Thread: Is it a sin to stack SNES games on top of each other flat?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Is it a sin to stack SNES games on top of each other flat?

Hello again,

I recently purchased three bookshelves to put my collection on display. Two of the bookshelves are going to be dedicated to solely SNES games, as I have over 700 now, (getting close to completing the library - I'm so excited!). My real question is: Is it that bad to stack the games on top of each other flat?

I have heard people say that doing this will cause the labels to imprint, possibly causing damage due to the weight. I personally have not had issues with this in the past, but I have heard a lot of different things from different people. Have any of you had issues damaging your carts in this way? Sliding them up sideways seems far less convenient. Not only are they a lot harder to read this way, but I can't really utilize the vertical space on the bookshelf if I decide to do this. Each space between the shelves is approx. 1 - 2 ft., so most of the space would be wasted unless I stack them on top of each other sideways, which just sounds like a mess. If you took a game out, all three rows would slide down sideways!

I know that the best possible solution would be to build specialty shelves that allow each row to be stack sideways with many tightly packed shelves per unit, but that just isn't what I'm working with.

If I were to stack the flat, about how many can I stack before I reach the "max," i.e. the maximum number before label damage is possible. Considering the shelves, I think I'm looking at stacking 15 or so on top of each other per row.

Please let me know any advice that you think might help, and game on!
    -Chris
    No, I'm Mr. Big Lucky Flavor!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You might want to buy some clearbags to put your cartridges in and then stack em.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

I honestly don't see anything wrong with stacking them flat. I also don't think that would damage the label in any way. Personally I think you have more to worry about leaving the connector exposed without a dust cover. If you're that concerned about protecting the label I would suggest storing them in cases. That would also protect the connector as well as the manual. Then you could stack them any which way you wanted.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

You have broken the 11th commandment, thou shall not stack SNES carts!

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

You sure you're not confusing loose SNES carts with boxed SNES games? I've never heard anyone claim that damage would result from stacking loose carts. If you stack boxes, then, yeah, with enough weight they could get a little squashed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Considering the average SNES game weighs 3-4 ounces you'll be putting about 3.5 to 5 pounds of weight on the bottom cartridge in your stack. The cartridges are strong enough to handle the weight, but you might damage the label if you drag the bottom cartridge out without lifting up the top of the stack first. If you choose to stack this way, be sure to leave enough room to easily take the top of a stack out before accessing the cartridges on bottom.

Personally I've been stacking this way for over a decade now, for the same reasons you listed, and haven't noticed any problems.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

bag'em and tag'em! lol or get holders and bag them, i have a 5 foot tower of "stacked" carts their all bagged to protect them from me ever having to blister my fingers cleaning them again,but glad to see there is another method to my madness i was unaware of lol if they didnt get dirty i might have stacked them un-bagged and screwed my labels! lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buzz_n64 View Post
    You have broken the 11th commandment, thou shall not stack SNES carts!
    I thought this was the 12th commandment. Guess thats what I get for cutting bible school.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    You sure you're not confusing loose SNES carts with boxed SNES games? I've never heard anyone claim that damage would result from stacking loose carts. If you stack boxes, then, yeah, with enough weight they could get a little squashed.
    Thats what I was thinking too. And I actually still stack my boxed Snes games but theres only 7 and because they are factory sealed they have a little extra durability. I haven't had the need to stack my loose Snes carts but I stack my loose Genesis carts on top of each other and haven't had any problems with that set up.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I stack all my SNES games and have had no problem, but on a related note...How do you display your loose N64 carts? I almost want to bag them so I can add a label to the outside of the bag.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Who cares? 99.99% of cartridges are easily replaceable. I can buy you a complete SNES cart set today for a low 4 figure pricetag. I wouldn't worry about taking care of your stuff unless you owned boxes and manuals, which are the collectable part of games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

stack them...done it for years, and it has not hurt a thing.

Junker Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    yoyotheyoshi
    Steam
    aryoshie

Absolutely nothing wrong with stacking your cartridges, my friend. I, personally, prefer having them on their sides so that it's easier to get what you want without having to lift anything on top and I think it goes for better presentation, that's just me, but again, there's nothing wrong with stacking them. They're built strong enough to where the weight won't hurt the cartridge on the bottom.
    "Nothing can beat the music of hundreds of voices screaming in unison!" ~ Kefka

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like the idea of bagging them and tagging them. Does anyone know where I can buy about 750 bags for the SNES carts? I have a small few bagged up that are the perfect size, but I can't even remember where I got them. Hopefully doing so won't break the bank.

Bagging them sounds like a good process anyways. I recently put up the two bookshelves and filled them. It looks great. However, now I need to go through and inspect each one. There are still a lot of stickers I need to get off, writing I need to remove, and some discolored backs that I need to change. This will be tedious, but at some point I hope to go through and clean and test each game. I also need to double check my master list and see if I have made any cataloging errors, (already noticed one - had two copies of Madden 95 and 97 each but no copy of 96. It is so hard to keep track of those sports games. They all seem the same.)

Now that I am nearing completing the collection, I want to got through and make note of the ones that have torn or damaged labels as well. I plan to replace those copies over time. I'm kind of glad that I still have that ahead of me actually. I rather enjoy going out and looking for games, but as I only need about 21 more to complete my collection, going out has been far less fruitful and I have been shopping more for them online, which is far more expensive and far less fun. I like collecting for SNES and it feels like it is kinda almost "over," which is kinda sad in some ways. I'm happy to be almost done, but questing for new games is something I don't really want to give up. It is a fun hobby. If I can find replacements for 100 or so labels, at least I'll have something to do. Maybe I'll just bag the ones that are in solid condition, that way I can see the obvious "non-shiny" ones that need replacing.

Thanks for the info guys. I put it to good use, but please let me know where I can find a lot of those SNES bags.
    Take care,
    Chris
    No, I'm Mr. Big Lucky Flavor!

Play me a Newfie jig! markusman64ds's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    I thought this was the 12th commandment. Guess thats what I get for cutting bible school.
    It is. Fans of the Nostalgia Critic would know the 11th commandment: Tom and Jerry don't talk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    hawtxdawg360

Quote Originally Posted by cheesystick View Post
    I like the idea of bagging them and tagging them. Does anyone know where I can buy about 750 bags for the SNES carts? I have a small few bagged up that are the perfect size, but I can't even remember where I got them. Hopefully doing so won't break the bank.
    My suggestion would be to check at your local comics shop and see if they have any TV-Guide sized bags. Failing that, Google is your friend.
    Don't go away mad....just go away!