Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: and the System Hoarding continues (Sega Saturn this time)

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Default and the System Hoarding continues (Sega Saturn this time)

Well okay, the true story is a friend was tired of it, and decided to just give a Saturn to me because he thought I'd get more use out of it.

The local game store has a lot of Saturn games (including Galactic Attack and Enemy Zero), and my friend also gave me D.

I don't know if this is a model 1 or a model 2 Saturn though. The first thing that amazed me on seeing it is how HUGE it is compared to pretty much any other console ever. Thing is bigger than the NES. Anyway, mine is black, has a power, lid open, and "access" button. It appears to not save the date and time settings, which I'm guessing means I need to replace a CR2032 battery somewhere (anyone wanna confirm that before I go breaking it?)

I would love to play it, but my friend only included an RF switch with it and... I can't stand RF picture quality. I've already ordered a set of AV cables online, but I'm wondering if I should spring for those "gold-plated" ones published by Retro Bit?

Anyway, if there's anything at all I should know about the Saturn in terms of care and maintenance and what games to look for (I've read Racketboy's articles but feel free to name anything at all) or ways to play import games that don't involve modding, let me know. Thanks.

Now if only I had a Game Gear with all the caps replaced, I'd have pretty much every Sega system that matters.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You can play imports w/ an action replay cartridge. There around the 20 dollar range or so.
    Saturn definately has some great import games like the Street Fighters, and the shmups.

For U.S. games I recommend:
    Panzer Dragoon Trilogy
    Nights
    Shining Force III
    Dragon Force
    Albert Odyssey
    Magic Night Rayearth
    Shining Widom
    Sonic Jam
    Herc's Adventures
    Lunacy
    Resident Evil
    Tomb Raider
    Burning Rangers
    Steep Slope Sliders
    World Series Baseball

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Wasn't Shining Force III never finished or something? (or parts 2 and 3 never translated rather)

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First of all..yes you have to replace the battery and theres a small access panel in the back that you just pull out to replace the battery, nothing you can go breaking. This effects the system settings and the internal save game data.

Also if you buy the 4mb memory cart you can play imports no problem, or theres the ST Key specifically for playing imports..the other ones..i think its just a bug in them allowing you to play

Shinning force 3 wasnt finished in english but if you know japanese they finished it there

Speaking of which..if your into importing..then the Saturn will become one of your favorite consoles..the U.S. only got to see 200 games (take or give) and japan saw upwards of around 650.

Some good U.S games to find..that i can come up with right now..trust me there are plenty

Panzer Dragoon
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei
    Panzer Dragoon Saga
    Guardian Heroes
    Shining Force III
    Astal
    D
    Enemy Zero
    Magic Knights Rayearth
    Sonic 3D Blast
    Nights Into Dreams
    Fighting Vipers
    Virtual On
    Three Dirty Dwarves
    Burning Rangers
    Albert Odyssey
    Last edited by Genesaturn; 01-25-2012 at 05:44 PM.
    Currently attempting to complete my Genesis collection! Always looking for hard to find complete games! Send me a PM
    Please feel free to follow my collecting blog here! http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/

Captain Caveman (and Son!) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    My XBOX is dead, not live.
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend
    Friendless :(

Seconded on the battery. Easy fix. And all but one of my Saturn faves are listed here. Legend of Oasis is literally the only RPGish game I can tolerate from 16 bits and up. It rocks.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Buy an S-Video cable. Sega released official ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    True Rush Fan

I don't know if this is a model 1 or a model 2 Saturn though.
    This is an easy one to distinguish... Oval buttons on console is a model 1, Round buttons is a model 2.
    WANT LIST:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...older=Wishlist

ALSO WANTED: Dreamcast Sports Edition empty box

FOR SALE/TRADE:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...r+Sale%2FTrade

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know if this is a model 1 or a model 2 Saturn though. The first thing that amazed me on seeing it is how HUGE it is compared to pretty much any other console ever. Thing is bigger than the NES. Anyway, mine is black, has a power, lid open, and "access" button. It appears to not save the date and time settings, which I'm guessing means I need to replace a CR2032 battery somewhere (anyone wanna confirm that before I go breaking it?).
    It sounds like a Model 1. I don't think the Model 2 has the "access" light. It is actually a Reset button that's near the "access" light.

I use a S-video cable with mine, and the picture is fantastic.
    Sega Saturn USB DataLink - www.GamingEnterprisesInc.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

My TV doesn't have an S-Video jack. It does have ports for AV cables tho. Can't wait to start playing D as soon as my AV cables come in...

