Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Was SEGA CD Voice Acting So Bad?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Why Was SEGA CD Voice Acting So Bad?

I just started playing Keio flying Squadron and man, thank god I was using the headphones.

Is there a reason so many games with voice acting were so god awful in the 90s?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Play something like Popful Mail and see it was the exact opposite.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Sega CD has had some of the best voice acting of all time! See Popful Mail, Adventures of Willy Beamish, Snatcher, Cobra, etc. I always though the PSX had some of the worse voice acting ever because of the low budgets of many games. Really, it all came down to the budgets. Video gaming companies often did not feel like hiring quality voice actors was an important part of producing (especially for localization) of a game. Nowadays it's kind of expected.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I chalk it up to a mixture of a new medium and low budgets. People would be impressed that there was any voice at all that they didn't care about how horribly it was acted. This is also how FMV games lived so long.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it just comes down to it being generally harder (and more expensive) to get good voice talent compared to good graphical artists/programmers. You generally have to go outside the development house to get voice actors, unless you're huge like Bethesda, or are willing to make a truly horrible localization like Chaos Wars.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SloshyCape0

This could of all been solved if they only had ONE voice actor... Bruce Campbell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Shawn View Post
    This could of all been solved if they only had ONE voice actor... Bruce Campbell.
    Mike Reynolds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Shawn View Post
    Bobcat Goldthwait.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

It's probably because the target demographic for most games were children, and children will love your game even if its bad (see: shovelware games on DS and Wii)

Add to it that game developers at the time didn't have the budgetary means to scout of voice talent, so they often resorted to local talent and/or their own staff for voice work.

It should also be noted that this in no way only affected English games - Check otu the MegaCD Lunar: The Silver Star. The English voice work is pretty weak, but its nothing compared to the Japanese "effort".

Also don't think bad voice acting is a phenomenon exclusive to the Sega CD - check out Ys Books 1 & 2 on TuroGraphfx16 CD, Resident Evil on Playstation and Saturn, and even many PS2 games have hilariously bad voice acting such as two of my favorites, Robot Alchemic Drive and Castle of Shikigami 2.

Games these days have voice acting budgets that exceed entire game budgets back in the day.

But all this said, there ARE some games for these older systems that have good voice acting!
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Come on, Resident Evil 1? And there's got to be worse than that out there.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

I'm sorry, the console that gave us this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP9yYgzRo5Q

...can't be called on bad voice work.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I was going to say... it's not a surprise that one of the first consoles to feature games with voice acting would have games with BAD voice acting. It's a surprise when we still get games with horrible voice acting *cough*SakuraWars*cough* or how awful the voice acting could be several generations of systems later (play some Tales of Destiny 2 on the PS1, for instance).
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post

The only thing you need now is the Mega-LD release for phenomenal video too!

Anyway, I think there are plenty of horrible voice acted games for the Sega CD, but there are also some real gems. Popful Mail was mentioned which I think they did an amazing job on. I'm actually more forgiving for bad voice acting on the Sega CD since the format was in it's infancy there, where as by they time they reached the Playstation/Saturn there was really no excuse for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    Also don't think bad voice acting is a phenomenon exclusive to the Sega CD - check out Ys Books 1 & 2 on TuroGraphfx16 CD
    Dude! Are you really suggesting that Ys I & II had bad voice acting? I guess it is opinion afterall, but Ys was known for having some of the best voice acting of its time. They went all out and hired a full team of great voice actors for that game.

Alan Oppenheimer - Voice of Darm also voiced characters for He-Man, Transformers, The Big O, God of War II, etc.
    Michael Bell - Voice of Dark Fact also voiced characters for G.I. Joe, Transformers, Pirates of Dark Water, Legacy of Kain etc.
    Jim Cummings - Voice of Dalles also voiced characters for Rescue Rangers, TaleSpin, Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, Mass Effect 2, etc.
    Thomas Hayden Church - Voice of Goban Toba. Hasn't done a lot of voice acting but has been in some cult movies.
    Debbi Derryberry - Voice of Feena also voiced characters for Toy Story 2, Tenchi Muyo, Life with Louie, No More Heroes, God of War III, etc.

