Thread: How to play nes on modern tv

Insert Coin (Level 0) lookfun78's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default How to play nes on modern tv

Is there a way to play nes on a modern TV for a guy who won't own a wii. My TV is 5 years old and has r,y,w cables inputs only. So is it possible to or is there a cheep way to play it on a modern TV? Oh how do I connect this to my TV with one that has 2 channels for non TV inputs and one for TV?
    Last edited by lookfun78; 01-31-2012 at 01:03 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

I guess I'm confused; R, B, W? Red, blue, and white?

If you're in the U.S. the only colored connectors will be red, white, and yellow which are composite. Or red, green, and blue which is component. Any modern T.V. will have the red, white, and yellow connectors which is what you would connect the NES to. The red and white is audio and the yellow is video. The NES has only a red and yellow connector on the side because it will only output mono audio. Just get a RCA y-splitter at Radio Shack to split the mono signal to both the red and white connectors on your T.V. Now, any modern T.V. has a coaxial connector on it as well. Which you would use to connect the NES via the R/F switch. Connecting an NES to a modern T.V is no different than an older T.V.

If this is and LCD, Plasma, or DLP television your light gun will not work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by lookfun78 View Post
    My TV is 5 years old and has r,y,w cables inputs only.
    Do you mean red yellow and white cable inputs? That's composite video - just what you're looking for. The Yellow signal is video, the white is mono audio, the red is stereo audio. The NES is mono, so Only hook up the yellow and white cables.

If this isn't what you have, take a picture of the inputs your tv does have. Me or someone else here will be able to assist you.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It's will look like crap

Just tell your friend play it on a CRT TV

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    I guess I'm confused; R, B, W? Red, blue, and white?

If you're in the U.S. the only colored connectors will be red, white, and yellow which are composite. Or red, green, and blue which is component. Any modern T.V. will have the red, white, and yellow connectors which is what you would connect the NES to. The red and white is audio and the yellow is video. The NES has only a red and yellow connector on the side because it will only output mono audio. Just get a RCA y-splitter at Radio Shack to split the mono signal to both the red and white connectors on your T.V. Now, any modern T.V. has a coaxial connector on it as well. Which you would use to connect the NES via the R/F switch. Connecting an NES to a modern T.V is no different than an older T.V.

If this is and LCD, Plasma, or DLP television your light gun will not work.
    Oddly enough, I think Composite RCA is being phased out. I almost bought a Samsung TV that didn't have it - only HDMI, coaxial RF and Component.

It's bad enough they don't put s-video on TV's anymore

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dreamcaster View Post
    Oddly enough, I think Composite RCA is being phased out. I almost bought a Samsung TV that didn't have it - only HDMI, coaxial RF and Component.
    Yeah those cheapasses.. I mean heck if you're going to still include Coax, why not composite? There's still a ton of things that use composite inputs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Quote Originally Posted by dreamcaster View Post

It's bad enough they don't put s-video on TV's anymore
    I suppose they are, and it doesn't bother me all that much as anything through the composite looks like garbage on new televisions. Not having the S-Video does bother me slightly, but then again it never really caught on big in the first place. Though I'm in the process of moving all my older systems over to S-Video. Then again, when I have the space all the older systems will be going back on my nice CRT.

Quote Originally Posted by NE146 View Post
    Yeah those cheapasses.. I mean heck if you're going to still include Coax, why not composite? There's still a ton of things that use composite inputs.
    I can see the point, but not much you're hooking up to a modern television uses composite anymore. They keep the coaxial because a lot of people still watch OTA and use an antenna.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Samsungs that lack dedicated composite jacks still will run composite devices, you just have to plug the yellow video cord into the green jack of the component inputs. It's a shared input.

I have a Samsung, and this is how I connected my NES, it works fine. Well as fine as an NES can on an LCD anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    Do you mean red yellow and white cable inputs? That's composite video - just what you're looking for. The Yellow signal is video, the white is mono audio, the red is stereo audio. The NES is mono, so Only hook up the yellow and white cables.

If this isn't what you have, take a picture of the inputs your tv does have. Me or someone else here will be able to assist you.

I always forget that white/left channel can double for mono.

Last edited by StealthLurker; 02-03-2012 at 05:44 PM.
    __________________________________________________ ___

[ Severely Outdated Game Collection Pics ]
    [ My Multi-screen MADNESS!! ]

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StealthLurker View Post
    What?

Isn't Red right channel audio and White left channel audio?

Yeah for stereo audio. Mono audio is only output through the white cable. Red may work too, I dunno... but you cant have both plugged in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    Samsungs that lack dedicated composite jacks still will run composite devices, you just have to plug the yellow video cord into the green jack of the component inputs. It's a shared input.

I have a Samsung, and this is how I connected my NES, it works fine. Well as fine as an NES can on an LCD anyway.
    *facepalm* I probably would've bought the samsung then as it was cheaper than the LG I ended up with. Especially given that I don't even use the composite inputs anyway now since I bought an s-video to HDMI converter.

Oh well - I'll remember for next time.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post

I guess that only works for Samsung. I just tried it for my PS1 on my Sharp that does have composite inputs and it will only show up in black & white from the green input in the component section.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    I guess that only works for Samsung. I just tried it for my PS1 on my Sharp that does have composite inputs and it will only show up in black & white from the green input in the component section.
    Yeah, it's not some native function of composite, apparently. It does some sort of sensing to select between composite or component. If you've got just the green jack used it changes to composite mode, if you've got all three jacks used it switches to component. In the TV's input selector they even show up as separate channels, it's got AV 1 & 2 and Component 1 & 2, even though there are only two sets of those inputs.

It's kind of a pain how it means taking up a component slot to use composite, but fortunately I don't have many component devices. Mainly the Wii for now.