Thread: Razer tests the waters with Project Fiona at CES [Joystiq]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lightbulb Razer tests the waters with Project Fiona at CES [Joystiq]

Razer's Project Fiona looks just like you'd expect a prototype to look. Despite a thick but standard tablet-style body and 10.1 inch touchscreen, it has some unfinished aluminum struts sticking out of either side, with not-quite-perfect joysticks and buttons placed unceremoniously on the top. In short, it's a manufactured idea and not a real product just yet. And Razer's purpose at CES last week was to judge, reps told me, just how good that idea actually was.

Playing with the Project Fiona tablet doesn't feel quite right, but not because the games don't work. The Intel Core i7 processor powers a full Windows 7 installation (though it will eventually run Windows 8, says Razer), and the two prototypes at the show had full PC games on them, including the excellent Warhammer 40K: Space Marine. It ran quite well, but it was still difficult to play -- those joysticks and buttons just aren't fully in the right places. My thumbs did find and learn to use them after a few minutes of play, but it's unclear why, when Razer is already borrowing the "console controller" setup, the buttons are so strangely placed.

After about twenty minutes of handling and playing with Project Fiona, I came to the biggest question about the prototype: Why?Continue reading Razer tests the waters with Project Fiona at CES
    Razer tests the waters with Project Fiona at CES originally appeared on Joystiq on Mon, 16 Jan 2012 21:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

damn impressive. However its also damn expensive. If I ever buy a tablet it will likely be a cheap android or if I splurge an ipad. As cool as this is its too expensive and I'd be fine with a 3ds and a tablet to mee is for media but not so much gaming

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It could be interesting - particularly if they made those arms detachable, and maybe even interchangeable with other configurations - but they still have a lot of work to do as far as ergonomics are concerned. It looks like it was designed by someone who was born without hands.