Again, the quality of the voice acting is certainly ones opinion, but this is the first time i've ever heard it called out as being bad. To each their own I suppose.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith Storm View Post
    Dude! Are you really suggesting that Ys I & II had bad voice acting?
    I thought I and II had great voice acting for the time. . . Ys III (if I remember correctly) had terrible voice work.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post

I can do one better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiLLN5U9w2U
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It only makes sense that since the Sega CD was one of the first non-PC platforms to really utilize voice acting it would be rough. Big budget games back then didn't exist like they do now. But...regardless....I haven't ever stopped playing a game due to bad VA. If anything it adds an unintentional dimension of humor :P
    Currently attempting to complete my Genesis collection! Always looking for hard to find complete games! Send me a PM
    Please feel free to follow my collecting blog here! http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    E Nice Geo

Quote Originally Posted by wingzrow View Post
    I just started playing Keio flying Squadron and man, thank god I was using the headphones.

Is there a reason so many games with voice acting were so god awful in the 90s?
    I rather liiked the voice acting in Keio Flying Squadron. Rami was perfect for the brash ditz she was. The grandmother was a steroetypical voice for the role. Ok, Dr.Pon sounded a bit unusal but then again this is a super intelligent racoon with an IQ over 300. What should he sound like? Yeah a good deal sounded like they were reading the script one the first try but at least it was voiced with some passion, unlike Trouble Witches.

The whole game was like Parodius and I took the voice acting right along with it. The voices were campy, the music was great, the story was out there, the enemies were goofy, it all fit.
    Murk: We will bring you Bob Barker. We will bring you the limp and beaten body of Bob Barker! - BTVS

Strawberry (Level 2) tomaitheous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith Storm View Post
    Dude! Are you really suggesting that Ys I & II had bad voice acting? I guess it is opinion afterall, but Ys was known for having some of the best voice acting of its time. They went all out and hired a full team of great voice actors for that game.

Alan Oppenheimer - Voice of Darm also voiced characters for He-Man, Transformers, The Big O, God of War II, etc.
    Michael Bell - Voice of Dark Fact also voiced characters for G.I. Joe, Transformers, Pirates of Dark Water, Legacy of Kain etc.
    Jim Cummings - Voice of Dalles also voiced characters for Rescue Rangers, TaleSpin, Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, Mass Effect 2, etc.
    Thomas Hayden Church - Voice of Goban Toba. Hasn't done a lot of voice acting but has been in some cult movies.
    Debbi Derryberry - Voice of Feena also voiced characters for Toy Story 2, Tenchi Muyo, Life with Louie, No More Heroes, God of War III, etc.

Again, the quality of the voice acting is certainly ones opinion, but this is the first time i've ever heard it called out as being bad. To each their own I suppose.
    I'm sure it was just a mistake the poster's part and meant to say Ys III. I mean, how could one mention Ys I & II as bad voice acting and no mention of Ys III. Clearly a mistake

But yeah, I think every one of the voice actors except one from Ys I&II went on to do lots of other voice acting over the years.
    Tom: That third elephant is so elusive, ya know.
    NFG: Elephants are so unpredictable.
    Tom: Especially in groups of three.
    NFG: Two pairs of three, no less.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I would argue that the vast majority of voice acting in games (Japanese games that have been dubbed, to be specific) is bad. Even games that supposedly had a lot of effect put into their dubbing and have fans that claim the voice acting is good still usually make me cringe with their terrible acting and ridiculous voices, like in Lunar on PS1. The problem is that dubbing in games is still approached like they're doing a B-grade Saturday morning cartoon. I think it's pretty telling that the Metal Gear Solid series is basically the only Japanese game series where people outside of English-speaking countries actually want to listen to the English dub and give it prominence over the other languages since those games are basically the ONLY Japanese games with a truly excellent English track. Atlus is getting pretty close, though. When they actually put the budget into it, they do good work. The recent Persona games were largely pretty solid.

The Sega CD is unique, though, in that the native English acting is so cheesy and bad that it beats out any dubbing on the system in awfulness. But that's just acting period, not specifically voice acting.