Thread: Is Micro Machines 2: Turbo Tournament a legit Game Boy Release

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Is Micro Machines 2: Turbo Tournament a legit Game Boy Release

Like the title say's I was wondering if Micro Machines 2: Turbo Tournament a legit Game Boy Release the code is DMG -A2XP-UKV.

I picked it up in a bundle of game's I won from eBay and after checking it's current worth I couldn't find anyone selling a copy.

Any info would be great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wiki article here (click on show).

It seems it was released for several systems in Europe but only on PC for North America.

Here is the only current for sale one on ebay.com and ebay.eu (they are being sold by the same seller).
    My Amazon Store. Mostly odds and ends but it includes video games when I replace them with a better (or complete) game.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One recently sold for a little over a buck: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-Machin...#ht_738wt_1108
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah, Micro Machines 2 was only released in the US on the PC, while in Europe they got it on PC, SNES, Genesis, Game Boy, and Game Gear. However, the US did get the GBC port, Micro Machines 1 & 2: Twin Turbo. It's not the greatest of ports, though -- I loved MM1 for GB and MM2 for PC (I got the US releases of both of those), but didn't like MM1+2 as much. The link cable mode was removed, so multiplayer is "two on one system" only, and some of the color choices are poor and make it hard to see the road... if you want a GBC MM game get Micro Machines V3, which is a better port.

Also, MM2 is a hard game -- they increased the speeds substantially in MM2 versus the first game, and on the small screens of the GB, GG, or GBC, it takes a lot of memorization to not miss turns frequently, I found. The game's hard on the PC and other consoles too, certainly, but not quite as hard. MM1 and MMV3 are a little slower on the handhelds I would say.

But anyway, yeah, the B&W GB MM2 did get a European release.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah this game is reasonably easy to obtain here in Australia

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for getting back to me guy's, dam good forum this!

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon View Post
    However, the US did get the GBC port, Micro Machines 1 & 2: Twin Turbo. It's not the greatest of ports, though -- I loved MM1 for GB and MM2 for PC (I got the US releases of both of those), but didn't like MM1+2 as much.
    I kind of feel the same way, I've never played the 2nd game on the PC or original Gameboy but I've played the first game on the orignal Gameboy and have MM1+2 on the Gameboy Color. I find the controls aren't as good on the Gameboy Color version, they keep sliding way too much. Maybe it's just me but something feels off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I kind of feel the same way, I've never played the 2nd game on the PC or original Gameboy but I've played the first game on the orignal Gameboy and have MM1+2 on the Gameboy Color. I find the controls aren't as good on the Gameboy Color version, they keep sliding way too much. Maybe it's just me but something feels off.
    The controls might be worse too, wouldn't surprise me at all... what I mostly remember are the iffy color choices, the general disappointment, and how on my GB I could not see the lines from the background on those red and white crosshatched picnic table areas, so those tracks were essentially impossible. Yeah, that was fun. It was also too bad that they didn't add any more multiplayer tracks in MM1 -- I mean, I've never understood why the multiplayer mode in that game is restricted to only seven of the game's many tracks, it's so annoying -- and, as I said, the removal of link cable mode was also a big letdown. The original GB MM1 was a fantastic link cable multiplayer title, and even had four player support via the GB multitap! (I'm not sure about the B&W release of MM2, never played that one. Does anyone know if it has link cable or multitap support?) It was pretty cool to be able to play a normal multiplayer race in a MM game, given how all of the home console titles only have the "get to the top of the screen to get a point" style of multiplayer. That's great too, but it's even better when you can choose either kind, as you can on the original GB release, provided you have multiple copies and systems and the link cable(s) of course.

But anyway, given how poor 1+2 was, I don't know why I got the GBC version of V3 anyway, particularly considering that I had an N64 too and MM64 is a version of V3 and even though I'd been interested I didn't get that version until many years later, but considering how good the GBC version of V3 is, I was glad I did. I guess I wanted to give the series another chance on the GB anyway, despite 1+2, because I'd loved the original GB title so much, and it was worth it. Honestly, I think the GBC version of V3 might be easier than the PS1/N64 version, because the strictly overhead 2d viewpoint is easier to deal with and memorize than the rotating 3d camera of the TV console game... and yeah, the tracks are pretty much the same, platform differences aside. Five cars in each race too, just like the other versions. The only real negative is that like 1+2, there is no link cable mode. Also, password save instead of memory card saving like on the consoles, which reminds me of the GB/GG NBA Jam games, which have password saving only, while the console games all have on-cart saves... it's kind of annoying, but at least the MMV3 passwords are only eight characters, so they're not too bad.