0 Posts

Default Pokefami DX English Review

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

THANK THE GODS somebody learned to put the buttons in the right place!!! That by itself sells the console for me.
    Wants:
    Starflight Starmap and Code Wheel
    Starflight II Starmap
    Got these for sale or trade? PM ME!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll have to watch this later (on mobile atm) but from what I've seen from pictures and skimming the supaboy/duo p thread this might be the clone portable to beat. After nearly 8 years of "growing up" on the benheck forums though I'll always be an advocate for the make-your-own mentality but the two mediums are hardly comparable, so it will be nice to see a highly acceptable alternate commercial option.
    Last edited by wallydawg; 01-29-2012 at 09:46 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Great video!

How about these games

Pilotwings
    Donkey Kong Country 2
    Killer Instinct

KI for example doesn't play through my TriStar Super 8.

Nice to see Megaman 5 in your demo! lol if I put together a video I would've shown MM5 as well. Such a great undderrated (and overpriced) classic game.

You've ordered a RDP as well? I can't wait to hear your analysis on how it compares to the PFDX. You're probably right in that they're nearly if not completely identical internally and in terms of performance, but only you will be able to tell. Looking forward to hearing from you man.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    Great video!

How about these games

Pilotwings
    Donkey Kong Country 2
    Killer Instinct

KI for example doesn't play through my TriStar Super 8.

Nice to see Megaman 5 in your demo! lol if I put together a video I would've shown MM5 as well. Such a great undderrated (and overpriced) classic game.

You've ordered a RDP as well? I can't wait to hear your analysis on how it compares to the PFDX. You're probably right in that they're nearly if not completely identical internally and in terms of performance, but only you will be able to tell. Looking forward to hearing from you man.
    I'll test Pilotwings and Killer Instinct in just a few minutes and get back to you tomorrow morning (have to go to bed!); I don't own Donkey Kong Country 2 but the [!] ROM played fine through the Super Everdrive on the Pokefami DX. I'll get the cart eventually, though. I'm gonna have to test Killer Instinct through my Super 8 as well. Don't think I ever tried it.

Oh and yes, I re-preordered the red RDP...but I don't even want to get into that again. DasCheap.

p.s. I realized earlier today that you were the first person who subscribed to my channel after I posted my Super 8 review. So uh....awesome? lol.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PilotWings/Killer Instinct

Both titles played fine on the Pokefami DX, though Pilotwings had some graphical glitches when getting closer to the ground in the parachuting test - horizontal lines similar to what I've seen in some battles during Super Mario RPG.

Also, Killer Instinct did not run on my Super 8 either

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Excelent Review !!!!
    http://www.retrogaming.com.ar/

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cryog View Post
    Excelent Review !!!!
    Thanks! Also, because I know you were all worried about it, I found the stand at the office when I arrived this morning.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default some more quick pdx / rdp comparisons / observations

The RDP is getting close, for those of you waiting on the red model!

I wanted to post a few quick updates to my tests with the RetroGen adapter and the PDX last night. I mention the RDP because the first thing I noticed just adds more fuel to my theory that it's the same system as the Pokefami DX, re-branded.

So I was testing the RetroGen adapter on my HDTV last night and noticed some odd color problems at the top of the screen at the beginning of X-Men 2 (top half of the screen was pink. it went away after the opening stage.) I decided to see if it did the same thing when hooked up to my Pokefami DX and running to my HDTV. And, indeed, it did (though the output on the screen of the PDX looked great.) Then I thought, what if I try using the composite cable that came with the Pokefami DX, instead of the one that came with the RetroGen adapter? So I went to switch them out and realized - just like the stand and the external controller adapter - it's the same EXACT cable.

Anyway. One other observation: rather than running the video cable from the RetroGen adapter directly to the TV, I decided instead to run it from the Pokefami DX to the TV. As I suspected, it worked, and the pink stuff was gone from the screen. But, as I expected, the output was much darker than it should have been. I wonder if there's any way to tweak the brightness from the Pokefami DX's video out? Anyone have any ideas?

Also, I bought a Sonic Classics 3-in-1 cartridge last night (Sonic 1+2; Mean Bean Machine), in addition to Castle of Illusion, so I will be testing those next.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Please take the Genesis adapter apart and then take some high res images of the pcb on both sides. We'll be able to tell you where the video amp is for modifying the brightness of the composite video.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Please take the Genesis adapter apart and then take some high res images of the pcb on both sides. We'll be able to tell you where the video amp is for modifying the brightness of the composite video.
    Sure, I'll post some pictures. However, it's the Pokefami DX's video out that could use a brightness boost.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Pokefami DX now $124.98 shipped on eBay

All, I can't necessarily endorse the seller as I've never purchased anything from her, but the Pokefami DX on eBay has had $30 lopped off its price tag. It's only $25 more than a Retro Duo Portable shipped in the US now - perhaps a more affordable alternative for international customers now, too.

I suggested the seller change the name of her auction but I don't think she's done so yet; if searching Pokefami DX does not bring any results, search portable super famicom.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Culex4096's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nusilver View Post
    All, I can't necessarily endorse the seller as I've never purchased anything from her, but the Pokefami DX on eBay has had $30 lopped off its price tag. It's only $25 more than a Retro Duo Portable shipped in the US now - perhaps a more affordable alternative for international customers now, too.

