Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dragon Quest Franchise

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

DQ4 DS's cut content is only in comparison to the Japanese version, and it's really not a huge deal some people make it out to be. Should party chat have been localized? Sure. Does the lack make the game horrible? No. It's not like there was party chat in the NES version, so unless you keep up on imports and such, you wouldn't even know there was anything cut.

Some people also complain about all the accents used by the various towns, but personally I love them them and think it really adds a nice atmosphere to the game. When you get to a new area, you really think you've journeyed someplace different rather than down the block.

I would say start with DQ8 on the PS2, though. It's not just the best looking DQ, it's one of the best looking PS2 games around; it's like a cartoon come to life. Gives you a chance to try out the gameplay without feeling like you're playing something from the dark ages (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think I'm going to end up playing the NES version of IV. I didn't want to start with an NES game at first, but I hate playing games on my DS for long periods of time because it cramps the hell out of my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Kal Zakath View Post
    All in all, I'd say you'd enjoy either DQIV or DQV. It just depends on which description above appeals to you more. Still... if you can handle a paper-thin plot and absolutely no characterization, I can't say enough good things about Dragon Warrior III.
    I'm not opposed to paper-thin plots or zero characterization at all so long as the gameplay makes up for it. Story ultimately doesn't mean much to me, but a fairly interesting and cohesive plot can be a plus. I'm curious what you have to say about DQ III? What makes it stand apart from IV gameplay wise?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Kal Zakath's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhus View Post
    I'm not opposed to paper-thin plots or zero characterization at all so long as the gameplay makes up for it. Story ultimately doesn't mean much to me, but a fairly interesting and cohesive plot can be a plus. I'm curious what you have to say about DQ III? What makes it stand apart from IV gameplay wise?
    The biggest difference is that DQ III has a class system that's a lot of fun to mess around with. You choose three other party members aside from your Hero (you can pick the three premade characters or 'roll' your own) from a list of Soldier, Fighter, Pilgrim, Wizard, Merchant, or Goof-Off. In this way it's sort of similar to the original Final Fantasy for the NES.

Each of the classes have their own strengths and weaknesses... the Soldier is strong, but slow; the Wizard is weak, but possesses powerful magic; the Good-Off is horrible, but can change into the secret Sage class without the necessary item. At a certain point in the game, you'll be allowed to change your characters' (except for the Hero) classes. When you do this, the character returns to level 1 and their HP/MP and stats are halved (which basically makes them a level 1 character with level 10 stats), but keeps any and all magic they learned during their previous class.

By doing this, you can make a Soldier that can use healing magic, or a Wizard that can tank physical damage. There's also the Sage class that I mentioned before, which learns every spell that a Pilgrim and a Wizard can use, but can only be accessed by leveling up a Goof-Off or finding a rare item in one of the game's dungeons.

In contrast, the characters in DQ IV are all pre-set. Ragnar will always be a Soldier, Taloon will always be a Merchant, etc. These characters already have histories and back stories, but you don't really get to customize them beyond their equipment. They become even less interactive once the AI system sets in.

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

I think for story/characters especially, DQV is the best of them all. Nothing wrong with it's gameplay either, and the DS version isn't missing any content. You also have your choice of Super Famicom, PS2, or DS, as all three are available in English now. IV and VI are also quite good games, even if IV still doesn't have an "ideal" version to play (hopefully someone will translate the PSX one someday, or re-insert the party chat to the DS one).

III is pretty good if you are into class systems and making your own party, yeah. You won't find any memorable characters in your party that way, but the game itself is quite enjoyable.

VIII is indeed, as said above, a good example on how to take a 2D series into 3D without sacrificing what made it great to begin with. Very good characterization going on in that one, excellent gameplay, it's a good one.

I would not really recommend VII to someone trying to get into the series / not wanting much of a grind. That game is like climbing a very tall mountain in RPG form. It's a long, long game. It's a good game, but when it comes to "which should I play first/next?" questions I general do not feel suggesting it is the best idea. Similarly I think IX is not a great entry point either. But that's my personal thoughts there, obviously some people disagree.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember playing the original Dragon Warrior for the first time around 2000 or so. It was insane. Your basically a lone warrior wandering a wasteland of monster killing everything in your path.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think DW4 is the best entry point. You have 5 groups of characters (8 total characters) with their own back stories, they are interchangeable for certain tasks in chapter 5 (dialogue from certain NPCs change depending on who's in your party).

I was going to say DW3, but you need to finish DW1 to get a full appreciation of DW3.

But DW1 is awesome in its own way, maybe a little too simplistic if you're used to FF.