Thread: Samsung GXE1395 TV

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Samsung GXE1395 TV

I picked one of these up yesterday at a Goodwill, always wanted one but have only come across a couple of them over the years so I decided to give in. I've been on the lookout for a good tv for the classics (we all know the big LCD just doesn't cut it for retro gaming) and I thought it would be a good fit. Just need to find a place down in the cave to set it up.

Anyone else have one of these? Any thoughts or impressions about it or its durability?

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jwlowry View Post
    I picked one of these up yesterday at a Goodwill, always wanted one but have only come across a couple of them over the years so I decided to give in. I've been on the lookout for a good tv for the classics (we all know the big LCD just doesn't cut it for retro gaming) and I thought it would be a good fit. Just need to find a place down in the cave to set it up.

Anyone else have one of these? Any thoughts or impressions about it or its durability?
    I don't own one myself, but a local game store has one set up and they are pretty cool. I remember first reading about it and how badly I wanted one. From the small time I've spent playing on it at the store I like it, and the owner really only has good things to say about it. Back in the day I believe it launched with a $300 price tag. The sound is really nice on it and I think the best aspect along with the numerous inputs on the back. Most older tv's had the same amounts of inputs...1...maybe 2...this one has several including more than 1 s-video on it i believe. Great find at a Goodwill, can I ask what you picked it up for?
    Currently attempting to complete my Genesis collection! Always looking for hard to find complete games! Send me a PM
    Please feel free to follow my collecting blog here! http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Rylin Sakai
    PSN
    RSakai

At first, I was like, "wtf kinda TV are they talking about here?"

Then I googled, and my heart jumped. I totally forgot all about these, always wanted one. Cool find man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Genesaturn View Post
    I don't own one myself, but a local game store has one set up and they are pretty cool. I remember first reading about it and how badly I wanted one. From the small time I've spent playing on it at the store I like it, and the owner really only has good things to say about it. Back in the day I believe it launched with a $300 price tag. The sound is really nice on it and I think the best aspect along with the numerous inputs on the back. Most older tv's had the same amounts of inputs...1...maybe 2...this one has several including more than 1 s-video on it i believe. Great find at a Goodwill, can I ask what you picked it up for?
    There's a model with s-video? I was pretty sure all of these only had composite as the best quality input.

__________________________________________________ ___

[ Severely Outdated Game Collection Pics ]
    [ My Multi-screen MADNESS!! ]

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, it just has composite (and RF) inputs. I always wanted one but the $300 price at the time was too much since I was a broke college student when these things came out. That said, the $20 I paid at Goodwill seems to be well worth it. Looking forward to pairing it with the JVC X'Eye, that beast looks horrible on my LCD.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah you're right, just got a look at the back of it and for some reason I thought it had S-Video. A shame it doesn't .
    Currently attempting to complete my Genesis collection! Always looking for hard to find complete games! Send me a PM
    Please feel free to follow my collecting blog here! http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Is there something special about this thing? If not, why not get a regular CRT with at least S-Video inputs?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    Is there something special about this thing? If not, why not get a regular CRT with at least S-Video inputs?
    It was designed with games in mind and has better contrast and color than regular sets. Not to mention the built in stereo system.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    It was designed with games in mind and has better contrast and color than regular sets. Not to mention the built in stereo system.
    I see. That being the case I don't understand why they left out S-Video. I wonder how it would compare to a good set like a Trinitron.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I've had one of these for years now; got it off a co-worker.

I had no idea these things were at desirable anymore. I remember we had one set up as a demo unit at Funcoland for a really long time. I fondly recall playing Metal Gear Solid on it for the first time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I remember wanting one too back in the day, but it was pretty expensive. I would say these are still desirable (for the right price) for it's connection to being a gaming specific display and of course nostalgia/collector factors.... the typical, couldn't afford it back then but I can now!

__________________________________________________ ___

[ Severely Outdated Game Collection Pics ]
    [ My Multi-screen MADNESS!! ]

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I remember EB selling these back in the day, but between the small screen, high price, and lack of s-video, I never really wanted one. Seemed to me like a good idea (gaming TV, YEAH!!!) but with a lot of flaws in the implementation.

I did like the way the speakers could close around the screen. I sometimes take a TV (or monitor) with me on vacations to game on at night and get paranoid something will happen to the screen during transportation (though it never does). This would give me peace of mind at least.