I suggested the seller change the name of her auction but I don't think she's done so yet; if searching Pokefami DX does not bring any results, search portable super famicom.
    I found it even cheaper here... only $100.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SFC-Super-Fa...#ht_771wt_1037

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Culex4096 View Post
    I found it even cheaper here... only $100.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SFC-Super-Fa...#ht_771wt_1037
    Ha! Yeah, I was going to link to that. It's the same seller. She's just lowered the price.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a SupaBoy, which was hard enough to find in Canada, and I like the look, so I'm not switching to anything else, but I'm wondering if you have a working SupaBoy that you could test the Pokefami's Famicom adapter on. I have a few Famicom games, including some multicarts, and I'd like to know if I could play them on the road, without having to buy another portable system. The adapters are about $70, and that's a bit pricey if they don't work on my Supaboy. I saw a Japanese review that said '...on SupaBoy' in the subtitled text, but they didn't show an actual SupaBoy system USING the Pokefami's Famicom adapter, so I'm a little bit weary. Besides, if the Famicom adapter works on the SupaBoy, the Mega Drive adapter might work, thereby letting me play the few Genesis games I've got on my Supaboy. Then I just need to buy a Famicom to NES pin adapter for NES games. I'm trying to play as many games as I can on my SupaBoy, and there are only so many SNES games I can afford right now, besides sports titles.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by okame View Post
    I have a SupaBoy, which was hard enough to find in Canada, and I like the look, so I'm not switching to anything else, but I'm wondering if you have a working SupaBoy that you could test the Pokefami's Famicom adapter on. I have a few Famicom games, including some multicarts, and I'd like to know if I could play them on the road, without having to buy another portable system. The adapters are about $70, and that's a bit pricey if they don't work on my Supaboy. I saw a Japanese review that said '...on SupaBoy' in the subtitled text, but they didn't show an actual SupaBoy system USING the Pokefami's Famicom adapter, so I'm a little bit weary. Besides, if the Famicom adapter works on the SupaBoy, the Mega Drive adapter might work, thereby letting me play the few Genesis games I've got on my Supaboy. Then I just need to buy a Famicom to NES pin adapter for NES games. I'm trying to play as many games as I can on my SupaBoy, and there are only so many SNES games I can afford right now, besides sports titles.
    I think your question was already answered in another post, but no, there are no adapters that let you play games from those other systems on a SupaBoy - not without hooking it up to a TV. Sounds like you already knew that when you made the decision to buy the SupaBoy, though, which makes me wonder - why'd you pick that over the RDP?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by okame View Post
    The FC Adapter (western name Retro-Port) and MD Adapter (western name Retro-Gen) work by outputting their own video feeds to a television via a side A/V jack. The PokeFami DX and its western counterpart the RetroDuo Portable support video passthrough to the LCD allowing you to effectively make Famicom and MegaDrive games portable on the device.

However, the Yobo FC 16 Go and Hyperkin SupaBoy do not support video passthrough at all, meaning the adapters are useless on the SupaBoy except if you want to use it strictly as a console plugged into the tv. You can't use them portably because there will be no video output at all.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The FC Adapter (western name Retro-Port) and MD Adapter (western name Retro-Gen) work by outputting their own video feeds to a television via a side A/V jack. The PokeFami DX and its western counterpart the RetroDuo Portable support video passthrough to the LCD allowing you to effectively make Famicom and MegaDrive games portable on the device.

However, the Yobo FC 16 Go and Hyperkin SupaBoy do not support video passthrough at all, meaning the adapters are useless on the SupaBoy except if you want to use it strictly as a console plugged into the tv. You can't use them portably because there will be no video output at all.
    and now that his question has been answered twice, I'd really like to know why he chose the SupaBoy.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I chose it because the Retro Duo Pro looked good and all, but I like the SupaBoy's retro, SNES controller look. Also, I needed something I could use on long car trips, in hotel rooms at Anime/Sci-Fi conventions, and on the convention floor itself. To me, portable gaming means that all you need are the portable console, the games, and a power source to keep things going, either batteries or a power adapter. With the RDP, to play Gameboy games, you need the Super Gameboy cart, the controller adapter, and the 3rd party controller if you want to play fighting games on the console itself. With the SupaBoy, all you need is the SupaBoy, the Super Gameboy cart, and the 3rd party controllers. Besides, I hate the look of the RDP's 3rd party SNES controllers, while any 3rd party controller that looks like an actual SNES controller, not a smaller version of the non dual shock PS1 controller, looks great plugged into the SupaBoy. I don't mind the adapters, since they look to be the same size of an average retro cart. The aesthetics of the Retro Duo pro, and the fact that even the cool, sleek, black model looks kinda stupid, make me steer clear of it. It might be technologically superior, but if Hyperkin had made the same type of system, with the same type adapters, that you didn't need a TV to use, then more people might have gotten the SupaBoy. I might break down and get a Retro Duo Pro, but then again, I might just look for a portable Famicom, and see if there are any portable 3rd party consoles that play Genesis games. The only portable Genesis options I can see, beyond the Nomad, are all emulation. I prefer my clone to let me play the original carts.