I'd also HIGHLY recommend a cutting mat over a cereal box if you're serious about this sort of thing. You're blades will last longer, you won't ever have to worry about cutting through the box and damaging the surface underneath, the mat will last WAY longer than a box, and it will do a lot to help prevent the blade from wandering, which means straighter, cleaner, and more accurate cuts

http://www.dickblick.com/mat/cutters/?wmcp=google&wmckw=cutting%20mat&wmcid=adwords&cid =psgbr07211185&gclid=CML0kbDwqq4CFcVrKgodYipdCw

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I print covers for GBA games, but I've never had any luck with my home printer. Instead, I take an empty thumb drive, dump the JPGs I need to make copies of onto the drive. Then I take the drive to my local Staples. I simply tell them I want one color copy of every item on the thumb drive. I've never had a problem with them being worried about copyright. It ends up being perfect looking, and doesn't cost that much.

During my first time there, I had them print ONE of the covers first, just so I could check to see if it came out right. You don't want them to print 10 covers, then discover that the person isn't doing something right, then have to have them print all 10 over again. However, in my case, there's never been an issue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's a crap shoot. Some stores won't even bat an eye, others will treat you like a felon for even trying.

Good to hear that you've got a reliable resource for it

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't think the people knew what the heck I was printing. Some of the older ladies have probably never played a video game. I did make sure the file names were generic ("file 1") so they wouldn't attract attention. Over time, I was able to put my entire GBA collection in cases.