Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SNES diserves a better Emulator!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Yeah dev choices can be VERY strange. As I understand things... For whatever reason SNES decided to offer native hardware transparencies, while even Saturn didn't. Not that creative programmers couldn't find a software way!
    Lum fan.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    lol

oh man, that's priceless. Never knew the super nintendo entertainment system was the best emulator of it's time.

oh crap i meant ''console''

but that's no fucking big deal.
    Last edited by 16bit_chainsaw; 01-15-2012 at 10:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What's worse, is the OSX versions of BSNES ( and NESTOPIA) make you save the save state and or load it instead of being able to press a function key to make an instant save state (like KEGA).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    No, it's the other way around. Developers didn't live in some magical bubble in which they had no clue how their games would be played. Developers, if they were smart at least, would design their games based around a non-pixel perfect display. If they intended for their games to be viewed in a pixel-perfect manner, then they were just plain stupid because everyone knew that wasn't the reality.

That's why, for example, you see weird checkerboard-like meshes in some games when emulating or playing in RGB. On the expected output (RF, composite, s-video, whatever), where it would be blurred some, that pattern would look like a transparency effect. That effect is lost with a pixel-perfect display.

Personally, when I emulate (which is rare), I don't use any filters because they make games look like smeared crap (and completely unlike how they'd look on the real hardware too). But when I use my consoles, I don't at all feel like I'm getting the "wrong" experience by playing in composite or whatever.
    Yeah! Super Castlevania IV looks like ass, if it isn't slightly blurred.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by 16bit_chainsaw View Post
    oh crap i meant ''console''

but that's no fucking big deal.
    You mean it's not diserving?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This thread is a pretty big troll. I am just curious as to why he chose to do this trolling on DP, rather than some emulator based forum (unless he has been banned from there).
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I haven't looked into SNES emulation in a long time, but I used to use ZSNES. I haven't actually tried it yet, but there is a version of ZSNES for Homebrew Channel that seems to be the popular way to emulate SNES games on the Wii.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Bloodreign75

There's a great emulator out there, it's called the real thing. None of the issues emulation can bring. No it isn't free, but you get what you pay/don't pay for.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When you mod a Snes to run RGB and connect it to an LCD monitor, you'll see that it looks identical to what you get with Snes9X or Bsnes. Snes9x is a lot more accurate than people tend to give it credit for, on the other hand Zsnes I have always found to be the least accurate of the three but somehow it remains a fan favorite.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Pr3tty F1y's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

To the OP:

Like it or not, BSNES is *the* best SNES emulator. It is as accurate as you are going to get (thus why it probably doesn't run well on your machine). Accuracy comes at a cost, and that cost is more CPU horsepower needed to sync the timing of all of the original components.

BSNES easily tops KEGA Fusion (also a fine emulator) in terms of accuracy.

If you don't like it, then you have three choices. 1.) Use original hardware, 2.) Code your own emulator, or 3.) use another emulator and deal with it. Personally, I'm not a fan of the full number of vertical scanlines being displayed in BSNES 0.83 and after (and I'm too unskilled and lazy to figure out how to remove them), so I still use version 0.82 when I want some SNES goodness. However, that's my problem and an not an issue with the emulator. It is very, very, very accurate. Period.

Undoubtedly original hardware is the best, but when that's not an option or your preference, BSNES is the way to go. Hell, it's even open source so you can alter it to your heart's content or at least use the emulation core in other applications (see SSNES).

The additional benefit of emulation at this degree of accuracy is also documentation. I'm very much looking forward to the upcoming SD2SNES cart that, without the work of Byuu and others, would not be a reality. It's awesome that after more than 20 years, the limits of the SNES are still being pushed. I mean, there is currently a homebrew version of the FMV arcade classic Road Blaster (available on Sega CD) being ported to the SNES.

But it just sounds like someone pissed in the OP's breakfast. In the end, if you're going to complain about an emulator, think of it this way: You get what you pay for.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    No, it's the other way around. Developers didn't live in some magical bubble in which they had no clue how their games would be played. Developers, if they were smart at least, would design their games based around a non-pixel perfect display. If they intended for their games to be viewed in a pixel-perfect manner, then they were just plain stupid because everyone knew that wasn't the reality.

That's why, for example, you see weird checkerboard-like meshes in some games when emulating or playing in RGB. On the expected output (RF, composite, s-video, whatever), where it would be blurred some, that pattern would look like a transparency effect. That effect is lost with a pixel-perfect display.

Personally, when I emulate (which is rare), I don't use any filters because they make games look like smeared crap (and completely unlike how they'd look on the real hardware too). But when I use my consoles, I don't at all feel like I'm getting the "wrong" experience by playing in composite or whatever.
    Also, the Satellaview restricted all of it's video to composite.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

If your PC can't run BSNES, you have more problems than just that application.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

For anyone suggesting the real thing: I find that even the GameCube RCA cable does a pretty good job to improve the graphical quality of games. That's what I use (connected via a RCA splitter box, no less) and SNES games look nice on my 32-inch HDTV.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    If your PC can't run BSNES, you have more problems than just that application.
    What is that supposed to mean?
    The emulator has pretty steep requirements as far as CPU is concerned.
    My PC can't handle it.
    I guess that means I've got some serious problems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Derp.

I love BSNES, Actraiser sounds great on it.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Jaye View Post
    For anyone suggesting the real thing: I find that even the GameCube RCA cable does a pretty good job to improve the graphical quality of games. That's what I use (connected via a RCA splitter box, no less) and SNES games look nice on my 32-inch HDTV.
    Improve compared to what? RCA/Composite is pretty much the bare minimum. Was there even an RF adapter for GC?

Also, it's not going to do anything for SNES that an ordinary SNES RCA cable does, because they're the same exact thing (also same as N64). Yeah, it'll be better than an RF box, but that's pretty much a given.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    Improve compared to what? RCA/Composite is pretty much the bare minimum. Was there even an RF adapter for GC?
    ... kinda. There was this:

and you stuck an old-school RF cable onto that. There's lots of third party ones, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Yep, that was originally used on the N64 (where it was sold separately). It seems the N64 was the first Nintendo console to only include a composite AV cable in the box.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Yeah as for other cables, to our knowledge Nintendo NEVER released to retail an s-video cable that specifically by name had N64 branded packaging. You had no choice but use a SNES one.
    Last edited by theclaw; 01-17-2012 at 05:27 PM.
    Lum fan.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's an interesting article about SNES emulation and why it's so hard to do.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...s-emulator.ars