Yep, its a model 1. I recall someone here saying that means they're easier to mod, but in my experience, mods often break consoles, that's why I look for non-mod solutions. The Action Replay sounds good, but what about for games that require a RAM cart (I've heard there's some fighting game that requires you to use the particular RAM cart it comes with), does the Action Replay allow you to plug in another cart on top of it?

Found the battery. Wow, this will be easy peasy.

Whoa, 200 games? For some reason I thought the U.S. got less than half of that. Definitely gonna be keeping my eyes peeled.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Come now, the system isn't that big. It's taller than the Ps1, but it isn't as wide. The N64 is about the same footprint, but is slightly shorter too. It's smaller than the Xbox, 360, and Ps3.

And they don't break, ever, most rock solid system I've ever had.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crazyjackcsa View Post
    Come now, the system isn't that big. It's taller than the Ps1, but it isn't as wide. The N64 is about the same footprint, but is slightly shorter too. It's smaller than the Xbox, 360, and Ps3.

And they don't break, ever...
    This is an exaggeration, of course (I've had two with issues over the years). They are pretty sturdy by (original) PlayStation standards though.
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 01-26-2012 at 10:31 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SP4C3FL34
    PSN
    ArrowShockwave

Quote Originally Posted by Genesaturn View Post
    Speaking of which..if your into importing..then the Saturn will become one of your favorite consoles..the U.S. only got to see 200 games (take or give) and japan saw upwards of around 650.
    Actually, the US got just shy of 250 and Japan got around 1075 (from what is known so far). There is quite a bit to be had. And it is the greatest console ever.
    Be Attitude For Gains...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Wasn't Shining Force III never finished or something? (or parts 2 and 3 never translated rather)
    Yup part one of SF3 got a released here but not 2&3 though i heard,part 2&3 got a fan translation.
    http://sf3trans.shiningforcecentral.com

Still the down side to play burns games with a patch you would need a saturn with a modchip in it.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

The action replay I have doubles as the RAM cart. Cyber Bots and XvsSF run clean and right. They're twenty bucks on EBay or Play Asia.

Saturn is a hell of a system. Buy those batteries in stock, though. They die quick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

The best import option is the Action Replay 4+1.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    The best import option is the Action Replay 4+1.
    Yup, that's the one.

Pretzel (Level 4) understatement's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    Saturn is a hell of a system. Buy those batteries in stock, though. They die quick.

You don’t really need system batteries if you have an Action Replay, Game Shark, or some memory card do you? IIRC the system battery is there just to hold time/date and saves. Is there any game that uses the system clock for anything game braking if it’s not there? As far as saves are concerned the system memory is lacking to say the least, it can save about 5~10 games unless one of the games is Dragon Force then that’s about all system can save so not a big deal if you lose the ability to keep a save.

Just remember to transfer your saves with the Gameshark (and AR? I think It’s like the GS with the way it backups the save but won’t save directly to it) before you power off the system.
    My Ebay Feedback My DP Feedback
    VVV Work in Progress VVV

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    Just remember to transfer your saves with the Gameshark (and AR? I think It’s like the GS with the way it backups the save but won’t save directly to it) before you power off the system.
    That's the thing though: I WON'T remember to do that. Since 99% of the games I play don't require it, it hasn't become a habit.

Also, CR2032 batteries can be gotten in cheap five packs on Amazon. I think I will stock up, since I keep running into consoles lately that just love the things.

Pretzel (Level 4) understatement's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's the thing though: I WON'T remember to do that. Since 99% of the games I play don't require it, it hasn't become a habit.

Also, CR2032 batteries can be gotten in cheap five packs on Amazon. I think I will stock up, since I keep running into consoles lately that just love the things.

If that’s the case I would suggest a regular memory card so you can access it in games and save to it directly from the game (unless the AR can do this then that for sure).

I’m just saying not to rely on the system memory to much or what happened to me (I had about 6 game saves on the system and no MC, GS, or AR when I got Dragon Force put it in got a good way through it and went to save but couldn’t, I had to delete 3 other saves to make room or lose what I had played of DF) will happen to you.
    My Ebay Feedback My DP Feedback
    VVV Work in Progress VVV

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I actually have an Interact Memory Card Plus. I got it years ago from a pawn shop, thinking it was for the Sega CD (the size and shape should've set me straight, but eh, I was a kid back then). Dunno if it actually works, but I'll find out when my AV cables come in.