Thread: Mass Effect 3 isn't launching on Steam, requires Origin [Joystiq]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lightbulb Mass Effect 3 isn't launching on Steam, requires Origin [Joystiq]

Mass Effect 3 is yet another entry in EA's stable of PC games that can't be purchased via Steam. At least "initially," that is, according to BioWare community manager Chris Priestly, who posted a variety of FAQ answers on the EA division's forums late last week. "During initial release, Mass Effect 3 will be available on Origin and a number of other 3rd party digital retailers, but not on Steam at this time," he said.

Unsurprisingly, this also means that all PC versions of Mass Effect 3 will also require EA's Origin service to launch the game -- regardless of where you buy it -- just like Battlefield 3 before it. And despite EA's wording, which implies the game may end up on Steam at some point after launch, we're doubtful that'll be anytime soon.

Alongside the confirmation that ME3 won't end up on Steam, Priestly goes on to list the issues his company sees with launching on Steam ("restrictive terms of service," BioWare claims). Given Steam's ubiquity across the PC gaming landscape, not to mention the vast majority of its clients not complaining about said terms of service, we're gonna go ahead and wager that the terms aren't changing anytime soon.Mass Effect 3 isn't launching on Steam, requires Origin originally appeared on Joystiq on Mon, 16 Jan 2012 13:15:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In a related story, today I found out that I'm never playing Mass Effect 3 on PC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never played mass effect and never intend to to so yay for me, the uninterested consumer strikes again.