Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Retrogaming vs. modern gaming: then and now

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    Heh. I actually think gaming went to crap after the Xbox was released. Consolized FPS games arrived and stayed. But that's just me.
    Has the raging popularity of the modern console FPS corrupted other genres? The "realism", trite campaign mode writing and ultra competitiveness of it all, bleeding into the rest of the scene? Sure, popularity alone means there are fewer Katamaris than CoDs in development but the popular game designs generally tire themselves out eventually. FPS games seem to influence each other more than anything, anyway.

The bonfire of love that burns for console RPGs, on the other hand, has seen RPG elements inserted into just about everything, perhaps in a contrived effort to make the average game more hooky and rewarding. I'd say the proliferation of an RPG flavour across console gaming marks the era in a more meaningful way than the hugeness of the FPS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    I think that's where the magic of indie games comes from. They've rolled back the clock to the days when a small team of passionate people could make the kinds of games that they wanted to play. That's a far cry from the spirit-crushing sweatshops that most games come from these days.
    It's kind of funny how those in the indie developer community and actual gamers each view "indie" slightly differently. Sure, there are those indie developers that do what you describe...and usually they're the ones getting the media attention, but most indie developers make what most people here would consider shovelware...and they are doing it solely because that's what markets dictate...just like the AAA game studios but with a much smaller budget. Can't afford to make a Bioshock clone? Then make a Mystery Case Files clone.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by crazyjackcsa View Post
    The effect of filtering plays a role as well. Over the years, the junk sinks to the bottom, and you're left with the best 10%. Suddenly that becomes indicative of the whole generation. It's easy to how this generation will be viewed if you only keep the top 10%. Best. Generation. Ever.
    This is how I've always felt. No one talks about the original Playstation in terms of Cardinal Syn, Blasto, and Hooters Road Trip: it's all Final Fantasy VII, Metal Gear Solid and Symphony of the Night.

When all is said and done, this generation has brought us Little Big Planet, Bioshock, Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2, Demons Souls and Dark Souls, Skyrim, Uncharted 1-3, Mass Effect, Dead Rising, Assassin's Creed, Portal and Portal 2, Rock Band, Red Dead Redemption... So far, it's looking pretty good to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A couple of weeks ago we got an Xbox 360. It's been interesting checking out some of the "evolved" games and seeing how they stack up against the originals.

Out of the Atari evolved games that I have checked out (BattleZone, Asteroids, Tempest, Star Raiders and Missile Command) I do not like any of them.

Pac-Man CE DX has been my favorite. It's an excellent update and addictive game.

Galaga Legions I would give it a "C" grade.

Daytona USA is a good conversion despite what people think of the graphics. I think the controls are really good.

I've played some of BurgerTime World Tour and it's not bad. I prefer the original over this version.

I don't play any of the other games like Sky Rim, Call of Duty et al - they take too long to play.
    VectorGamer.com
    YouTube: TheRetrocade
    @RealVectorGamer

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Drixxel View Post
    Has the raging popularity of the modern console FPS corrupted other genres? The "realism", trite campaign mode writing and ultra competitiveness of it all, bleeding into the rest of the scene? Sure, popularity alone means there are fewer Katamaris than CoDs in development but the popular game designs generally tire themselves out eventually. FPS games seem to influence each other more than anything, anyway.

The bonfire of love that burns for console RPGs, on the other hand, has seen RPG elements inserted into just about everything, perhaps in a contrived effort to make the average game more hooky and rewarding. I'd say the proliferation of an RPG flavour across console gaming marks the era in a more meaningful way than the hugeness of the FPS.
    It hasn't exactly "corrupted" them, no. But the publishers don't fund games in other genres because they'd rather spend money on an easy profit. And I'd call it less of an "influence" and more of a "we gotta do the same shit that other company does!".

Note, I'm a PC player, but I'm not anti-consoles. I just loathe the consolized FPS genre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i will never own a modern system,nor will the classics ever die.
    it doesn't seem to matter for "age" or "nostalgia" sakes as ive seen 12yrs olds doing nes reviews!
    ive seen my friends kids eyes pop into the back of their skulls at the presentation of NES and SNES.
    i asked a 6yr my wife was baby sitting if she like her new mario ds game or mario 1 better? she said "the one you have,THE ONE YOU HAVE!,i want one!" no joke 6! and turned down her new gameboy for the classics!
    her dad got kinda mad because she asked him to buy one off me lol

with new games being the blatant crap they are, i see no reason why "retro" doesn't win this VS.match!